Calling All Cooks!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Here's some marinade recipes I had laying around. They are as is and might need some editing. :"> Seafood Teriyaki MarinadeCombine:1/2 cup soy sauce1 tablespoon sugar2 teaspoons lemon juice2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger1 clove garlic, minced2 tablespoons dry sherryEasy Fish MarinadeCombine:1/4 cup salad oil1/4 cup dry sherry2 tablespoons soy sauce1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce1 teaspoon garlic powder1/8 teaspoon pepperSeafood Herb-Wine Marinade1 cup dry white wine1/4 cup lemon juice2 tablespoons white wine vinegar2 cloves garlic, minced1 teaspoon tarragon leaves2 tablespoons melted butter or margarineIn a small pan, combine all ingredients. Heat to simmering, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.Orange-Soy MarinadeCombine:1/2 cup soy sauce1/2 cup orange juice1/4 cup catsup1/4 cup finely chopped parsley2 cloves garlic, minced2 tablespoons lemon juice1/4 teaspoon pepperItalian-style MarinadeCombine: 3/4 cup olive oil or salad oil1/4 cup white wine vinegar1 clove garlic, minced1/2 teaspoon oregano leavesSeafood Butter BasteCombine:1/4 cup melted butter or margarine1/4 cup lemon juice or dry sherry1/4 teaspoon dry rosemary1/4 teaspoon dry thyme leavesGinger Oriental Marinade1/3 cup vegetable oil3 tablespoons white vinegar2 teaspoons sugar1 1/2 teaspoons salt1 teaspoon soy sauce1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/8 teaspoon pepperIn medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Blend well.Lemon-Sesame Baste1/2 cup vegetable oil1/2 cup sesame seeds1/2 cup lemon juice1 teaspoon saltDash of pepperCombine all ingredients, stirring well.Lime-Orange Marinade1/4 cup lime juice1/4 cup orange juice1 tablespoon olive oil2 tablespoons minced shallots or scallions2 tablespoons fresh tarragon1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg1 lime, cut into 1/2-inch slices1 orange, cut into 1/2-inch slicesIn a shallow bowl, combine lime juice, orange juice, oil, shallots or scallions, tarragon and nutmeg. Use as a marinade and baste for grilled fish fillets or steaks.Place lime and orange slices on grill and baste lightly with marinade. Turn once and serve with the grilled fish. A great combination for any mild white fish, tuna or salmon.Margarita Marinade1/4 cup tequila1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley2 tablespoons lime juice2 tablespoons oil1 tablespoon honey1 teaspoon grated orange peel1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauceIn large non-metal bowl, combine all marinade ingredients; blend well.Satay Marinade1 cup coconut milk1 tablespoon brown sugar1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce1 tablespoon fresh lime juice1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/8 teaspoon ground gingerCombine all ingredients in a small bowl. A great marinade for prawns.Mango-Lime Marinade1/4 mango2 tablespoons lime juice1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes1 small fresh chilli pepper, minced1/2 tablespoon olive oilIn a bowl, mash mango with a fork. Add lime juice, cilantro or parsley, chilli peppers, garlic and oil. Stir briskly with a fork to blend.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't anybody eat baked beans on toast any more?1 can baked beans1 tablespoon chili sauceToast and butter.Mix sauce with beans, heat and chuck on toast.

Guest Paracelsus
Doesn't anybody eat baked beans on toast any more?

Not in the States. Here... it's "Beans & Franks". A staple of harried Mothers with hungry Kids, all over the US. And it was quite economical, when one was trying to feed eight kids, like my folks were. Good thing I never seemed to tire of it, as we had it frequently :thumbsup:Another staple was "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast". But I never did develop a taste for that. :)

Guest Paracelsus

It is with great sorrow that I must report that today, at approximately 11:45am CST...I consumed the last bowl of the 20qts of Vegetable Beef Stew I concocted last November. :'(I've been having it for lunch everyday at work since then... and I have to say that the last bowl was every bit as delicious as the first. I can hardly wait for this November :)

Edited by Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

A lot of it was in the freezer at any one time. :thumbsup:But with all the Garlic, Onions, and Herbs in it...I doubt it would gone bad even if I'd just kept it in the fridge. :P

Guest Paracelsus

That's very true, Dale. But north Texas starts heating up beginning this time of year. I usually need to start using my AC in April. And living in a small 1BR apt., the place heats up pretty quick when the oven or stove is on. So I don't do much "real" cooking between about May to October.But I have some other goodies I whipped up over the winter, portioned out, in my freeze. :thumbsup:Starting about this time of year, I go into "cold mode". Sandwiches... raw fruits & veggies... and things you can nuke.

:D :D :D B) ...oh no ....I can see it now .. Paracelsus... aka top ramen .. mega salad (I can make killer salads (HUGE))and micro wave pizzas .......... :P :) :thumbsup: :D Edited by longgone

And living in a small 1BR apt., the place heats up pretty quick when the oven or stove is on. 

In the hotter weather when I feel like a stew or curried casserole type meal, I use a electric crockpot or slow cooker. Not as much heat generated. The only drawback is that I only manage to get two or three meals out of the one I have. A much bigger one is on the too buy list. :unsure: Edited by Plukaduk

Guest Paracelsus

Good Idea!! :thumbsup:I must say that I've never really even considered a Crock-Pot. But it does seem like an ideal tool for someone who likes to cook but doesn't want the doubly high electric bills in the Summer.Which is the other thing that s--ks about apartments. The kitchen is all electric. :thumbsdown:My electric bill goes from ~40USD from late Autumn to early Spring... to ~140USD during AC season.

:unsure: ;) Crock pots ,,, B) .. great .. have two, 4qt and 5.5qt .. can do a killer stew ,,, or an excellent shrimp creole ,, amongst ,, pot roasts both beef and pork ... not to mention you can also make desserts in them ... Edited by longgone

• 3 weeks later...

How about a recipe and a question?The recipe:Mushroom Soup Scrambled EggsThoroughly mix a tablespoon or so of condensed cream of mushroom soup and a tablespoon or so of water with a couple of eggs. Scramble.The question:Can I freeze condensed mushroom soup? I rarely eat it as soup - I usually use it as an additive to other things. After I open the can can I put a few tablespoon sized chunks on some waxed paper and freeze them (eventually transferring the frozen chunks to a ziplock bag)?

Yes you can freeze stuff like that. I use ice block containers for liquid or almost liquid food, they come in all different sizes, I just put plastic wrap over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

Spicy Tropical Fish Cakes Ingredients (makes 10 fish cakes)500 grams fish fillets 1 onion, finely chopped ½ bunch coriander, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 3 small red chillies, finely chopped 1 tablespoon red curry paste 2 tablespoons fish sauce Juice from ½ lemon Salt and pepper to taste PreparationBlend fish fillet to coarse paste in a kitchen blender or finely chop with a knife. Add the rest of ingredients and mix evenly. Mould mixture into patties (50 g size).Fry in hot oil until cooked.Serve with steamed rice and soy/chilli dressing with fresh lime juice. >_<