Calling All Cooks!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

My mistake.I thought 'roos and Wallabies were protected.You don't have to make out an incident report if you hit one?? Still permissible to take 'em home for the Chili Pot??Of course...In the latter case, no one will know you hit one in the first place :hmm:I guess that makes sense.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Kangaroo's,  Wallabies, Possums in profusion as road kill. If you get really lucky you can find a fresh Bullamacow  :thumbsup:
WoW!Critter-Fritter'sYummmmeeeeeeeee!:happyrollsick: :D :w00tx100: :bounce:

Brannigan’s Creek Muddy Dip.½ kgs. Mud Crab Meat. ½ kgs. Cream Cheese. Juice of 1 Lemon. ½ packet Thai Curry Paste. 1 tablespoons Chilli Sauce. 1 tablespoons Crushed Garlic. Garlic bread. Whip Cream Cheese up with 3 tablespoons of Crab juice, then mix in other ingredients.Add Crab meat and mix together. Put in baking dish and bake in oven at 320º for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot with Garlic bread. B) A Queensland Mud Crab (1.7 kg) muddie_2.jpg

Guest Paracelsus

Mebby...But a crab like that would make anybody look good. :thumbsup:Now...If the Invertebrate Zoölogy I studied 30 years ago serves me correctly...A "broad tail" on a crab indicates a female. Hopefully, she had a chance to breed before you made dip outta her.I wonder if crab roe tastes as good as lobster roe? :rolleyes:

Hopefully, she had a chance to breed before you made dip outta her.
It's (was) a male crab with a narrow abdominal flap. :rolleyes: Female crabs have a broader abdominal flap and are protected in Queensland. :D

Guest Paracelsus

Ah! Well now...That's different. Of course...Having been raised on the US East Coast, I'm most familiar with the Blue CrabThere's nothing like a lightly breaded, sautéed in butter, "Soft Shell Sandwich" ;) :drooling:Right, Julia? ;)EDIT - I've removed the link for the SSS recipe... I didn't realize how many cookies that site wants to set. I don't think anyone owns this recipe... But I will credit this one to www.foodnetwork.com "Cooking Live with Sarah Moulton". Search for "Soft Shell" and you'll find it.

Home > RecipesSoft-Shell Crabs SandwichesRecipes courtesy Gourmet MagazineShow: Cooking LiveEpisode:  Soft Shell Crabs Cook AlongRecipe SummaryYield: 6 servingsRatings and ReviewsUser Rating: 4 StarsRate Recipe Read Reviews Ratings & Reviews FAQ 6 small soft-shell crabs, cleanedSalt and pepper1 cup buttermilk1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning1 cup flour1/2 teaspoon cayenne2 tablespoons unsalted butter for pan frying3 tablespoons olive oil for pan fryingSeason the buttermilk with salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Place crabs in the buttermilk mixture. Let the crabs marinate covered and chilled, for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. Remove and pat dry. In a bowl, mix together the flour, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the crab in the flour, shaking off excess. Choose a heavy frying pan (or pans) that will hold all the crabs in one layer without crowding. Place the pans over moderately high heat and add butter and oil to create a thin layer (about 1/4-inch) in each pan. After the foam subsides, add the floured crabs. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the crabs are golden brown on the underside. Turn the crabs over. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown. Transfer them to paper towels to drain briefly.6 English muffins1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter2 tablespoons lemon juice2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced1 tablespoon minced shallotSalt and pepperHave ready English muffins, split in half and flattened with a rolling pin. In a small saucepan combine unsalted butter, lemon juice and parsley, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste, heat the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring until the butter is just melted and reserve it. Brush muffins with herbed butter and place on griddle. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes, remove and place 1 crab between 2 muffin halves.

I had been away from New York City for several years and found myself there for a class that my then company had sent me to. This was in the 80's. I don't remeber the class, don't remember what company sent me, but boy do I remember wandering around Little Italy and finding a family style Italian restaurant. I ordered the soft shell crabs (:P) and like Proust with his Madelines, the memories of childhood came back. My aunt used to make these from fresh caught crabs. She lived on Eastern Long Island, when it was a sparsely populated area. We used to vist her every so often. It was she who taught my mother and her other sisters to cook. But it was she who was the best of them all. She would bread the crabs and serve them with a little tomato sauce.Well, Proust gave you an entire book. You only had to read this.

Guest Paracelsus
She would bread the crabs and serve them with a little tomato sauce.
Yep! They don't need much extra, do they?The one addition I might add to any Soft Shell recipe is little slather with a mild, buttery, cheese... Like Brie or Camembert. B) :whistling:I fell in love with crab as a teen, after we'd moved from western Pennsylvania to south Jersey. My Mother's brother had a house at the shore in Avalon. Up 'til then... the only seafood I would eat was french fried shrimp and fish sticks. Lobster is good...But once I had a taste of fresh crab...I was hooked!!I'll take most any kind of crab over lobster, any day! :)

Here's a drink recipe or two for the festive season...WARNING this stuff is deceptive and goes down to easy. :wacko:Yo Ho Ho Shake2 to 3 cups of a quality chocolate ice cream (Cadbury's)½ to 1 cup of milk (not low fat or skim)3 - 4 tablespoons of Jamaican Rum (Captain Morgan)Put all ingredients into a blender, blend till smooth.ole.gifAnd my favourite is this one...Aussie BlissSome cool, cool shade...one never ending, long... oh so cold beer. ;)

Guest Paracelsus

Thanks a lot! :pirate:I don't think I'm ready to pay for overnight shipping from the UKI usually like to make my own. But when I'm lazy...I go for either Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry :thumbsup:There use to be another good one called Fusen Gladje... But they just kind of disappeared about 10 years ago. I've never know what happen to them ;)

Guest Paracelsus

Today is our dept. Christmas Pot Luck Lunch. I had the urge to cook again, and the recent talk about crab inspired me to do something unusual...Risotto SupremoIngredients

• Brown & Wild Rice
  • Shrimp (100-150 count)
  • Crab (real for yourself, family & friends; Artificial for co-workers)
  • Portobello & Button Mushrooms
  • Red Onion
  • Toasted Pignoli
  • Grated Romano Cheese (get the good stuff in the refrigerated section)
  • Roasted Garlic
  • Chicken Broth
  • Chardonnay
  • Olive Oil
  • Unsalted Butter
  • Basil
  • Marjoram
  • Thyme
  • Cummin (toasted, then ground)
  • Salt
  • Cracked Pepper

I can't give any quantities, 'cause like most of what I cook...This was entirely Stream-of-Consciousness ;)I will however, update this post with some procedure when I get a chance.By the way...It turned out purdy dern good.

Edited by Paracelsus

Well, I thought I would chime in with my own experience, but I know that my cooking skills are nothing compared to those of the chefs around here. :)Well, we had T-bone steaks today for lunch. Had I known this earlier, I would have broken out the grill, -5 temps nonwithstanding. So, we were stuck with broiling them. Since I felt like experimenting, I sprinkled some Mrs. Dash, Garlic salt, and dill on the steaks prior to broiling. Yummy! So much flavor, that I did not need Steak Sauce! My brother said they were "pretty good," so i know that he really liked them!Also, in light of my upcoming move off base (January 18th), I will be referring back to this thread for some recipes and ideas. ;)

Edited by ross549

Guest Paracelsus

I love Mrs. Dash! It's great on steamed mixed veggies, also.Never thought of Dill on steak. Will have to try that sometime.Glad you made it to Omro safe and sound! ;)

Edited by Paracelsus

:w00t: ;) ... Ummmmmm .... Mrs. Dash original in 'mashed taters, sprinkled on steaks that were marinated overnight in ... cajun spice .. injectable marinade .... almost time to grill .........

That does sound good.....Now the question...... I am going to be making french toast in the morning. What can I do to change the recipe a bit, and introduce the family to a new taste sensation? :PEdit: Stupid keyboard........

Edited by ross549

Depending upon how brave you are,,,,, make a batch using vanilla flavoring, another batch using either strawberry or orange flavoring, of course you are going to mix in cinnamon and sugar right at the start ... yes/no ..

• 2 weeks later...

I owed you this one Paracelsus. :P Crab Cakes500g peeled, cooked crab meat1 onion finely diced1 red capsicum, seeded, finely diced500g gruyere cheese grated200g bread crumbs, fresh1 tsp sesame oil1 egg white1 tsp sake1 tsp soy sauce1 tsp grated fresh ginger1 tsp chopped fresh garlica pinch of sea salt and white pepperMethodCombine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the bread crumbs. Add a sprinkling of bread crumbs to help bind mixture. Shape into small patties and then lightly coat in the fresh bread crumbs.In a heavy based frypan heat some peanut or olive oil, add the crab cakes and fry until golden on both sides. Finally garnish with some chopped chives and/or fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top.These are absolutely delicious served with a home style mayonnaise, cocktail style sauce or chilli dipping sauce.ole.gif