Screen and computer cleaners

I bet 99% of the members of this forum know that nearly every product sold to clean computers and their screens is nothing more than relabeled isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol is a good cleaning agent, but I wanted to pass along a tip that we discovered at work, where we clean hundreds of computers a day.

The highest percentage of alcohol that should be used on computers, TVs, monitors or screens is 70%. It would seem like 99% would clean better, but actually, it poses a risk. We found that 99% alcohol, if not wiped off immediately, begins to etch into the plastic computer body. It's too strong for general cleaning. It might be fine for glass but not computers, TVs or their screens and monitors.

• Like 5

Being Oirish it would be sacrilege to waste alcohol on such a mundane operation as cleaning the screen .HoleyMoley...

I use a combination of breath steam and a well worn old sock . It works really well. I have come to the conclusion that the heavy oils that seep out of the soles of the feet after a good booze up are soaked into the sock and act as a detergent while the breath steam becomes a surfactant .Hesto presto a very cost effective screen cleaner . :thumbup:

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

I clean computers and keyboards with about 90 psi from the compressor out in the shop. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads-up Jeber! One of my nephews works in an IT dept in New Orleans, and they use a product from Endust. Endust for Electronics Anti-static Gel Screen Cleaner. It shows "Alcohol & Ammonia Free" on the label. I've used it on our PC monitors and all 3 flat screen TV's - 27", 40", and the 60" that Santa delivered last December :-).

• Like 1

If you are a diabetic (or even if you are not) BD Alcohol Swabs are a little cloth pre-soaked in 70% Isopropyl alcohol.

You are supposed to wipe your skin with one of these before an injection.

These work to clean everything from computer monitors to your sneakers.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Cluttermagnet
On 3/12/2017 at 11:18 PM, jsalpha2 said:

If you are a diabetic (or even if you are not) BD Alcohol Swabs are a little cloth pre-soaked in 70% Isopropyl alcohol.

You are supposed to wipe your skin with one of these before an injection.

These work to clean everything from computer monitors to your sneakers.

Great tip. I have some lying around, though not from personal use.

I'll try that...

Clutter