Royals one Barbarians nil !!

abarbarian

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

The Royal expert turned out to be a dud.

You know what they say - "ex' is a has-been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure. 😁

I found the solution myself. Turns out it was the rollover switch that I had hanging loose. Mounted it properly and bingo the bike runs.

Earthed to the frame?

• Haha 1

abarbarian
6 hours ago, sunrat said:

Earthed to the frame?

🤣

Nope apparently some dickwad had left it hanging loose after making a minor modification last year. It had been sort of wedged in so the bike ran ok. The accident had shaken it loose hence the electrical fault which was most puzzling as there was a weak spark and then there was not then a spark and then not and so on. Once firmly mounted the bike was a ok.

Anyways everything is ok now. I have some new elastic for my goggles and a new peak for the helmet so am good to go go go . 😋

V.T. Eric Layton
15 hours ago, abarbarian said:

rollover switch

Hmm... I've never seen that on any motorcycles. However, I have seen that on riding lawn mowers. There are numerous safety features on riding mowers to prevent stupid people from hurting themselves or others. Unfortunately, some of the stupid people are just smart enough to figure out how to bypass/disable these safeties. This is why you still hear stories of idiots getting run over by their own mowers or mowers zooming off down the street with no rider one them.

Well, anyway... glad you got your bike going. Enjoy! BE SAFE... and SMART out there!

abarbarian
9 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... I've never seen that on any motorcycles.

Apparently they are fitted to all newish bikes and have been for some time. I never knew about them either.

Miss the guff and info starts at one minute in. 😎

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Just a couple of pictures at the start of me 1113.6 mile week long round trip to the Lake District.

Me Royal almost loaded up.

z0ridPu.jpg

OezX2Iq.jpg

Me mates big bike, he lives across the road from me.

cBOPRdw.jpg

Not very exciting I know, well it was for me. I still have to sort through the pictures I took and load them up to Imgur. There are some neat shots of the Lake District and stuff. I'll post an album link for anyone that is interested later on. That is if I can remember how to get an album link at Imgur.  😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

abarbarian

1cRK2B8.jpg

We had a halfway stop over on the way to The Lakes as I thought a 300 mile trip was just a tad too far for me. Especially as I had only had two 40 mile trial runs since the rebuild along with a year long lay of.

Setting was an old large country house in extensive grounds taken over and run by the Youth Hostelling Association. We were in one of the grass roofed cabins with our own bathroom and shower. Fairly basic but comfortable and pretty cheap too.

Here is a link to the album with more pictures to be added as and when.

Lakes holiday album

Enjoy. 😎

• Like 1

abarbarian

RE Lakes2022 Day 2

pQJpzvS.jpg

After the ferry crossing we had to reroute several times due to road closures. The main roads were in fairly good condition but the minor roads were in pretty bad condition. I guess the councils had no money left after cleaning up after all the flooding and storms over the last few years. Also there were trees down everywhere you looked, no shortage of wood for fuel at least.

Here are a couple of links with better pictures than mine and some interesting local knowledge.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/thirlmere

https://www.keswick.org/explore/not-to-miss/castlerigg-stone-circle

https://www.visitlakedistrict.com/explore/areas-of-cumbria/the-lake-district/towns-and-villages/ullswater

https://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/kirkstone-pass/

https://www.staveleyvillage.co.uk/

Enjoy.

More pictures to follow if you have the stamina to look at them. 😋

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Royal has given me a ton of minor problems this last year which took some serious detective work to track down and fix. Finally solved all of them and took a four night holiday to celebrate.

Accommodation was in a modern caravan central heating and double glazed, on a holiday park an was dead cheap £60 each for me and me mate. An boy did we need the heating as we were wet almost every day.

sgDlto7.png

I did not take my camera and only took two pictures all trip. Luckily my phone is a waterproof one. This picture is in a small pretty village on the middle of Dartmoor.

XrSO1tv.jpg

The full size bronze bird which I think is an eagle was most impressive and the locals were some of the friendliest I have ever met.

UoJUIWu.jpg

You may wonder what me mate is pointing at. Well it was a very wide full colour rainbow that almost filled the gap Wayne was pointing at. Unfortunately the phone did not capture it.

Notice the change of tank colour on the Royal. I would need several reams of foolscap to recount the tale regarding the change.

Despite the wet we accomplished two of our holiday aims.

We rode across Dartmoor and saw the famous prison. An what a grim foreboding place it looked especially  as seen through a intermittence drizzle. To be fair whilst we were on the moor the sun did make an appearance and the rain mainly stayed away. Getting to the moor and away from the moor it was wet wet wet.

Aim two just sneaked in at the last minute when all hope of success seemed to have gone. Just a hundred yards from the caravan site entrance we spotted on arriving back at the site on the last day, a sign stating that cream teas were available inside a very sweet thatched building. How we had missed the sign all holiday is a mystery. The building and car park looked a tad scruffy so I was not convinced that the cream tea would be all that good. Still it was the last chance to have one so we ordered. An what a surprise we had. Not one but two freshly made scones with home made jam and lashings of clotted cream and a good old fashioned pot with leaf tea. Scrumptious.

The ride home was the very pleasant and also very dry with just two one minute showers. Which was a good job as I was celebrating my 70th birthday on that day.We had travelled 743 miles during the holiday and I must admit I was very tired as we arrived home, I guess I must be feeling my age a tad.🫣

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Looks more like a copper bird. Bronze doesn't usually get that green patina like that.

Glad you got out there and had some fun!

19 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Looks more like a copper bird. Bronze doesn't usually get that green patina like that.

Glad you got out there and had some fun!

Yer probably correct. I could not find any concrete information on it's composition. It is a pretty impressive sculpture an is a sparrowhawk not an eagle.

https://holidayindartmoor.co.uk/moretonhampstead/moretonhampstead-public-art-sculpture-dartmoor-flight-35812.html

😎

• Like 1