421 error

Jeber

Frequently, when trying to upload files to my web space using Nvu or Mozilla Composer, I get a "421 Too many users-please try again later" error and the upload is unsuccessful. If I switch over to WS-FTP I can upload just fine. Can anyone explain to me what "too many users" means, and how I can work around it? ^_^ Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Nvu or Mozilla Composer; but see if there are settings that control how many connections or files it uploads at a given time. Try limiting the number to 1 or 2... that might help.

I'm not really familiar with either of those programs either, but i have an idea.Have you ever used a download manager before? Basically, it breaks the file up into say 5 pieces. So it logs 5 "users" on to the server each getting one of the pieces.Could this be what is happening in your FTP programs, only in reverse?I'd check around in the options or preferences of those programs and see if you can find anyway to limit the number of connections or uploaded files like Arena said.Also, depending on your web host, you may be able to change the number of people allowed to connect to your FTP server at once.

Yes, this is most likely what's happening. The FTP server is probably checking for multiple user logins from the same IP address.