Allowing less secure apps to access your account or will my Mutt get f

wa4chq

Good morning all.... for years I've using mutt for reading my Gmail. Since getting a smart phone, I've gotten used to just going to Gmail direct. When I decided to go back to using mutt on my lappy, I found that Gmail had set up a block.

Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which makes your account more vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps, which we recommend, or turn on access if you want to use them despite the risks.

I found a little more info and read this about some of the reasons to keep the block in place.

Google may block sign-in attempts from some apps or devices that do not use modern security standards. Since these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe. Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include: the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with version 6 or below, the Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release and some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Being who I am, I turned the block off this morning. I'm I asking for trouble?

Thanks

securitybreach

Well no but I understand the reasoning behind it. If they loosely allows and imap or pop protocol to be used by any applications, some of their security would be moot.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I've had the block off since they started that "feature." I access all my email accounts via T-bird, so I'm not going to worry about Google's paranoia over T-bird's security. I think a lot of that is just Google wanting you to visit their site so they can track you habits and spam you with ads.

My T-bird in Slackware (personal items redacted)...

niCZClI.png

• Like 3

I turned on 2 factor authentication in Google for more security. Thunderbird does not support 2FA, but Google will make additional special App only passwords for TB (and other programs) to use. The more powerful account password is therefore not needed to check email.

You can generate multiple App passwords so each computer or phone uses a unique email password.

More info here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

With 9 oaks, and a huge sweetgum tree in my yard, tree trimming is a must-do chore. It's the price I pay (along with tons of leaves and piles of pollen) for an $85/month electric bill. Everyone else I know has a $150-$300 one.

My roof is less about 11 years old (it's a 30 year roof). It was installed in a top-notch fashion by a roofing company here in Tampa that had been in business since right after WWII. I know the folks who owned it personally; one was the daughter of the original owner. They really did a helluva job for a fantastic price. Sadly, the back porch (laundry room in some parlance) developed this bugger leak about two years ago. It's not part of the main roof, so I knew it wasn't from water coming down higher up. It's only about 8' X 8'. Rather than pulling up relatively new shingles, I decided to just seal it with elastomeric sealer. After two coats of that schnit, it seemed to seal whatever little pin-hole was causing the issue. I have about a third of the 5 gal. bucket left, so I just want to get up there and roll another coat on with that... just in case.

The plight of the homeowner... fix one thing, three others screw up. ;)

• Like 3

securitybreach

$300? What are doing, running a data center? I am basically running a datacenter and my bill never goes above $150 (normally around 120).

V.T. Eric Layton

My friends have a 4br, 2.5bath house with a pool. Their bills in the hot part of the year hover around $300/month. Ain't that amazing. My aunt has just a little house about a 1/2 mile from me. Her electric in $150/month. She runs her AC full blast almost year round... likes it cool inside. ;)

• Like 2

And we thought we were ripped off for power at 95/100euro for 2mths. Yall would have had a great laugh at me hanging 40ft up an ash tree trimming the branches back to the main stem last Friday. It was blocking my broadband connection . Things are better now and I have about two weeks supply of wood for the stove ,more when I fell the main trunk . I di have a secure app for the process . A strop around me and the bole. :whistling:

• Like 2

With 9 oaks, and a huge sweetgum tree in my yard, tree trimming is a must-do chore. It's the price I pay (along with tons of leaves and piles of pollen) for an $85/month electric bill.

You lost me. How does having trees help keep your electric bill low ?

It was blocking my broadband connection .

Wat ? Are you on satellite broadband ?

:fish:

Trees can provide shade so that your house isn't heating up as much and A/C bills can be lower.

Electrical bills in Ontario Canada can run around $160 Canadian per month or $120 US or 100 GBP or 115 Euro. In winter we have to keep the lights on and the furnace blower running, and in summer we have A/C costs - not as bad as in Fla but we have them. Our bills have recently increased significantly thanks to our daft Ontario government which has gone all green as far as energy production goes.

DSC_0450_zpsf0ldysdl.jpg

Look at the mess some berk developer is making of the river that runs through the center of our town to increase capacity in a small hydro-electric plant. The local government was powerless to stop it and the town gets zero tax or other return from it. The developer gets an exorbitant rate for power generated for 20 years. The taxpayers pay. the environment suffers. That's life in Ontario today.

Forgot to mention that the developer cocked up the dams and his construction site was flooded. Now he's working 16 hour days to catch up before the snow melts and the river becomes a raging torrent for a few weeks. This is really pi$$ing off the residents (it's right in the middle of town) who have to listen to bulldozers, hoe ramming and trucks backing up with beepers from 6 AM to 11 PM. Fun times in Almonte.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

With 9 oaks, and a huge sweetgum tree in my yard, tree trimming is a must-do chore. It's the price I pay (along with tons of leaves and piles of pollen) for an $85/month electric bill.

You lost me. How does having trees help keep your electric bill low ?

Shade, man. Shade. My house is almost completely in shade most of the year. It keeps the temps in the attic from reaching surface-of-the-sun temps. This in turn let's my ACs work less to cool the interior of the house. The sun is real big, nearby, and HOT in the summertime in Florida.

• Like 2