personal opinion

zlim

This forum is now over a year old and just like a family living together, the regulars seem to feel that they "know" each other. Lately I've noticed an increase in personal attacks when someone's post goes against another's opinion. Personally, I'd prefer if people just stated the facts, based on their use of hardware or software and let others decide if the product mentioned was worth trying or avoiding.I love this forum - it's way better than any tech support I can get elsewhere. I appreciate all the tales of ups and downs fighting with computers. I intend to keep reading AND posting. I'll quickly skim over any posts that involve personal attacks, and then continue reading the rest of the thread.A big thanks to Scot for taking the time, energy, patience and $$$ for supplying such a great forum. :D

Guest Paracelsus
Lately I've noticed an increase in personal attacks when someone's post goes against another's opinion.
While I can't say that I have noticed any increase... And I won't ask where the "action" has been taking place...I agree with your sentiments, Wholeheartedly, Liz :'(Mutual Civility is the key... Especially in the case of BB Forums, where we must rely on the written word... With a healthy interjection of Smilies o:)But just as interactions between long time friends and family...The occasional strong words or heated exchange, doesn't mean we don't still love one another :P :'( B)

I agree that this is the best forum for help I am here everyday at least once and I do find it has become like a family. The only posts I have found to be a little harsh were not from regulars usually, maybe others not quite used to the atmosphere here which is usually quite supportive. I have noticed on a few of the mailing lists that I am on that people can be quite rough when voicing there different opinions.

:'( :P Awwwww.........Whats a little fussin' n feudin' amongst the participants/occupants.... brings out the inner being ..... B) :'( ... seriously now ... this forum/group of forums is the best yet... not anywhere close to one I used to visit ..... the peeps are decent and the help is great .... keep it up all ...

Hi Liz,It's normal for threads to meander back and forth, that's when the moderators step in and cut out the off-topic material and usually do it with the least amount of fuss if it gets too far off or far too long. They're pretty good at that here, along with ALL of the other regulars.And that's what the 'report' button is there for.. If you find something you don't like or think should not be there.. use it. No-one thinks you're complaining as the Mods would be battling to keep up with all of the posts at times, and would no-doubt appreciate it. ;)As for the belligerents, passions do tend to overtake the brain at times when some think that they are the only ones with the right solutions, and everyone else is encroaching on their space. :(Some clever remedies have come out of the mouths of the so-called 'fools' that they attempt to embarrass with 'their' carry-on. :)So! you just Ignore them.. life's too short to be THAT serious all of the time! :devil: and sometimes a little humour helps to make the problem seem NOT all that life-threatening. :)Some don't see a computer for what it really is... a computer. And a format usually fixes most problems, but they would rather spend three days of thier lives getting more frustrated and angrier trying to fix something, when 30 minutes of format would have solved it, and that anger spills over here unfortunately.Apart from that........ It's a nice place to visit! and to share in a bit of nonsense along with the seriousness of some of the threads.I sometimes wonder myself if there is any need for some of these 'serious' threads that deal with politics and commercial enterprise... I can read that everyday in the paper or watch it on TV. BUT! that's just my opinion and I accept what others want to post. It's everybody's ball-game. ;)

I'm sure I know what thread is being discussed here but I am of the opinion that you should bring facts or proof to the table if you make a claim. Personal opinion is one thing (I have absolutely no problem with that) but spreading mud as "fact" about a product only because of something that happened to you (1:6,000,000,000) or bringing other similar zealous opinions is quite another. A forum truly concerned with factual reviews and recommendations should discourage overinflated, non-truthful claims of inferiority. I have enjoyed this forum tremendously for its insight and forum for review. Scot and the mods/admins do a great job of looking at all sides of the issues whether they be the vitality of the forum financially or dealing with content or dealing with members that are out to cause a ruckus. I have faith that these issues will come and go as the forum matures and grows. Large forums tend to bring in the riff-raff. It's a fact of life. But again, I think that these issues will be dealt with in the right way.tbird

The occasional strong words or heated exchange, doesn't mean we don't still love one another :wub: :hug: :devil:
:) I agree. :) And just because someone doesn't express an opinion in a "pc" way doesn't make them inferior. I think most of us are smart enough to see thru over the top opinions and to discount them as such. Heck, people have been discounting what I post since the begining. ;)
A big thanks to Scot for taking the time, energy, patience and $$$ for supplying such a great forum. :biggrin:
Indeed. :)

One of the things I find quaintly amusing here (and sometimes annoying) are some of the replies that use Jargon straight from the 'Groves of Academe' when the academic expertise of the person asking the question is 'unknown'.Most people looking for 'advice' would prefer it to be simple and in plain English, NOT full of abbreviations and hype that they don't understand in the first place, and to them it's all Double-Dutch and only goes to confuse and compound their problems. And the same said of their ability to 'attack' the PC with a screwdriver and pliers etc. Not everyone can "Swap" their HD or memory chips, change their MoBo or get a new NIC for the PCI..... or FDISK the partion and format it in NTFS....Sometimes I think, we don't help at all.... :P

Not everyone can "Swap" their HD or memory chips, change their MoBo or get a new NIC for the PCI..... or FDISK the partion and format it in NTFS....
yeah but at this forum I would feel comfortable enough to ask someone for instructions on how and I;m pretty sure if they didn't tell me how they would supply a link that would :lol: If something doesn't make sense to you ask I haven't seen anyone really get upset about being asked to explain stuff, and I ask a lot of "explorer'" type questions :)

yeah but at this forum I would feel comfortable enough to ask someone for instructions on how and I;m pretty sure if they didn't tell me how they would supply  a link that would  :lol: If something doesn't make sense to you ask I haven't seen anyone really get upset about being asked to explain stuff, and I ask a lot of "explorer'" type questions  :lol:
I was referring to the 'Newbies', Not! the dyed-in-the-hole, battle-scarred and hardened Veterans like yourself.... :)

Ozi - I think we're pretty good about keeping the major jargon down when we're talking to new members... Most of the people that venture here do so because of Scot's newsletter, and "most" of the people that read Scot's newsletter know more than the "average" computer user. This gives us a little more freedom to use more jargon. :)Besides... I have yet to see anyone leave here upset due to lack of help. If someone has a fixable problem, we're usually able to fix it. :)

OZI, I just re-read your post and I have to confess I'm probably guilty as charged. :lol:Sometimes I just make an assumption that people are tech savvy just because most of the people I talk to are.I recall telling a family member to "check their bios settings to see if their onboard NIC is enabled." I got this glazed look back...I said "you have no idea what I'm talking about do you?" the answer was a sheepish no. I replied, "why didn't you stop me." He said he didn't want to sound dumb. I should have realized my error, but you just get so used to speaking in geek. :)

I got this glazed look back...
The advantage of talking face to face with the person with the problem rather than via a phone call or email. And it works both ways, a seemingly harsh comment in writing becomes meaningless when expressed in person with a big grin on your face.

Too true EdP! Even on the phone there is inflection which can guide us as to the others intent. On a forum or email as Paracelsus stated above, we are forced to rely on emoticons to help deliver our intent.

If you think it is hard not to talk in geek terms try teaching computers in school. I start halfway technical and go back until I get visual cues that most of them have caught on to what I am saying even if I go back to "Do you see this little thingy here that is gray and flat with a red line on one side?" This is called. . . Sometimes it is a challenge here trying to determine what level you should aim for when phrasing an answer - is this a geek, a novice in a particular area, or someone that doesn't know there USB from their PS2?

nlinecomputers

What makes it worse, a lot of people are embarrassed that they don't know anything about computers (yet they apparently aren't otherwise motivated to change that). Dumb it down too much and you are insulting, get too geeky and you force them to admit they don't know what the heck you are talking about. It isn't necessary for end users to know every thing about a computer but they do need to grasp some basics. Just like in automobiles there is need to grasp the basics while you don't need to know the hard core details of a car. You don't need to know what a distributor or an exhaust manifold is to drive and maintain a car. You do need to know what the engine is, what the steering wheel is and when(if not how) often to change the oil.I had a customer ask me for "more megabytes of color" once. How many users do you know call the whole chassis that houses the computer the "hard drive"?I firmly believe that learning to run a computer is as much work as takes to run a car. Most people spend a year learning the basics of how to drive. If you are willing to take that effort on a computer you probably shouldn't buy one as you will be more frustrated then pleased with the results.

I was referring to the 'Newbies', Not! the dyed-in-the-hole, battle-scarred and hardened Veterans like yourself....
Wow I feel really old all of a sudden :lol: :D :hmm: I have to take some training for my new job, it is kind of interesting the other day they were showing us how to use the tab key to move between fields instead of the mouse. Made for an easy 100 on the test anyway :o Some of the people in the class however were unaware that you could even get around the screen without a mouse, so it makes sense they have to teach it.