Installing the Recovery Console in SP2

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

I created a new page dealing with the problem of trying to install the RC post-sp2:http://www.windowstalk.org/rc_sp2.htmIt's also accessable from the SP2 page under the "Before You Install SP2" heading.It's not a big issue, but it has come up in a few forums.

Edited by James M. Fisher

It's not a big issue, but it has come up in a few forums.
I'm sorry James, but the way I look at it, you have those 2 options :-uninstall SP2 and then install the Recovery Console or:-create a "slipstreamed" XP SP2 CD and then install the RC.Either option is a lot of preliminary work in order to get to the RC. I certainly hope M$ comes out with a fix/patch/KB Article of sorts to save some time, especially since many users are experiencing problems since SP2, and many of them will have new issues (and questions in forums worldwide), with just un-installing SP2 or creating a slipstreamed CD, depending on the method or application they use ! And you know there are many different apps out there, for both Service Packs...^_^

-uninstall SP2 and then install the Recovery Console
I installed RC before installing SP2 but when I tried it tonight it hung after being selected. So I don't think this is an option.

James M. Fisher
I installed RC before installing SP2 but when I tried it tonight it hung after being  selected.  So I don't think this is an option.
Just to clarify: the RC worked fine under SP1 but after applying SP2 it did not? At what point did it hang? Have you tried running it from the CD?If anyone else has had this experience, please let me know.EDIT: I was able to get an associate to confirm that the RC works on his upgraded SP2 install (the RC having been installed under SP1).

James M. Fisher
Either option is a lot of preliminary work in order to get to the RC. I certainly hope M$ comes out with a fix/patch/KB Article of sorts to save some time, especially since many users are experiencing problems since SP2, and many of them will have new issues (and questions in forums worldwide), with just un-installing SP2 or creating a slipstreamed CD, depending on the method or application they use ! And you know there are many different apps out there, for both Service Packs...:D
I'm keeping my eye out for a KB on this. Like I said, it's not something the typical home user is going to come up against. (You know, the ones that don't know about defrag or even how to enter a command in a DOS window, for instance).EDIT: I removed the line regarding uninstalling SP2 then installing the RC. I'm looking into this issue further, but for now a slipstreamed CD seems to be the answer.

the RC worked fine under SP1 but after applying SP2 it did not? At what point did it hang?
It was installed to the hd prior to SP2 to make it easier to correct problems should the SP2 update cause problems which it didn't.When I tried it the other day it hung with a blank screen after selecting it from the boot menu. There is hd activity for about 6 secs then nothing.On my daughter's pc RC comes up when I boot from the XP CD and I get as far as when it asks for the Administrator password and since I haven't applied the fix Paracelsus pointed me to on her pc its as far as I get. But it's further than my pc where I had RC installed to the hd.I suspect that uninstalling RC then reinstalling will resolve the problem. I'll let you know what happens.

James M. Fisher
I suspect that uninstalling RC then reinstalling will resolve the problem.  I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks Ed; please do.

And the results are in...According to CleanSweep:1) Original pre-SP2 RC installed 8/29/04 consisted of: c:\CMDCONS folder and files - 8/29/04 c:\cmldr file -------------------- 8/23/01 c:\ntldr c:\ntdetect.com c:\boot.ini c:\boot.bak c:\windows\setupupd folder and files2) SP2 was installed 9/10/04 and included updates to: c:\ntldr c:\ntdetect.com c:\boot.iniI can boot RC from the original XP CD.I can not boot RC from the SP2 hd.I can, and did, delete the RC CMDCONS folder and cmldr file and restores the boot.ini from the boot.bak file to remove RC from the hd. There is nothing in Control Panel's Add/Remove software to do that.I can not reinstall RC from the original XP CD with SP2 installed.Recovery Console (RC) is limited in what it can do by several SET variables and while the SET command allows you to see the variables using the SET command to change them brings up an error msg stating the SET command requires the "Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in". How does one add that snap-in to RC? Particularly in light of the fact RC can't be installed to the hd anymore. Has the RC on a slipstreamed CD install been tried and proven to work?

Enable all paths for the Recovery Console:Use the Security & Configuration Analysis Snap-in
That quote is from the 1st link which is for XP Pro. I don't see it as an option in the list for my XP Home system. ;)

James M. Fisher
Oops! :D  I meant the 2nd link.  Based on clicking on it's Welcome link.
Ahhh...I see what you mean now. Did you try it in Home? I didn't think Home was that different from Pro underneath the hood. :D

• 4 months later...

Another filip to this onerous procedure.....Given XP Pro SP2 on a brand new Dell desktop....Installing cmdconsole from a merged CD works, but must access the internet first!I suspect this is an artifact of the new MS campaign to deny updates to fraudulent OEM preinstall CD codes, overload the phone lines, and temporarily crimp sales on the sidewalks of Kuala Lumpur?