.ICEauthority

securitybreach

securitybreach

I ran across this problem. I couldnt log into Gnome. I would just keep getting sent back to the login screen. When I tried to login to KDE I would get this error " no write access to home/security/.ICEauthority KDE is unable to start" I could only login to IceWM. I found the folllowing fix:chown user -R /home/user"user" being the user you can't log intoNow my question is why did this happen. I didnt install anything or make any system changes. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Breach It looks like your /home/<user> directory is corrupted . . . did you have a bad shutdown or powerfaillure ?.My suggestion: log in as root, make a new ( temp ) user and see if you can log in as that user . . . then move essential files over from /home/breach and after that delete the normal ( first ) user ( also the /home directory for it ) Then recreate that user and move the files back from /home/temp-user.^_^ Bruno

You can move files and such into your home folder with different permissions.... that doesn't explain why the .ice file was touched. Strange ;)Could you have possibly chmoded or chowned your /home by accident instead of something else so that it could only be read or changed by root?

securitybreach

After I chown user -R /home/user, it fixed the problem completely. It may have been a bad shutdown, I dont remember. I had it fixed I was just wondering if anyone knew why this happened. By the way what is .ICE anyway?

Glad you found a simple solution Breach . . . . reading more about it, just deleting the ICEauthority file and letting it getting recreated seemed to do the trick too.What exactly ICE is I do not know but it is closely related to the Xauthority file. ICEauthority & Xauthority are two files that have to do with starting the X-session. ICEauthority must point to a file that contains authorization data.See "man x" ( http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man7/x.7.html )Now some explanation how this could have happened:

I've seen this happen if you login as a normal user, then su to root and then run startx. For some reason, the ownership of the file then gets transfered to root.
. . . I remember you were experimenting with having multiple X sessions . . . . . so there might be the cause ;):blink: BrunoUPDATE: Google comes up with the following on ICE:- In-Circuit Emulator- Integrated Cluster Environment (IBM )- Incremental Configuration Environment- Introduction to Computer Environments :lol: