Knoppix question

Ed_P

Hi,This might be a good place for this question.I am a Windows person but have a minor interest in Linux since I keep seeing it more and more in the press. When I read that Knoppix was a stand alone version that would run solely from a CD I thought it was an easy way for me to experience Linux safely. And for the most part it was. The apps all seemed to work and I was even able to get online.However, Knoppix only recognizes the hda1 partition on my harddrive and I have drives c: - o: under Windows. I posted a bug report on the Knoppix website but got a "WORKS4ME" response.While it would be nice if Knoppix would recognize all my partitions automatically what would be the commands I could manually invoke to add my missing partitions to Knoppix? And how would I enter them? As I said I am totally new to Linux. tiaEd

Its not a bug.....U have to mount the partitions. The mount points are already specified in the /etc/fstab file. U need to do a mount /dev/hdxz where x is the HDD and z is the partition where windows is installed. Master HDD on 1st controller: hdaSlave HDD on 1st controller: hdbMaster HDD on 2nd controller: hdcSlave HDD on 2nd controller:hdd007

Hi EdPWelcome to the forum ! Hope you´ll find the answers to your questions here.As for your knoppix, Agent 007 is right you´ll have to ¨mount¨ those partitions manually.Knoppix, running from CD, is mainly for having a ¨ testfilght¨ with Linux, see what Linux is like and check if your hardware is supported. If Knoppix runs on your hardware, most other distro´s will run on it too.Running from CD has it´s limitations, it is much slower ( your HD reads faster then your CD player ) there are less posibileties in configuring and writing to disk.Most Linux users do also use Knoppix as kind of rescue-disk for their other distro´s.Installing your Knoppix on HD is however very possible and will give you a full blown Debian distribution, Debian is one of the most stable Linux distro´s but not the most modern-looking one.If any questions are left unresolved don´t hesitate to ask.:( Bruno

my 2 cents from a rookie. there might be a way to mount a partition graphically, at least there is a way with SuSE. if you go to administration tools, look around for a Partitioner, or Partition Manager. It should show you graphically all your hard drives, hda1, etc..., and even reads the Windows Drive label for my case. then, there is a column that shows where its mounted, and where it is (mnt/windrive, /mnt/cdrom, and such.)All i mean is that the newer distros have almost everything u do thru command also in Graphical interface too, so check all your menu items, and good luck.

I forgot to add....Since Knoppix uses KDE by default, u will c the partitions on the desktop. Right-Click on them and select mount! B)

All,Wow! So many replies! :lol: Knoppix does accept the missing partitions as a bug. (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=131) They want their distro to automatically detect all hardware. And except for the partitions it does on my machine; my NIC, my DVD-ROM, my CD-ROM, etc. I haven't tried my tape drive. While most people don't have the partition senario I have many people have multiple partitions and Knoppix should accommodate some of them even when it can't handle all of them.The partitions are NOT showing up on my desktop other than the c: drive, ie hda1, so clicking on them to mount is not possible.Now as for mounting the partitions, " U need to do a mount /dev/hdxz where x is the HDD and z is the partition", where/how do I issue a mount? (I told you I was new to this). Do I need to prefix the comand with a user id? I tried some version of a mount command and was told only the admin id could issue it. I don't remember the exact format I used or even where I found it. ;) And how would I load Knoppix to my hd? Is there a command or desktop function to do this? Course if I take this route I assume I will also need a boot manager which I can handle. I like the CD approach even if it is slow because it's self contained. And if I can get access to my partitions it is a good backup system for recovery.Thanks for all the feedback.Ed :lol:

EdP

the c: drive, ie hda1, so clicking on them to mount is not possible.
Did you right-click it ? There must be an option ¨mount¨ a little green triangle will show next to the icon , then you can doubleclick on it to open it.
I like the CD approach even if it is slow because it's self contained. And if I can get access to my partitions it is a good backup system for recovery.
You are absolutely right
And how would I load Knoppix to my hd? Is there a command or desktop function to do this? Course if I take this route I assume I will also need a boot manager which I can handle
Just tell me when you decide to do that and I will guide you through.
The partitions are NOT showing up on my desktop other than the c: drive
This is strange, are they Fat32 ?:D Bruno

All,This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!I just booted up my Knoppix CD and on my desktop I have icons for hda10-16 and hda2-9!!! I have not changed the cd or upgraded it or anything. And I haven't switched harddrives or changed my partition config.I don't know what's changed but I have access to my partitions. I don't have an hda1 icon and hda2 refers to my C: drive nor do the icons pick up my volume labels but I can live with that.Right clicking on an hda icon does not bring up a Mount option.My partitions are a mix of FAT32 and FAT16. No NTFS.Any idea why this would now start to work when it never did before? Does Knoppix automatically connect to Knoppix servers and pick up fixes while it boots? Far fetched but I'm at a loss for ideas here.EdBTW I'm writing this using Mozilla under Knoppix. Kewl!! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that Knoppix didn't mount the Windows partitions immediately but saved it for the next reboot.

Hello EdWell finaly some good news !! Congrats ! ;) :)

Right clicking on an hda icon does not bring up a Mount option.
Means that they are auto-mounted !
BTW I'm writing this using Mozilla under Knoppix.
Very happy for you !Just start playing around with your Knoppix and you will discover all kind of features ! :)The updates: You just can´t update your CD ! :) ;):) Bruno

Any ideas on why this sudden change occurred other than I soon as I wrote to youse guys it cleared up ? B) I had booted the cd at least 10 times over the course of a week or two with it consistently only showing hda1. I gave up on it for awhile and now it shows every hda except an hda1. I'm happy that it does but I would like to know why and/or how it changed. If this was something I had installed to my hd I would assume that I somehow changed something that made it work but this is on a CD so that isn't possible.BTW My 3.2 is the 2003-04-18 release.If I use an app on the cd to create a file can I save the file to one of my existing partitions or will I have to create a new one? I guess what I'm asking is does Linux have it's own file structure or will it support my FAT16/32 configurations?Ed

EdPLets just be happy that it works, I have no clue about the sudden change, your guess is as good as mine !

If I use an app on the cd to create a file can I save the file to one of my existing partitions or will I have to create a new one? I guess what I'm asking is does Linux have it's own file structure or will it support my FAT16/32 configurations?
From what I understand in writes the file to a part of your Fat32 partition within windows, it ceates a little temp space there for things to be stored. It can read and write to that file, and so the next time you boot from your CD it looks at that file and picks up the config changes you made and the textfiles you saved. As long as you boot from the CD no linux file structure will be made.Just happy it did work out in the end !:( Bruno