Almost ready to go!!

beeTee

OK Bruno,Penguin fever is running rapid. I have a window of opportunity starting tonight to mentally prepare (study some more), then tomorrow (Munchen Time, someone changed my german keyboard!!) I can cleanup/backup my computer in the afternoon (during daughters nap), then start with install in the evening, after said daughters bed time. I have to configure (myself) for 12 hour mid shifts the 17th, so staying up late will be a good idea!! :D I've pretty much decided on Mandrake, I'll use the link you provided for Curly to download and burn it tonight. More questions to follow.I have no Idea about dual boot, partitioning, etc, but if I understand correctly, the Mandrake installation takes care of the dual boot configuration?? I don't even know if I have the proper vocabulary!! :rolleyes: :blink:OK!! lots to study, Maybe I need a new avatar for the next few days!! OH!! one important question, could be a show stopper. Do you know if FRITZ! ISDN cards are supported in Linux?? I guess I can check the AVM site. :D

beeTee

I have no Idea about dual boot, partitioning, etc, but if I understand correctly, the Mandrake installation takes care of the dual boot configuration??
Yes ! No problems there, only see to it that Mandrake does not take ALL free space ( you will need some for windows too ), for the dual-boot just let Mandrake install Lilo in the MBR ! ( default )
I don't even know if I have the proper vocabulary!!
That should be your LAST problem !
Do you know if FRITZ! ISDN cards are supported in Linux?? I guess I can check the AVM site
Do not know, my guess is it will, you can check their site or Google for ¨Linux Fritz ISDN¨ !TjüzzB) Bruno

Bruno -- Yes ! No problems there, only see to it that Mandrake does not take ALL free space ( you will need some for windows too ), for the dual-boot just let Mandrake install Lilo in the MBR ! (default )I'm heavily thinking about doing format, repartition, and a clean install of my win2000. When I initially set up my system, I gave myself like 14 GB for my operating system. ( I have 40 gig to play with) I've come to learn that's TOO much. Thinking of about 5gig for that. I don't keep any data on my C: drive, so it should be enough.ALSO, if I understand correctly, Mandrake can "share" folders with windows? like:c: =win2kd: =datae:= mandrake?then both win2k and mandrake can access file on the D: drive?? plz confirm

ALSO, if I understand correctly, Mandrake can "share" folders with windows? like:c: =win2kd: =datae:= mandrake?then both win2k and mandrake can access file on the D: drive?? plz confirm
Yes the names will be different from what you list there, but all will be accesable from Mandrake ( NOT from Windows --> Mandrake but YES from Mandrake---> Windows , once in mandrake you can read and write on your windows partitions ! )Since you will do a full re-format choose Fat32 for your windows and data, that makes it easier for Mandrake to write to.:lol: Bruno

My suggestion is that you make the primary Win2k partition NTFS (much better filesystem than Fat32), and then the data drive in Fat32 :lol: That's what I've done with mine and it works quite well :)EDIT - You won't be able to write to your C: drive from Mandrake, but you will be able to read it... Shouldn't need to write to it anyway :lol:

EDIT - You won't be able to write to your C: drive from Mandrake, but you will be able to read it... Shouldn't need to write to it anyway ;)
That is why I told his to format it Fat32 ! That way he would be able to fix his Windows software if it ever gets seriously messed up ! :lol: (wierder stuff has happend . . . ):lol: Bruno

Thanks Bill, errrrr, Ryan,I've had some problems/confusion in the Disk Managment department of win2k before (mostly mis-management on my part) although my mistakes have made me proficent at doing clean installs. :lol: I'm thinking I should get an eval copy of Partition Magic to complete the reszing of my C: drive before I reinstall. my current D and E drives were created the same way when my box was new.Bruno, Ryan...... Since I'm starting fresh, I guess I can format FAT32, and convert to NTFS at a later date!! I didn't know you can fix Windows with Linux. No wonder Bill would like to see Linux go!!btw, I DO have some limited unix experience, lots of vax/vms experience (albeit no DCL, I just learned how to ad a column in exel!! :lol: don't know the first thing about programing.) So working from a command line is not threatening at all.

Curly
Curly? New nickname for me? Just wait, I am watching. Hope it goes wll. If I get my disks tomorrow, I might mess with Mandrake too since I have the weekend free. Good luck!

Bruno, Ryan...... Since I'm starting fresh, I guess I can format FAT32, and convert to NTFS at a later date!!  I didn't know you can fix Windows with Linux.  No wonder Bill would like to see Linux go!!
Well... there aren't any specific Linux based, Windows fixing tools that I know of... It just means you can edit/fix system files becasue they won't be locked up in Windows...You could do that from any other OS... Example, you could have XP on one partition and 2k on another and do the same thing as Linux :D

Curly
Curly? New nickname for me? Good luck!
Hi Julia, Saw you there. Thanks for the luck. :D I'll start downloading here in a minute.btw, I'm natural curly myself. Well, I used to be more curly before my forehead started to grow. and grow!! :D

beeTee:Good luck pal ! Halz und Beinbruch ! ( you spotted that right: ¨Bill¨ )Julia:Is he getting to familiar with you calling you curly ? Ican call him some German names if you want me to !Can´t wait to get you set up with Mandrake. Hope the disks come in before the weekend !:D Bruno

A German running Mandrake??  Shouldn't you be running SuSE??? :D :D
Well, I'm only Half German, by blood, which has nothing to do with me living here. :) I might eventually end up with SuSE, but right now, the amount of time I have means it's not worth paying for something to learn on. :D disk one, 45 minutes to go!! :)

LOL... It's just funny to see someone from Germany running software written by the French :D Nothing against Mandrake... it's what I'm running on my system, and I love it! :D Very "newbie" friendly :D

Yee haw!!! Another Penguinista in the making. I was getting jaded with Windows XP; the thing works and you really can't tweak it much other than shutting down a few services. But Linux makes computing fun again. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm not making a mistake here. I'm ftp'n the image drives from denmark. I'm on a system at work without an ftp program, so I just dragged and dropped. In the readme, it says make sure I do it in binary (which is something i should already know !!). question is, is this the default of "drag and drop" or is it automatic selection, or am I wasting a huge amount of time and bandwidth?? :rolleyes: :blink:

just run a checksum when you're done (see Bruno's tips for Linux starters) and if it checks out, you'll be okay...

I hope I'm not making a mistake here.  I'm ftp'n the image drives from denmark.  I'm on a system at work without an ftp program, so I just dragged and dropped.  In the readme, it says make sure I do it in binary (which is something i should already know !!).  question is, is this the default of "drag and drop" or is it automatic selection, or am I wasting a huge amount of time and bandwidth??  :rolleyes:  :blink:
Methinks it should be fine. To be safe if you are using Windows XP then you should have command line ftp. Log in with that and then type binary before you get the file.

LOL...  It's just funny to see someone from Germany running software written by the French :D  Nothing against Mandrake...  it's what I'm running on my system, and I love it! :D  Very "newbie" friendly :)
what's even funnier is all the Americans switching from American-made software for French and German-made software. :blink: I wonder if Russia and China are quickly finishing up some kick-butt Linux distros too, to join this 'Operation Windows Freedom". :D :rolleyes:

what's even funnier is all the Americans switching from American-made software for French and German-made software.  :rolleyes:
Blame Bruno for that! :blink: Actually, I used to like Mandrake. I first used Mandrake 6 and then went up to 7.1. But then I had trouble installing Mandrake 8.x and stopped playing with Linux until this winter. It was then at work I had to learn how to install Red Hat 8.0 and get it stable so they could actually teach it in the Linux course. Since then I've played with 7.3 and 9. I hated Red Hat for the longest time because I could never get 4.1 or 5.2 to install. It was only last week that I installed Mandrake 9.1 for the first time. Right now, my preference is Red Hat 8.0 as it is very stable and relatively up to date.

I agree Peachy 8 is a lot more stable than 9 - heard that the 2.6 kernal is gonna be out end of next month, something to look forward to I hope

Hey... Cool... I think you'll be happy with Mandrake if your just coming off of Windoze... I'll throw my two cents in..... I'll warn everyone right now.... I have a tendency to post REALLY long... When I first started on Linux, people would post a reply assuming I was a rocket scientist or something.... "Hey, guy.... I just got off of windows... What the **** are you talking about?" People just blow hot air when they do that....Anyway......If you have "unallocated space" (not assigned to a partition) on your hard drive, it makes it MUCH easier.... If not, you can do a good defrag or TWO and then use FIPS, which is on your 1st Mandrake disk I believe.... There are 2 folders with FIPS. One is for FAT32(fips15?) and the Other is for NTFS(fips20?).... FIPS will steal free space from a Windows partition and make a new, seperate partition from it... Using Windoze for years got me accustomed to formatting all the time. I prefer to just wipe the entire hard drive and start fresh... I'm a backup freak and it doesn't bother me..... Install Windows first, whatever you do. Makes life easier all around... Linux will see Windows and want to play nice, but Windows..... Eh..... You'll corrupt your MBR and Linux will no longer boot if you install Linux first without backing up your MBR ( Master Boot Record )... The install process for Drake is really straight forward.... Has great hardware support.... I prefer to "Manually partition with Disk Druid"..... If you have it automattically do it, It will eat up your entire hard drive..... Here's what I do.... I use 98se for games..... Xp for all my trial software that I'm too cheap to buy.... I format Xp every 30 days and then reinstall Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Blindwrite, ect.......... And a shared partiton for "programs". Then I use Red Hat for my every day to day OS.... Web, Email, Office apps, what have you..... Once you install your Windows(or already have free space available that's not on your windows partition....) Boot up with your Mandrake CD.... Pick the "Manually partiton with disk druid"... Make a " / " partition with "atleast 2 gb." of space on the default etc3 file system. Mandrake uses 1.7 gb on a "personal desktop" install.... By the way... 2k uses under 1gb of space, not including your swap. 2 gb. of 2k is PLENTY if you install all your programs to another "shared" partition". If your not going to maunally install tarballs (.tar.gz) and throw them on your "shared partition", ie- use rpms to install, you'll want to have atleast 3 gb. for your root partition ( "/").... Hope I'm not loosing you.... you have 40 gb. hard drive? Just use 3-4 gb. for " / ".... and a few hundred Mb. for swap, which can be found under the "file system" drop down menu........ Don't really need a " /boot" partition...... If Disk Druid whines about it, just allocate 10-20 Mb. for " /boot".... You don't need one tho..... This is getting really long... Sorry.... I'm thinking back to my days when I just quit suckling from bill and felt like a babe in the woods. That feeling kept me from going to Linux for almost a year.... IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!!! No matter what Uncle Bill may have you believe.... Once you have your " / " and your " swap " partitions set, plow forward..... Once you hit your boot loader screen, select "lilo" or "grub". I think Lilo is default for Drake.... I kinda' like Grub better, but they are both good.... Install Grub or Lilo on your MBR....You should see "DOS" and "Linux something or other" listed as OS's...... Take this oppurtunity to "EDIT" the "DOS" to "Windows" or whatever you want to call Windows... Pick your default OS (indicated by the check mark).... If you turn on your computer and then walk away, this is the one that will be loaded when you return..... If you have more than 2 Windows OS's, don't worry... They are both there..... Once you start your computer, you'll hit the boot loader screen and as soon as you pick "Windows" or "DOS", it will load the MS boot loader and you can pick which MS OS from there..... Whew....... I told you guy's, I post REALLY long..... I never assume that someone knows about Linux until they say so, or give me the impression that they know......... As for the shared partition, I ussually do that in windows Xp or 2K thru Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ Computer Management/Disk Management...... It's a good idea to format in "FAT32", Otherwise, boot up with a DOS floppy and FDISK... Create your "shared" partition there..... O.k.... Done.... Sorry...... Lot's of people here who will walk you thru it.... Good luck..... I'll try to tone it down in the future.... I get carried away sometimes..... ;) Jon

Wow you weren't kidding when you said you like to post long post. Glad to have ya aboard and hope you keep on posting.

jong357 ---- WOW!!!!!! I'll have to read all that after I sleep. I'm finished with mid shift in 15 min and all my brain cares about is the pillow!!!but on a sad note, I was not able to get the images burned this morning. ;) Everyone, Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll be dreaming about it today.... ZZZZZZzzzzz

Errr..... O.k...... You are using Xp???? I forget whether or not you mentioned... 2k? I use Roxio Easy Cd Creator...... It comes with Xp...... Every image I've downloaded has been an Easy Cd Creator image, or just a recognizable extension that Roxio tags an icon to.......... Has a picture of a hard drive with a disk overlapping it?????? It's just an image file that most burning software will recognize... If your using Roxio, all you have to do is double click on the image file and off you go...... Nero..... You have to...um....... Bruno knows about nero more than I do, but it's easy thru that as well..... I used it for about 2 seconds....Geez...... Not too much help here... What burning software are you using, by the way? Jon

the box I'm installing on has win2k. but I downloaded at work and burned there. with nero. no problem there, I believe. I've been using nero for a few years. I should have the disks this evening if I can count on 2 other people. I think I can. B) Only probelm is that I couldn't verify the download with the md5 (or whatever it is). so if I got lucky, I'll be a Linux fool by midnight!! B) I'm going to get my puter ready now. Decided against a new install of windows....leave well enough alone, and all that.So, just to confirm. I will "unallocate" what is now my E: (14.6 GB) drive for Mandrake. So my hard drive will look like:C: win2k NTFS 11.9 gbD: DATA FAT32 (for both wind2k and Mandrake) 11.7 gbE: Mandrake 14.6 gbdoes anyone see a problem with this??