Can not start DCOM Server Process Launcher

mtbparker

Okay... I decided to sacrifice one of my computers to the Service Pack 2 gods. For the most part, it's been smooth with only a couple of tweaks here and there. However... I just discovered a significant problem. I don't have much to go on yet. I'm actively trying to track it down. As I find more, I'll post. I'm looking for help.The setup: A Pent-II, 350Mhz, WinXP Pro, ZA 4.5, Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 8.1.1 (company mandated B), but free :D ), Linksys Router w/ DSL connection.There's actually two problems. The root problem is with DCOM. But give me a chance to explain it all. Norton AntiVirus LiveUpdate can not get its signature updates. I get an error:

LU1083:  Live Update failed while getting your updates. ... internal error...
My first course of action was to retrace my tweaks after installing SP2. I disabled the DCOM Server Process Launcher. So I tried restarting it. It failed to start completely. After about a 1 min timeout, I get back
Error 1053: the service failed to respond in a timely fashion.
Looking at the list of services both before and after the error, it's in the "starting" state. But the strange thing...Norton AV Live Update works!!?!?By fixing the DCOM service, I'm convince LiveUpdate will work like it's supposed to. But I haven't figured out yet why DCOM won't start. I have a few ideas that I'm going to check out. But in the meantime, if any one has an idea, I'd love a hint or a clue.Thanks,Tom

I ran a couple more experiments. With each experiment, I restart the computer and verify that LiveUpdate doesn't work before starting.1) The only relevant System Event Log says:

The DCOM Server Process Launcher service was successfully sent a start control.
2) I tried restarting the Security Center first, then DCOM. No difference. 3) I turned off Zone Alarm, then started DCOM. No difference.In every case so far, LiveUpdate always works after trying to start DCOM. If I had to guess, it almost seems like DCOM is running. But it doesn't send back a message telling "the system" (whatever that might be) that it's alive.Oh yeah. I should mention... I disabled the Security Center service as one of my tweaks after installing SP2. I also disabled the Windows Firewall/ICS. I'm pretty on top of my own firewall(s), Automatic Updates, and Anti-Virus/Anti-spam. Plus, the security center gives me bogus readouts about firewall and anti-virus. I'm not seeing much benefit from this Security Center.Tom

Interesting...First. I've downgraded the problem. Now it's just something to be curious about and perhaps just wait for Microsoft to fix it.My last experiment was to put DCOM into Automatic startup mode and reboot the computer. It starts fine. It shows as "Started" in the services list. No errors. LiveUpdate works fine.I guess what it boils down to is this new DCOM service doesn't like to be manually started. Tom

I guess what it boils down to is this new DCOM service doesn't like to be manually started.
Or that SP 2 doesn't like it's services to be tinkered with. :thumbsup: Good to hear you got your problem resolved. Love them happy endings. :devil:

I like them happy endings too. Usually, when I get something wierd, my first thought is "Gulp! Where in the world do I start?" And I'm supposedly a trained professional! :thumbsup: Luckily this one came to a quick end, although it would be nice if it worked like it was supposed to. (manual start). Hopefully, this little monologue I had with myself can help the next person along the line.