DVD+ or DVD- ?

John259

Sorry if this is an old question.I'm thinking about buying a DVD writer drive.If the drive can record both DVD+R and DVD-R disks at the same speed, and both types of blank media cost the same, which is preferable, or doesn't it matter?Ditto regarding DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks.Any advice gratefully received, John

DVD-R has wider compatibility with DVD players. I think the same goes for DVD-RW. If I am wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me. :angry:

DVD-R has wider compatibility with DVD players. I think the same goes for DVD-RW. If I am wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me. :angry:
Thanks Ross, that's the kind of comment I was looking for.Greater liklehood of compatibility of the disks with other people's drives is quite an important factor.John

Except that +R and +RW have faster speeds than -R and -RW, generally about twice as fast. +RW is also Mount Rainier (CD-MRW) compatible and therefore you can use it like a big floppy drive. But if you are worried about compatibility I'd suggest a dual format burner, one that can do all 4 standards plus CD-R/RW! The prices on these drives aren't that much more.

Except that +R and +RW have faster speeds than -R and -RW, generally about twice as fast. +RW is also Mount Rainier (CD-MRW) compatible and therefore you can use it like a big floppy drive. But if you are worried about compatibility I'd suggest a dual format burner, one that can do all 4 standards plus CD-R/RW! The prices on these drives aren't that much more.
Agree with Peachy - get a burner that supports all 4 standards. :wacko:

Most likely if just doing data than the +R or +RW will be your format of choice. It is faster.I chose the +RW drive and if it worked in my DVD player then great if not no big deal. Turns out my Sony DVD player play's them just fine. So far I have not found a DVD player it does not work in. For instance I just burned 4200MB of data (Vid Captures in AVI format) to a DVD+R in 13 minutes 24 seconds on a 4x DVD+RW drive. You might be able to get away with a single format drive if you are not as concerned about the disks working in every device. Of course you won't know till you try a format and it does not work. Then you get to choose another format and try again.

I recently burned a DVD movie for a friend using my +R device, and it worked just fine in my cheapie Pioneer DVD player. I took it over to their place and found that it could not be read by either of their "high-end" DVD players. Bummer. But it tends to make me believe that -R discs might indeed be more widely compatible with component DVD players.I echo the suggestion to go with a multi-format burner.