• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

Pastitchio (Greek Lasagna)Sorry about lack of precise measurements...I'm like Paracelsus, I cook on the fly :D3lbs Ground beef2-3 medium onions (minced)3-4 stalks celery (minced)Small bunch fresh Italian parsley (chopped fine)Dry red wine (approx 1/4 cup)approx 6 ounces grated Parmesan1lb cut zitiwater6 eggs4 cups milkapprox 6 tbs butter4-5 tbs corn starch (flour roux may be substituted)1 small can tomato pastesalt, white pepper, cinnamon to taste.meat sauce:Brown ground beef with celery, onions, parsley, salt pepper. Drain. Place beef in pot, with 1/3 of Parmesan cheese, wine, cinnamon, tomato paste and water. Simmer for 1 hour or so adding water as needed. Meat sauce should be thick when finished.Ziti:Boil ziti to taste, drain. Return to pot (removed from heated) add 3Tbs butter, letting heat from pasta melt. Add 1/3 Parmesan and two eggs beaten and tempered (No scrambled eggs) Mix well. In 9x14 pan layer half of ziti on bottom, add all meat sauce as next layer, add remaining ziti as third layer.Cream Sauce:Add 4 cups milk, corn starch, butter, and 1/3 Parmesan cheese, white pepper, to sauce pan (salt to taste if needed). Bring to boil while stirring constantly. Boil until sauce is very thick (pudding consistency) remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Separate remaining eggs and beat whites to soft peaks. Gently beat in yolks. When white sauce has cooled properly (or you may temper meringue/yolk) fold into white sauce.Top layer of ziti with white sauce, spread evenly, sprinkle with a light coating of Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for approximately on hour. Top should be a nice golden brown color. Remove and let cool a few minutes before cutting.

Whatever You've Got Risotto 500g of skinned white fish fillets6-8 medium sized mushrooms, peeled and finely chopped ½ cup dry white wine 1 cup short grain rice 2 cups chicken stock 2 large dollop of butter (approx. 60g)1 chopped onion1 teaspoon crushed garlic salt and pepper1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)Use just about any white fish for this one - even tinned Australian salmon in an emergency! :D MethodSauté onion and garlic in a good sized pan for a few minutes. Stir in rice and wine. Slowly add the stock, stir well and add the salt, pepper and mushrooms. Cook for around 15 minutes until the rice is soft. Place the fish fillets on top of the rice, cover pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the fillets. When the fish is cooked, break it up with a fork and mix in with the rice. As a final touch, transfer to a heatproof dish, grate cheese on top and put under a grill until the cheese has melted. Looks messy but tastes great! :nuke: Creole Prawns with Wild Rice  This New Orleans-style dish tastes equally good with WA prawns and is adapted from an "An American Sampler II", by the American Women's Club of Perth. Wild rice was originally cultivated by the North American Indians. At least 2 cups of raw prawns (cleaned)4 large knobs of butter (approx 120 g)1 small onion, finely chopped1 small green capsicum1 teaspoon crushed garlic 8 green olives, stoned and finely chopped1 tin of tomatoes1 bay leafPinch of dried thymePinch of cayenne pepper2 teaspoons of parsley, chopped2 teaspoons of brown sugarSalt (to taste)1 cup wild rice or brown wild rice mixtureMethodSimmer onion, olives, cayenne and garlic in the butter over a low heat for about two minutes. Core and de-seed the capsicum, chop and add to the mixture. Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, brown sugar and salt and gently simmer for about an hour, until you are left with a thick sauce-like mixture. After you have started to cook your mixture, begin your boiled rice. If wild rice seems expensive, brown rice/wild rice mixtures can be purchased more cheaply. Stir raw prawns into mixture and simmer for around 10 minutes, making sure it is well heated. Serve on a bed of rice, accompanied with a glass of chilled white burgundy or a cold beer. B)

Pluka's Bouillabaisse. Ingredients (serves around ten hungry guests) 2 kg assorted fish pieces (cutlets, chunky and thin fillets - check what your local fish shop has and ask his advice) 1 kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded 6 green crabs, cleaned 1 green crayfish, any size, cut into chunks 200 gm scallop flesh20 yabbies 20 whole green prawns or cutlets 2 onions, peeled and chopped 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped 1 tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes 2 leeks, split, washed and roughly chopped (use white part only) 2-3 litres fish stock A good slurp of olive oil A handful of parsley, roughly chopped, plus a few sprigs of dill or fennel, thyme, a bay leaf or two, and a pinch of saffron 1 glass white wine (Riesling is great) Salt and pepper A little orange or lemon zest Lots of crusty breadMethod In a large heavy-based sauce pan or large casserole heat olive oil and lightly cook without colour the onions, leek and garlic for two minutes. Add tomatoes, then the thickest pieces of fish, crabs, yabbies, cray, prawns, herbs and citrus zest. Add saffron, salt and pepper and cover with fish stock and wine. Simmer with lid on for five minutes. Add scallops, mussels and thinnest pieces of fish (like whiting or herring) and cook for a further seven to ten minutes. Garnish using a sprinkle of parsley and dill. Leave in casserole and serve in large bowls with lots of crusty bread. Serving The traditional recipe is to pour the broth over the bread, I prefer the dunking method. :D

Edited by Plukaduk

Guest Paracelsus
:D :D :drooling:I LOVE Bouillabaisse!!! :D :w00t: :drooling:OK...I think most of us now know that Yabbies are the Antipodal version of (American) crayfish. So...What, then, is considered "Crayfish" in Oz??? B) Edited by Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

Ahh!! Those puny, albeit sweet, Pacific Lobster.Good...But no match for Homerus Americanus(Try as I might... I couldn't find a good photo of one that wasn't related to its premier status on the American East Coast Seafood Menu. This critter was probably a five pounder)

Edited by Paracelsus

Ahh!!  Those puny, albeit sweet, Pacific Lobster. Good...
Here you go a brace of King Island Crayfish, just the right size...Crays%2015.jpg Edited by Plukaduk

B) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dave (Pluka) ... I would like an honest straight up answer here .... what type of taste/flavor do emu eggs have as compared to plain old white chickens ???????????????///

Dave (Pluka) ... I  would like an honest straight up answer here .... what type of taste/flavor do emu eggs have as compared to plain old white chickens ???????????????///
Don aka Plukaduck :rolleyes: You can only eat Emu eggs if you are a Koorie (Aboriginal Australian) I think. I have been told that they are strong tasting. You also would only need one to make a omelette for a couple of people :hmm:
Paracelsus said: Jeez, Pluka...That Sam Kekovitch had me so scared, I think even I might eat lamb on Australia Day
Yes he has that effect on people, he certainly has the vegan and the other veggie type people in a snit over the advert. The advert has been before the advert censorship board and it was deemed fit for human consumption. :rolleyes: Now where's me Tofu snags (sausages) gone...? B)

B) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .... OOpppsss... sorry Pluka (Don) ... was thinking about your x-country cohort Ozidave.... reason I asked is the egg ranch where I get my eggs at have a couple of emu's and they sell their eggs also .. very dark green shell .. think they are 4 or 5 USD ( :w00t: :hmm: :w00t: ) each .. and it would make a TEXAS sized omelet ,, or a bunch of scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos Edited by longgone

I  asked is the egg ranch where I get my eggs at have a couple of emu's and they sell their eggs also .. very dark green shell .. think they are 4 or 5 USD ( :hmm:  :rolleyes:  :w00t: ) each .. and it would make a TEXAS sized omelet ,,  or a bunch of scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos
I have been having a bit of a Google around, and I'm 100% certain that the eggs are protected in Oz. The Koories can eat them as they are a traditional food source.Emu farming for meat and the by products, leather, feathers etc. is allowed if you have the necessary permits. So I suppose that the farmers would be keeping all the eggs for breeding purposes. :rolleyes: As you say they would make Texas size omelet B) Edit: Here's some more stuff includin recipes, egg carving etc...Tjuringa Emu Products Edited by Plukaduk

I have only seen 2 emu's there in over a year so I don't think it is for breeding ... Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes) B) :rolleyes:

I have only seen 2 emu's there in over a year so I  don't think it is for breeding ...  Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes) ;)  B)
Longone, these laws effect only Australia, and do not apply to other countries. I should have made that a bit clearer. ;) Mmmmmmmmmm Lab Rat Omelets. :hmm:

Guest Paracelsus
Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes)
:happyroll:You know it, Dale!!There are several Emu "Ranches" in these here parts of Texas. Emus were touted in the late '80s as "The New White Meat" (countering the Pork industry's ads for pork as "The Other White Meat"... battling the poultry industry). ;) Anyway...It never really caught on, that I know of. I think each raiser finds their own scam... erm... method, ya... method... of making a go at it. Many of them advertise (through an association), trying to entice new people into raising them. (Remember the Llama and Alpaca ranching schemes??)I've never had Emu meat or eggs... but I'd be willing to try them at least once :thumbsup:My motto toward eating is..."I'll Eat Anything That Doesn't Fight Back When I Poke It With A Fork" B) (Once, anyway ;) ) Edited by Paracelsus

Sorry to change the topic but I have a question and I thought you might be the ones to ask. I am looking for a recipe for hot wings that will make you sweat when you eat them. Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share?

Guest Paracelsus

Hi Rolanaj...I don't have a recipe, per se, since I never doing anything the same way twice. But I did some searching on sites I frequent... and the following should have at least one you can adapt to your preferences.I like my wings on the dry side, with a hot rub, rather than doused with Tabasco or sauces.Food NetworkCopy KatRecipe Gold MineBrian's BellyHappy Hunting B)PS - Good Find!!, Dale

Edited by Paracelsus

Here's a dry and a wet maridade that I have used to do chook wings in...Peri Peri Dry Rub5-6 fresh Birds Eye chillies (Jalapeno and Poblano are just as good), chopped4 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice (or cider vinegar)4 tablespoons oil1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or one tablespoon dried chillie flakes (optional)1 teaspoon minced garlic (or garlic powder)1 tablespoon paprikaI tablespoon oregano (optional)1 teaspoon saltCombine all ingredients. Grind and mix the ingredients into a smooth paste. Adjust the mix of cayenne pepper and paprika to taste. Rub marinade onto meat and allow to marinate in a glass bowl for at least thirty minutes (or overnight if possible) before cooking. This marinade works well on chicken, beef, or other meat. "Aging" the marinade by storing it in a frige for a few days allows the flavour to develop.If you want it hotter put more chillies in it. :bounce: Zimbabwe Peri Peri Brew 1 can / jar Chipotle chillies2 fresh Jalapeno chillies½ cup hot water 6 cloves garlic, minced ½ cup cider vineger 4 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons) 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon salt Slice the dried and fresh chillies in half and remove the stems, put ½ cup of hot water, the chillies and garlic in a blender container. Cover the blender and let stream and soak for 5 minutes to soften. Puree for 1 minute or untill smooth. Open the lid and add the viniger, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt' and hot pepper sauce (if desired). Blend for 30 seconds and adjust the seasoning to taste. Put the wings in and marinate over night.If you want it hotter put more chillies in it. ;) I have used the dry rub to do the wings and then use the Peri Peri Brew for dippin' the wings in B)

Edited by Plukaduk

• 2 weeks later...

Today (February 01) here in Queensland the Barramundi fishing season opens after a 3 month closure. Here's two Barramundi recipe's that I like. Any fish can be used though... :) Barramundi with Macadamia Nuts. Serves 4.2 plate-size Barramundi cleaned.6 slices white bread.2 tablespoons lime juice.100g chopped roasted macadamia nuts.¼ teaspoon nutmeg.Salt & pepper to taste. Grated rind of one lime. 150g butter. Toothpicks.With clean hands combine bread, lime juice, macadamia nuts, nutmeg and salt & pepper until the mixture forms a firm paste. Lightly fill Barramundi and close opening with toothpicks. Heat small amount of butter in pan and fry Barramundi 3 minutes each side or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Combine remaining butter and lime rind and spread on top of Barramundi. Serve with grilled Mediterranean vegetables, or a salad. Barramundi with Lime, Ginger, and S**take MushroomsServes: 4 as a main mealPreparation time: 20 minutes4 X 180g barramundi fillets (scored if thick fillets)100g fresh s**take mushrooms, sliced 3 teaspoons ginger, grated3 tablespoons light soy sauce3 tablespoons lime juice1 tablespoon sesame oil1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted⅓ cup coriander, finely choppedPartially fill a wok or saucepan with water (the base of the steamer should not touch the water) and bring to the boil.Place a plate in the steamer or line with baking paper. Arrange the mushrooms in the steamer and place the barramundi fillets on top of the mushrooms.Combine the ginger, soy, lime juice, sesame oil and sesame seeds in a bowl.Place the steamer on top of the wok or saucepan, spoon the sauce over the fish, sprinkle fish with coriander and cover with lid.Steam for 10-12 minutes until the fish is opaque or flakes easily with a fork.Remove steamer and serve barramundi fillets and mushrooms, spooning any remaining sauce over the fillets.Serve with steamed rice or noodles. :D Recipe's Courtesy Of Sydney Fish MarketThe forum swearword censor is stopping me from putting in the name for the mushrooms, replace ** with IT :w00t:

Edited by Plukaduk

:ph34r: :o ............Talk about a change of life ..........
Most barramundi begin their lives as males and change to females as they become much larger. The maximum legal size limit is in place to protect these females.
:thumbsup: