VNC in Linux

GolfProRM

Bruno and I have been working on getting a working vncserver going on my machine so I can access it from work... I've installed the necessary vnc server software (tried a few different ones), and turned them on. If i look in the ~/.vnc folder, it shows an active server going, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to connect! I've tried connecting to my plain IP, adding the display port, adding the specific port address (5901-5903), and still no luck. Anyone tried this in Linux and had success?? Is there something I'm missing?P.S. I'm using cable internet, with no router (system plugged directly to modem), and I've messed with the firewall settings (even turned entire firewall off), but still no luck... I'm running Mandrake 9.1... I'm trying to connect from a Windows machine, and Bruno was trying to connect from Linux (but that shouldn't matter anyway)...

lamadamadingdong

GolfProRM: :P :P Yeah! :P :P Another VNC soul. I use it myself, even with Mandrake 9.1. As for your troubles, hard to guess. The firewall was a good place to start, but I would need to know more about your setup (both on your server and client sides) to be able to help you. Specifically, what VNC server are you running? Personally, I use RealVNC for both client and host, but that is just my preference. Additionally, does your client computer (at work?) have a firewall? Without knowing more, my first impression is that it is Mandrake's network setup (which I have had personal problems with before), or possibly your client-side computer firewall. Other than that, VNC should have no problem connecting.As for my own setup, I have a Mandrake 9.1 box in my dorm on campus running RealVNC server when I am away, which I access from the computer in my lab (also on campus, and a Windows 2k system) using RealVNC client -- granted, perhaps my suscess has to do with being on an intranet rather than the internet proper. Again, hard to say what is not working in your setup, but with more details (not your IP of course :P), I will try to help you as much as I know how.lamadamadingdong

Hi lamadamadingdongWelcome to the forum!You help this guy, GolfProRM ( Ryan ), out will you ? Reading your post you should be well able to !Ryan just started recently with Mandrake but he´s a fast learner !Tanks for offering your help ! :P :P :P Bruno

GolfProRM: :P  :P Yeah!  :P  :P  Another VNC soul.  I use it myself, even with Mandrake 9.1.  As for your troubles, hard to guess.  The firewall was a good place to start, but I would need to know more about your setup (both on your server and client sides) to be able to help you.  Specifically, what VNC server are you running?  Personally, I use RealVNC for both client and host, but that is just my preference.  Additionally, does your client computer (at work?) have a firewall?  Without knowing more, my first impression is that it is Mandrake's network setup (which I have had personal problems with before), or possibly your client-side computer firewall.  Other than that, VNC should have no problem connecting.As for my own setup, I have a Mandrake 9.1 box in my dorm on campus running RealVNC server when I am away, which I access from the computer in my lab (also on campus, and a Windows 2k system) using RealVNC client -- granted, perhaps my suscess has to do with being on an intranet rather than the internet proper.  Again, hard to say what is not working in your setup, but with more details (not your IP of course  :P), I will try to help you as much as I know how.lamadamadingdong
I've tried the standard VNC (from AT&T website), as well as TightVNC... haven't tried RealVNC yet though...I don't think it has anything to do with a client issue as I've connected to my Windows partition many times using VNC... I may have to check my network setup tonight and see if that's the issue... I've never had connection problems, so I'm not sure if there's a setting missing or not... I'll play with it some more tonight (removing all the VNC stuff I installed and then trying RealVNC to see if that helps...

lamadamadingdong

Good luck with checking your network setup (my best guess) and RealVNC.With VNC two the important details have to do with making sure that you have set a session password (usually done though setup and starting the VNC server), and that the relevent ports are open. From your description of the problem, you should have the ports open through your firewall, and I imagine that you know about the need/reason for the password and have already assigned one.I will review (probably re-install RealVNC from scratch) and check how I set up my VNC connections to see if I can find your problem in my own setup. As I recall, I didn't have much configuration to do to set it up, but for your sake (and my own interest in VNC, and just for fun), I will do my best to figure out what is wrong in your setup such that it doesn't work.Please do check out RealVNC (not an endorsment of any kind) because they have taken AT&T's VNC and tried to improve upon it in subtle but significant ways, and it has always worked for me.The fact that your VNC connection works in Windows but not Linux suggests (again) that it is Mandrake's network setup that is fouling you up. However, the fact that you can make other types of network connections suggests that Linux connects to the net fine. My suggestion is try to ping the VNC ports from abroad (can you VNC out (connect) to your work computer, for instance, and try to ping your home computer?) and see if you get a response? It is quite likely that Mandrake stealth blocks VNC's normal ports by default (despite your setting them otherwise).Again, good luck, and get back to us! :) :) :)

I tried Pinging my IP:5903 which is where my VNC Server's port is (I'm sure it's 3 and I'm pretty sure about the 5900).. I think that's how you'd ping the server correct? I'm at work now, so I can ping all day :)I can ping my IP, but not any of what would be the VNC ports...

RyanAs long as you got all those ports open, can I send you some really nasty trojans ? How safe is all this ?B) Bruno

No worms for me thank you! I closed them all up again when I went home for lunch. :)Thought I had the problem figured out... realized in all the installing I did, I had two different copies installed... one of the programs installed itself in /usr/bin, and another was in /usr/local/bin... After removing both, and reinstalling (Real VNC), I was able to VNC into my machine from my machine (didn't actually work, but did connect), so I know I've got the server configured... I'm not sure if it shut off or not though because back at work, I can't access it... I'm going to play with it again tonight (hooking up a VNC server to my work machine and using it to remote connect).

You´re only on your second day with this Ryan !Sometimes it takes just a little more . . . . B) :D Bruno

It is a pain, although it's fulfilling some of my brain's requests to actually think once in awhile... (work a mindless job and hadn't found a good brain stimulator until now :)It's just a pain because I have to remember to shutdown T-bird (and use webmail) when I leave home or wait until I get home to check my mail B)

Just when your the email-notification for your post came in I was trying to ping the address for you . . . 100% packet loss !!B) Bruno

Just when your the email-notification for your post came in I was trying to ping the address for you . . . 100% packet loss !!B) Bruno
Hmm... I did restart KDE, but that shouldn't have affected my internet... Just noticed that as I was trying to ping my system that it wasn't there anymore... maybe my ISP reset or something :D There's probably a reason I can't access VNC from work then :D

That's why I emailed those messages before I went to bed, so they'd be there when you got up and had time to work on them... never a rush B)

IT'S NOT WORKING!!! :o B) :o B) I checked this morning before I left for work to make sure vncserver was running... I get to work and I can't access it!!! B) Something must have changed between last night and this morning... I booted back into Winblows for awhile last night, and then back into Linux this morning (to setup my mouse), but for some reason, I can't connect to port 1!!!! I can still ping my IP, but that's it... I set vncserver to autostart with Linux (as a service), but something must not be right... :(

Check your Linux firewall settings again. Often times when you make changes to the firewall rules, they get lost on the next boot. I've seen that happen sometimes. Not sure why iptables doesn't stick.

nlinecomputers

Ryan forgive me but I've not read the whole thread so if you cover this please forgive me. How are you connected to the interent? If it is a broadband connection do you have a fixed IP or is it assigned by your ISP. I have a dynamic one and one of the things I have found is even if I am on line I loose connection and get a new IP every night. Could that be an issue here?Is so you might want to look at No IP.com.

I'm on broadband DHCP... (cable connection)... I haven't noticed anything similar to what you're talking about with the connection reloading every night though.. it very well could be, but I've never experienced anything like that... Also, I just booted up a little over an hour ago into Linux, so it wouldn't have reconnected since then... I can still ping my IP, just can't get to the VNC server.

nlinecomputers

Ryan,No offense but HOW do you know that your pinging YOUR box? That number could have been assigned to someone else. Now if you can telnet in or hit a webserver on it then you'd know for certain.

okay good point, but I did check my IP before I left for work, and the one I'm pinging is the one I wrote down... (the IP I've got hasn't changed since I installed Linux 3 weeks ago) I'm pretty sure it's my box....Edit - Don't have my ftp server up yet, so I can't check 100% for sure yet....

Okay... I get home for lunch, try to VNC from my machine to my machine (it's worked for connection testing), and it didn't work... I looked in my ~/.vnc folder and it showed the .pid (meaning the connection was up).. I typed <vncserver -kill :1> which should kill server running out of display 1, and it said no server found, but deleted the .pid file... I restarted vncserver and now everything should be okay...I don't think the process startup for vncserver is working correctly... That would be my guess as to why it didn't work after reboot..

nlinecomputers
okay good point, but I did check my IP before I left for work, and the one I'm pinging is the one I wrote down... (the IP I've got hasn't changed since I installed Linux 3 weeks ago)  I'm pretty sure it's my box....Edit - Don't have my ftp server up yet, so I can't check 100% for sure yet....
Figured as much but sometimes it is good to point out the obvious. Easy to overlook such things. :unsure:

Nathan - definitely know where you're coming from... sometimes it is the simplest of things that is causing the problem :)UPDATE - I get back to work, and I still can't access it... did forget to mess with my firewall settings, so that could be the problem, but won't know until I get home again in 4 hours... :unsure:

UPDATE - I get home and vncserver is still running... Firewall settings should allow vnc to come through... I can vnc locally to my machine... Even with my vnc server setup at work, I can't seem to vnc to my work machine... Can't ping my work machine anyway... server firewall must be in the way? Anyway, I'm lost now... I can VNC/RDC from work to my Windows install fine, but can't for the life of me do it in Linux