WinXP file sharing with Win98

lawton_kid

This site helped mehttp://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.aspNote: I don't run XP. I had computers running 98SE, ME and 2K that I wanted to share files and a printer.
using your examples, I did not know the router used an IP addy, its a netgear 100bps wired.Working on it now.no internet sharing, keeping each system individual. Edited by dinwitty

My computers each are wired or wireless to the router also. In my notes, I have Netgear uses 192.168.0.3 as the IP.

I felt since this thread is full of useful info a new topic aint right."computername" is not accessible. you might not have permission to access this computer.I found the gateways for the XP and added all possible gateway IPs.Their all in the win98 system.default gateway...now what is that all about anyways?if I am able to ping the router to get an IP addy off it, is that possible or needed?Netgear router, NOT hooked to any broadband cable, etc. Just a little routerbox hooked to my 4 machines. Win98 machines still like each other.I had 4 win98 machines hooked thru this everybody seeing everybody.run command cmd works for XP, win98 I hit the ms-dos proggie for the same window.all IP addies gotten. Used example numbers above.XP pro BTW SP2

I seem to recall when I 1st upgraded to XP that I had one Win 98 pc that couldn't connect because it's network name had a blank on the end of it and while the Win 98 machines didn't care Win XP did. And with one Win 98 machine I had to use the floppy that the XP machine's Network Wizard created. The other machine connected fine.And all machines connected fine to each other prior to the one machine being upgraded.

The Win98 machines see each other just fine.Its a WinXP issue....One suggestion was to log in as the same username on both systemsand same workgroup.dunno there yet.
If you haven't changed the default workgroup name, that's a major problem. 98 uses WORKGROUP as the default and XP uses MSHOME so the computers won't see each other until you give each computer the same workgroup name. This name can be no more than 15 characters and can't include spaces. Try just changing the XP default to WORKGROUP, the same as the 98 computers are using; reboot and see if the XP computer now sees the other computers. If so, you can change the name on all your computers to one of your choosing.

so, are you saying your network looks exactly like the one i drew?
slice off the outside connections because I connect via modem.Its just a hub.I just found the selections if the network is in a domain or not, selected no domain and using Workgroup as a name.Not tested just yet.

ok, I have a common name workgroup on both systems.On XP, the Win98 system shows up (its name) but cannot access anything as it snaps up an error."You might not have permission to use this network resource."

done that, computer browser already running, changed the tcp setting to netbios over tcp, was on the other setting blah blah else use netbios over tcp/ipsame problem.Win98 setting in TCP/IP properties the netbios setting is ticked but grayed out, like it might be automatically set (or not?)so far I see no ways to ungray it and tick/untick it.

• 3 months later...
done that, computer browser already running, changed the tcp setting to netbios over tcp, was on the other setting blah blah else use netbios over tcp/ipsame problem.Win98 setting in TCP/IP properties the netbios setting is ticked but grayed out, like it might be automatically set (or not?)so far I see no ways to ungray it and tick/untick it.
Welll. I am using USB flash drives to move data, I would love to see a ground up fresh installsolution (rather than futzing around with current installs). What it seems is Xp uses ONLY NetBios over TCP/IP and not straight NetBios which Win98 can do.Why Gates dumped straight NetBios is beyond me.

Are you sure you don't have it?I found this

Microsoft adopted it (NetBIOS) in the late 1980s for their LAN Manager product and it found its way into early versions of Windows and from there into Windows NT. And it's still present (and turned on by default) in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 because many corporate networks still have legacy (Windows 9x or Windows NT) machines on their network. These machines need NetBIOS to function properly on a network because they use NetBIOS to logon to domains, find one another, and establish sessions for accessing shared resources.
I had to open the network adapter (in Control Panel) and click on the Bindings tab to see that TCP/IP and IPX/SPX were both checked. Then in IPX/SPX , I had to look at the NetBIOS tab and be sure that I had a check mark in "I want to enable NetBios over IPX/SPX" on my 2K computers.Are you perhaps confusing NetBIOS with NetBEUI?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041 Edited by zlim

• 2 months later...
Are you sure you don't have it?I found this I had to open the network adapter (in Control Panel) and click on the Bindings tab to see that TCP/IP and IPX/SPX were both checked. Then in IPX/SPX , I had to look at the NetBIOS tab and be sure that I had a check mark in "I want to enable NetBios over IPX/SPX" on my 2K computers.Are you perhaps confusing NetBIOS with NetBEUI?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041
could be, I may redig getting this to work again. It looks like networking on XP is using TCP/IP as the base protocol then uses netbios over it... hmm, well, so maybe the Win98 machines have to do that as it wont work with straight Netbios. Sound correct?