Yeah... I Still Love MS Windows

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Thirteen security updates took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to download and install along with 3 reboots to get it all done. Yeah... I still love Windows. Umm-hmm...

g7p0u64.png

Hello,

That sounds like a lot of updates! Was that just one month's worth of updates for Windows 10?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Sounds like you may have gotten the Creator's Update if we are talking Windows 10. I haven't had that pleasure yet. I got 3 updates recently, security stuff mostly.

Thirteen security updates took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to download and install along with 3 reboots to get it all done. Yeah... I still love Windows. Umm-hmm...

g7p0u64.png

Only three reboots , blimey you were lucky. :whistling:

It is 7 you are using ?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, Win 7 Enterprise. It had been about 1 year since my last update session. I gave up on updating this OS back then because MS' servers were creepy-crawly slow back then for some reason or another. The downloads this time took about 25 minutes, but all the installing, errors, returning to restore points, reboots, retries, etc. added up to the remaining time that I spend to accomplish this.

It's done now, though. There really wasn't a need to do these updates at all. My installation of 7 is crippled (no networking enabled), so security issues while being exposed to the Internet are extremely rare for this OS. Actually, the ONLY time I access the Internet with this operating system is when I get around to updating. The rest of the time the OS has ZERO access to the Internet/Ethernet.

Hello,

I tend to patch Windows systems on a monthly schedule--sometimes more frequently if an out-of-band patch is released. Otherwise, like you found out, the patches begin to stack up and take a while to process.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Yes, Win 7 Enterprise. It had been about 1 year since my last update session. I gave up on updating this OS back then because MS' servers were creepy-crawly slow back then for some reason or another.

I think that was to do with some buggy patches MS sent out and you had to jump though hoops to sort it. They fixed it eventually with further updates and it is now business as normal.

:breakfast:

I run 7 almost the same as you except I log in to Steam and download CCCleaner and Nvidia and security program updates. I never ever surf or do anything else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...