Almost ready to go!!

beeTee

Looks good to me beeTee !As for the 14.6 for Mandrake; let Mandrake devide that in 3G ¨ / ¨ and the rest ¨ /home ¨ !Chosing packages; do ALL on the left side and leave the default ones in the right colum ! ( that is if you do not want to run a mail- or webserver !B) Bruno

Good news!!! I just got off the phone with a computer guru (and friend of mine) and he will bring me a complete new and latest version of SuSE (original DVD set) this afternoon. SO I should have a both. Mandrake 9.1 (although I don't yet know if the images were "good" or not).I'm backing up now. Should be ready to start NLT 2100 L (1900z) or 3:00 PM East Coast. B) B) It's unbelievable how many Views a new linux install generates!! 153 to date!! I feel like I'm on display. Better don my shades. B) Where can I go to find me a penguin avatar??

Looks good. When you partition, choose to do it manually so you have more control over your partitions. My recommendations for partitions and mount points would be the following (although Bruno may have a different opinion) is this:/boot 100MB / 500MB /usr 3GB /usr/local 4GB/home 5GB/var 1.5GB/tmp 500MBswap 250-521MB depending on how much RAM you have

with SuSE's install, there is no "Disk Druid", but at one stage of the install, it asks to confirm SuSE's default partition setup, so either choose OK if it looks good, or click Edit or Advanced or something like that to split up the free space into / /swap /usr /home. I also had 14gb, and i think i went 1gb for /, 500mb for swap, 3gb for /usr and rest for /home, if i remember correctly.also, just so you dont get confused, SuSE's default is Reiser file system instead of the usual ext3 FS (maybe its a german preferrence), and GRUB is the default one. LiLo is available too, but I havent tried it and Grub did a nice job detecting my dual boot win98se/winXP.for install packages, i just went with default, and after i had it all runing, starting add a few and trying them out. actually, with all the stuff on the DVD, it will take me til christmas to go thru all the programs. :lol: also note, to get nicer looking fonts, install MS Fonts in the package. I didnt realize it was there, so i downloaded an RPM from the net, but it also worked fine. I dont know why its not selected by default. could be licensing issues.

Looks good. When you partition, choose to do it manually so you have more control over your partitions. My recommendations for partitions and mount points would be the following (although Bruno may have a different opinion) is this:/boot        100MB /                500MB /usr          3GB /usr/local  4GB/home        5GB/var            1.5GB/tmp            500MBswap          250-521MB depending on how much RAM you have
I followed Papa Penguin's advice, but i'm just curious.what is /var partition?/boot is just if you will have several distros, right?whats dif between having /usr and /usr/local?and last question, I thought /swap was same as /temp. difference?

My advive: If this is your very first Linux install, and you have not used Linux before; KEEP IT SIMPLE ! You will be installing an other version or distro soon anyway, then at that time, as you have learned a bit, a more compley lay-out is preferable ! But take little steps at a time.Just 2 cents ( maybe a bit more ):lol: Bruno

what is /var partition?/boot is just if you will have several distros, right?whats dif between having /usr and /usr/local?and last question, I thought /swap was same as /temp. difference?
/var is where the log files from running processes are kept. The idea to put it in a separate partition is for security and backup. If you wipe out your distro and reinstall, you can leave /var intact to keep all the old logs. Seperating /usr/local out from /usr means that if you reinstall, you can keep all your apps you previously downloaded and installed without having to re-download them. When you compile most apps from source, they tend to install in /usr/local. I also keep all my .tar.gz source files in /usr/local/src. swap is the swap partition which is quite different from a /tmp or /temp partition. Again separating /tmp into its own partition is a preference. But logically, this makes good filesystem practice because it's easier to do backups of the partitions with the critical data and exclude the non-critical stuff. If you had everything in / then you'd either backup the whole / partition or individual directories. By seperating them out into different partitions you can specify the exact partition. This is analogous to having c:\ for Windows system files, d:\ for apps, and e:\ for data.

D***, Peachy. you gave me $10 worth. Do you need $9.98 change or can I just keep it all? :lol: my IQ jumps up each time i read this forum

Hi Everyone,I'm running late. Mainly my daughter mustered up a little more energy than expected.Prelude, Your comments are helping very much. I "watched" your installation, so any questions you put our are helping me.Peachy, thanks for the partition/mount point (does mount points translate into directory structure in windows, i doubt it) advice. Do I do this on install?? can it be done later with little to no pain??Bruno, If the breakdown as Peachy laid out is not to painful, then I'd like to give it a try.I've got here in my greedy little hands SuSE Linux Pro 8.2 Should I use the 1 cd DVD install, or the 6 CD set install.Thanks in advance. I'm looking at another hour. Do I need to format my D:drive first to fat32, or will the installation offer this (like windows does)???

Do I need to format my D:drive first to fat32
No linux will take care of that and format it in ext3 or reiserfs !
Bruno, If the breakdown as Peachy laid out is not to painful, then I'd like to give it a try.
Sure, go ahaid !
Should I use the 1 cd DVD install, or the 6 CD set install.
Use the DVD, saves you changing the CD´s all the time !Good LuckB) Bruno

Do I need to format my D:drive first to fat32
No linux will take care of that and format it in ext3 or reiserfs !Good Luck
OK, but will my windows be able to read/write to this drive. I gotta get better at asking my questions!!!! :ph34r:

You've got C: Windows/D: Data/E: linux right? then yes you'd want your D: drive as Fat32...If you're just using C: Windows/D: linux then windows won't be able to read the Linux partition no matter what, so you don't need to format it :)

Peachy, thanks for the partition/mount point (does mount points translate into directory structure in windows, i doubt it) advice.  Do I do this on install??  can it be done later with little to no pain??
Actually, yes and no. The idea is analogous but not in 1:1 sort of way. Windows 2000 and XP can do mount points ala Linux. It's called reparse points. Basically you can mount a partition or disk into a folder in NTFS. For example, I could have a second partition or disk called d:\ . I could create a folder called c:\apps and then mount the d:\ into c:\apps. Thus I can write data on my d:\ but use c:\apps as the place to put them.

Prelude, Your comments are helping very much.  I "watched" your installation, so any questions you put our are helping me.I've got here in my greedy little hands SuSE Linux Pro 8.2  Should I use the 1 cd DVD install, or the 6 CD set install.Thanks in advance.  I'm looking at another hour.  Do I need to format my D:drive first to fat32, or will the installation offer this (like windows does)???
"watched?" :) I feel like i'm in Truman Show. :) too much exposure from Scott :) i wont be back til monday night, unfortunately.. we have a long weekend up here in canadaCD or DVD dont matter, just a few programs load by default...installation does it all.. very helpful... good luck!

THis is going to clarify how much I understood Peachys last post. When I tried to delete the partition in disk management, it told me that I would have to change my boot.ini file. I searched for it to see what I was getting into, and I DIDN'T find one!!

THis is going to clarify how much I understood Peachys last post.  When I tried to delete the partition in disk management, it told me that I would have to change my boot.ini file.  I searched for it to see what I was getting into, and I DIDN'T find one!!
Which partition would that be, again?

hello??? HELLO!!!!!!! HELLO!!!!I am writing this from my NEW SuSE Linux OS. :D :D What I am actually doing with it, only time will tell, but my ISDN card workded the first time, much more painlessly than in windows. B) now to look around a little bit!! :blink: :unsure: :blink: :unsure:

Congratulations beeTee !Good job !Come on beeTee tell us about it. The full story, how does it look, how does it feel etc.etc. ! :unsure: Bruno

I'm back in windows to see if it still works. IT DOES. So I have to call it a complete success, even though it didn't go exactly as I intended. It wouldn't let me instal SuSE on my E: drive, so it's on d: no biggie.I'm pooped, so it's time to walk the dog and hit the sack.

Thank you all.

Double Congrats!!Hope you can now try to incorporate into your daily life more and more each day.
I get to use my computer at home very little. So I plan to spend as much time as possible with SuSE, finding programs I like, getting the feel for it. Learning directory structure and use, and putting the good advice contained in these pages to good use. Maybe I can talk my bosses into daul-booting a machine here so we have a LINUX system to learn and play on. B) Just some notes for any of you thinking about taking the Linux plunge. Installation (with SuSE) was a breeze. Forget about the M$ crap of installing drivers and all that rebooting...... SuSE found all my hardware, had the drivers for them, and just went straight on through. total time took about 30 minutes, including me stumbling through configuring my ISDN card. But compared to** the ISDN card went in so simple, I could not believe it. Once the machine re-booted, the desktop came up. I connected to the internet first try. Gotta love it!!Be BOLD!! Jump right in. NO....DIVE. get your head wet!! B) B)

It´s nice to see someone so happy and full of desire to learn ! I think with the spirit you have, you could be able to convince your boss to dualboot. As far as I know the German governement is even promoting the use of Linux, so if you are using SuSE, a German product after all, they should rise your monthly pay with at least 10% tax-reduction :DB) Bruno

congrats on the success! it's a sweet looking OS, eh?I showed SuSE 8.2 to my older brother over the weekend, (he just runs XP) and he's like "I'm bringing my pC next weekend and you're putting this on mine! this looks amazing!"Once I have the CDs, can I load it on another legally, since they have a free FTP install? How free is Linux (notably SuSE's?)