Mom is in the hospital.....

ross549

Got this e-mail from my sister late last night:

Adam, Thought I'd write to you while my supper is cooking.Mom's in the hospital. She ok, well not ok, but she's not going to die, so don't have a heartattack. Tonight we went out to the barn and started chorse and she was fine. (you know she has been having troubles lately with headachs and pressuer in her head... right?) Well anyway, she watered the pen one and went to the other end of the barn, when we came to her she was in great pain. I told her to lay down becuase that helped before to ease the pain. She wasn't getting any better so I rushed her off to the ER (with dad's permission of course) They cared for her and then took a cat scan. They found something in her head (I don't remeber what its called, very long name) and said they would "consult a nureal suergon". Gee I got scared at the word "Surgon". Well they moved her up to ICU and now is resting. She has a brain bruse or pressuer in her head that would come from hitting her head, but we can't remember mom ever hitting her head. So the doctor will see her tomorow. Or when you are reading this. But please to freak out. She will be fine. It will take a bit for her to bounce back, but what they to to help her they won't know till the doctor sees her.   Please call tomorow or when you are reading this and I will talk to you, but please call at a reasonable hour. I've had a LONG night. Love yah and pray for mom.Amanda
I finally talked to Amanda and Dad today, and apprently Mom is resting somewhat comfortably..... The surgeons have noted that her condition is not serious, but I have not yet been told what the condition is. I will update y'all if anything big happens, but so far, it looks like she is doing fine.Adam

Guest Paracelsus

Sorry to hear that, Adam. It doesn't sound like an Embolism or Hematoma, since those would have produced much more serious symptoms... Blurred vision; Slurred speech; etc.If it's just Intracranial Hypertension/Edema (build up of fluid around the brain), there are a lot of good treatments.The cranium has a system that constantly renews the fluid that separates the brain from the skull and provides some cushioning as well. Fluid is continually drained (into the circulatory system) as new fluid is produced. (Kind of like tears)Occasionally, the ducts that drains the fluid can become constricted, leading to the build-up of excess fluid, which results in increased pressure.There are long established surgical techniques for this condition... But if it's not serious, there are also several medications also (like the ones used to alleviate elevated intraocular pressure in Glaucoma.)I'm sure, if your Mother was cognizant and able to think clearly at the hospital, then it's not too serious and she will probably be a good candidate for medication.Hoping all turns out well!! :D

Thanks for the info, Paracelsus.....I will bounce it off my sister and see what she says. I did find out though, they are planning to do an MRI, and the procedure where they inject dye into the bloodstrea and check for clots and other such nonsense.

Guest Paracelsus

I shouldn't think you'll have too much to worry about. (Not that having a parent in the hospital is something to take lightly, of course).My Mother has had several minor strokes over the last decade, and had the dye scans done at least three times. She's 84 and still jumping. Well...Maybe not jumping... But she's in better shape than a lot of folks her age.I'm sure your Mother is a pretty tough cookie :D

AdamYou know we will pray for a speedy recovery. Like Frank, I don't think it is one of the serious kinds of head problems. If it was real serious they would be doing surgery already and tons fo test. As far as the dyes and everything - you have seen that it has had no serious impact on hubby. He is just as insane as ever since he still puts up with me plus he still runs like crazy......

Apparently, the prognosis was not good. The doctors found some blood on her brain, and decided it needed to go tonight. Mom has not been consious since this morning. if the doctors do not operate, she may not live.Anyway, I may be offline for a time (offline- not here). I will try to post regular updates on my website, http://www.cowsmilk.netThanks, guys for the thoughts and prayers. We need them badly.Adam

ross549Sorry to hear about your Mum,I know what each & every one of you are going through as my Mum passed away very peacefully on 21st April at the grand age of 94I sincerely hope that everything turns out out well for you & your family ;)

I pray the docs were able to remove all the blood or whatever it was and that her healing is already beginning. I know this is tough but I am confident she will overcome this. Keep the chin up.....

Well, I did not get much sleep last night. The surgery went well. Last time I talked to Amanda, she said that Mom was not fully awake, but she was responding to different stimuli. The doctors are optomistic at this point. I will call the hospital this morning and find out more. If the prognosis is good, I probably will not be going home.

I will call the hospital this morning and find out more. If the prognosis is good, I probably will not be going home.
Hi Adam,I just hope for all of your sakes that she goes from strength to strength and recovers fully from this, maybe you should go home anyway... I'm sure she would love to see you at a time like this, if it's at all possible.David.

:blink:  :'(  :'(I regret that I may have come across as glib in my earlier posts :(All our thoughts are with you!!!
Don't worry about it..... I thought it was less serious than it was yesterday as well.At the moment, Mom is still in a coma, but she is responding to peoples voices. I do not know any more than that; The rest of the family is at the hospital as I type this. I should know more tonight.I am holding off going home at this point, because I do not want to chew up all my leave ( I don't have much on the books ) with sitting around at home. If something major happens, I will head out immediately.

Well, today was a good one for Mom. She has been talking briefly to those around her, and recognizing who she is talking to. She does not yet know that she has been through some fairly serious surgery, but the doctors do not yet think she is ready to know. We know her long term memory is good, but her short term memory is in question at this point. She thinks she fell and hurt her back.She should be out of ICU in a couple days. I will most likely head home sometime next week for a couple days, as my leave time is limited, and I want to make sure that I still have time to take some leave over christmas.Anyway, Amanda, Nate, and Dad are being almost overrun from offers for help. That is really what they need at this point: time to be able to go and visit mom.

That's not only Good news Adam.... It's excellent news. And I think all those here would join me in hoping your Mom makes a full and speedy recovery, and that her short-term memory loss is only temporary.David.

Good news indeed. In fact I agree with OziDave, it's excellent news. :clap2:I like zlim's idea also.

If you can't get home at least get them to hold the phone to Mom's ear so she can hear your voice!