Is windows 10 for me?

jeffw_00

Hello,

Yep.

Microsoft's reasoning is that they've had a fragmentation problem within Windows. Too many users didn't upgrade from Windows XP, and the same problem repeated itself with Windows 7. With Windows 10, home users and small businesses who don't get the Enterprise SKU will only have one version of Windows 10 available to them: The latest version.

This is not so much about "control" as it is having to spread resources supporting multiple versions of Windows. Currently, between all the desktop and server Windows operating systems, CPU platforms, languages, editions and service pack levels, Microsoft has to support several thousand different builds of Windows. This maybe gets them down into the low thousands or maybe even hundreds of different builds. Having to test every single patch across that plethora of OSes is... difficult.

I would imagine this is something analogous to what Apple does, with its customers usually upgrading rapidly to the latest version of Mac OS X (or macOS, as I guess it's now called), iOS and so forth.

Keep in mind that if you do want that granular level of control, you could look into enterprise licensing. I believe they start for as little as five (5) computers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh - Great paper - (admittedly I've read only sections so far - but have put aside to finish later). However, you highlight the problem I have with Window 10. I have little control over my smartphone. Upgrades are forced on me (thank you Verizon), whenever they feel like it. Privacy is problematical, and I learn to do things Android's way. But I'm cool with that, because I don't use my phone for much. I think Microsoft looked at that model (which Apple got everyone acclimated to for phones), and said - "hey - let's use that too. The more we control, the happier most people are". That may indeed be true, while the minority "roots" their phone and has it their way.

However, unlike with my phone, with my desktop PC, I'm a fanatical power user, and I'm accustomed to having it set up and run EXACTLY the way I want it to (thank you Perl scripting). So, for example, all updates happen only the morning after the weekly full backup. Windows 10 wants to take some of this control away from me, and there's no easy way to "root" my PC. So I'm staying with Windows 7, where I'm in charge, until they pry it from my cold dead hands (well, until Microsoft stops supporting it, I'm not a total idiot :-}).

Anyway- thanks for the paper, and thanks everyone for listening :-}

best

/j

Thanks Aryeh - although by "control" I was thinking more of the options they took away from you inside the program, rather than revision control. I don't think even the enterprise version gives you all the "knobs" back :-}

best

/j

Hello,

Well, if you license the Windows 10 Enterprise edition and install the Long Term Servicing Branch, you could install the RTM build of Windows and never apply an update to it. You might continue to receive certificate revocation lists and signature updates for Windows Defender, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

Even home users will be allowed to push off updates for a period of time. not too long, probably about a month. There will also be an option to change when the update application reboot occurs.

What i found interesting was the slower bootup times mentioned. In all the pc's i've move to W10 the bootups were faster , even those with lots of things to strap on. How much RAM are on the pc's with slower boot times - any pattern?