Keyboard shortcuts !

Bruno

I want to add some keyboard shortcuts to the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨. There are so many of them, so I´m going to list only my very favorite ones.Please add yours HERE below, so that I can make a selection to be placed in the tips. Thanks for your input. :)Ctrl+F1 to Ctrl+F5 = to change the desktops I am using at the same timeCtrl+r = to refresh Mozilla or GaleonF9 = to get mail in EvolutionCtrl+r = to reply a mail in EvolutionCtrl+Enter = send mail in EvolutionI do know that for us Linuxers it is hard to be moderate, but please do try to limit the number of shortcuts you post to 5 B) Bruno

Best one I've found is using the Tab key to auto-complete directory/folder names in the console B)(I'll post more later)

:rolleyes: For lefthanders with arthritis one click and hit enter is easier than a double click. Only works well for leftys unless you can get a lefty keyboard.OK it's a piece of useless information but if you've ever tried a double click on a cold morning you'll know exactly what I mean.Joy

Tanks Greengeek, we´re all growing older, this might just come in very *handy* some day ! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Bruno

Hi it¨s me again, with some more keyboard shortcuts, looks like you can all easily do without, but I love them:Alt+F4 = close window ( in general ! )F11 = fullscreen ( in Mozilla browser)Ctrl+w = close tab ( in mozilla browser )ctrl+d = bookmark page ( in mozilla browser )Ctrl+s = save ( in OpenOffice.org, press it from time to time if you don´t want to be retyping your text all the time ! )Looks like I´m an oldfashon guy :) , if really nobody is using the shortcuts anymore, ¨the times they are a changin´¨:) Bruno

:unsure: I use the keyboard a lot, I'll try to make a list of shortcuts sometime. I'm pretty busy at the moment, throwing windows and penguins out of all my dual and multi boot machines and giving each one it's own machine. Dual and multi was ok when I only had a few machines, but no use now when I have twelve of them.Joy

Good man Greengeek !I´ll be waiting for your input before making a post in the TIPS, thanks !:unsure: Bruno

twistedcraniumThanks twisted ! There is a man who still uses his keyboard !I was getting worried I would be the only one, would heve been bad business for the keyboard manufacturers !:unsure: Bruno

CTRL-N opens a new Mozilla (and likely Netscape too) browser window!
Also Opera And Firebird. Alt+Tab opens the Firebird titlebar in a larger view; and if you continue holding Tab, and release Alt, it wil very quickly go through everything clickable on the page. B) But I have no idea what that would be useful for, unless you're a speed-reader.

I'll look for more tomorrow if I don't have a hangover
Something to celebrate, Greengeek ?:D Bruno

:D Drowning my sorrows, I lost hundreds of favourite links and hundreds of hours of stuff my poor arthritic fingers managed to type. I need another drink. I might be back tomorrow.Joy

Forgetting to backup is a major pain Greengeek ! Let this be a lesson to us all !Boot floppy´s and backups, the essential tools for geeks !:D Bruno

CTRL+SHIFT+N - New Tab in konqueror (KDE Web Browser/ File Manager)CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE - Restart "X" (GUI)Windows Key - Opens KDE Menu (on my system anyway - Mandrake 9.1)ALT+TAB - Switch between open applications (yes, it works in Linux too!)Can't really think of any more Linux-specific ones being a newbie and all :D

Thanks chr1sAnd welcome to the forum, glad to see someone else who uses the keyboard !B) Bruno

:o Only the left Window's key opens the KDE menu on Mandrake 9.0, it's only been installed for a day so I'm still finding my way around. It's a big improvement over Mandrake 8.0.Joy

Greengeek you can ¨map¨ the right windows-key to have a function too ! Have a look in ¨The Tips¨ page 3. That way aal your keys will have a function.:o Bruno