Calling All Cooks!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus
And what  type of plums are  used????????
None!There are no "Plums" in Plum Pudding. :hmm:However...The resolution to this apparent paradox...Will require you to request the recipe :devil:PlukaDuk - While I would love to claim this recipe... It actually belongs to LabRat's paternal Grandmother... and is the Scot's original. Not the NASTY things the Brits call Plum Pudding... with all those rancid citrons and Brandy ^_^ ;)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean it is a distant  cousin to  "blood" pudding ???
And it's nae related to a huggis... ;) Thanks for the recipe Paracelsus, much appreciated. I will make a couple of them over the weekend for the winter/summer solstice festivities in December.By the way my old mum used suet in all the puddings etc. she used to make. B) Pluka

Guest Paracelsus

I dunno, Dale. Perhaps you're thinking of Mock Blood Pudding :PThe Blood Pudding recipe I found, has lotsa blood in it. (And looks pretty dern tasty at that)Seems somewhat similar to Blood Sausage, which I have tried before.Blood is really quite nutritious. Which only makes sense.... when you consider that all the nutrients your cells get are delivered via the circulatory system.

:blink: :hmm: I just think I will pass..... obviously that receipe (blood puddin') is so not recommended for a diabetic, what with over a pound of sugar ... have paramedics on scene for fast help...

I remember a tale my father used to tell about Duck's Blood soup when he was a teen...he said it was excellent with delicious pieces of fruit, apples raisns etc. He was thoroughly enjoying himself until the host told him what he was eating. Lets just say that was the last time my father was asked back. When he grew older and his pallette matured, he often wished he could sample it again.For those interested, here is a recipe. link

YUMMY!!, NRDMy mouth is watering. :drooling:
It looks like we all need to follow this psalm... o:) Psalm 23 rev.dietStrict is my diet, I must not want.It maketh me to lie down at night hungry.It leaded me past the confectioners.It trieth my willpower.It leadeth me in the paths of alteration for my figure's sake.Yea, though I walk through the aisles of the pastry department,I will buy no sweet rolls for they are fattening.The cakes and the pies, they tempt me.Before me is a table set with green beans and lettuce.I filleth my stomach with liquids, My day's quota runneth over.Surely calorie and weight charts will follow me all the days of my life,And I will dwell in the fear of the scales forever.Pluka

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paracelsus

WOW!!Amazing how the sight of a little blood tends to chase folks away. :hmm: :lol:Anywho...Even though we've been having an Indian Summer heat wave in north Texas this past week...The arrival of November (Yes, IBE98765... I do realize it isn't officially until tomorrow) is time for Home Made Soups & Stews.The Beans have been soaked...The Rice has been sautéed...The Baby Carrots have been braised...The Bouquet Garni has been tied...Now...It's time for some serious assembly.As with most of my cooking... this is entirely "Stream of Consciousness" :blink:Tio Franco's Beef Stew

• * "15 Bean" Soup mix* Brown Rice* Baby Carrots* Acorn Squash* Brussels Sprouts* Corn* Snap Peas* Radishes* Leeks* Button Mushrooms* Red Onion* Elephant Garlic (roasted first)* Fresh Herbs (Basil; Rosemary; Chives; Sage)* Cracked Pepperand* A London Broil - Cubed, floured, sautéed in Olive OilFor liquid...* Merlot; my home brew Beer; and a little fresh pressed Apple Cider

:thumbsdown: Hungry Yet!? :hmm:

That sounds delicious. I must admit hubby made his first soup of the season last week. Even though it is 83 degrees out today, it was still good. Turnips, rutabaga, squash, tomatoes, beans, beans, beans, onion, garlic, mushrooms...... He even threw in meat this time. I think it was chicken. It was great. I froze several servings to take to work with me. :w00t:

Guest Paracelsus
Get fed and snockered all in one fell swoooooppppp .. now where ish the couch (hic) at .....
Oh, now!! Dale!Didn't you learn anything from Julia.No...Not Teacher.... The other Julia ("Saaaaave The Liver!!") B)Boiling PointsHOH - 212° FC2H5OH - 172° FMost of the Alcohol evaporates after several hours of simmering.Now then...It became apparent yesterday evening that I had failed to adequately account for expansion during the simmering phase, as I added more ingredients. (Remember... Things that take longer to cook go in first)My trusty ol' 8qt. stock pot just couldn't hack the load.I thought about buying one at the excellent Kitchenware Website Dale linked earlier in this thread... but I need something now.So...I just got back from the local WMCC, with a top-o-the-line 16qt. job :oYeeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaaaaah!!Now I can Double the recipe. :D

Guest Paracelsus
Childs or Roberts ??????????????
:D :hmm: :lol:Which ever one of the two you prefer, I guess.Although, I can't recall ever hearing JR say... "Saaaaaave the Liver!" B)

I have been given a bucket full of Yabbies, here's a couple of recipes that I will be using...Yabbie Boilup with Pepper sauce4 litres water2 tablespoons paprika1 tablespoon crushed dried red pepper2 tablespoons red-hot pepper sauce1 tablespoon dry mustard1 teaspoon garlic powder¼ cup lemon juice4 bay leaves4 dozen whole Yabbies washed1 cup Pepper sauce (recipe follows)In an 8 litre pot, combine water, paprika, dried pepper, hot pepper sauce, mustard, garlic powder, lemon juice and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.Add Yabbies to pot. Stir, return to a boil, cover and cook for 5 - 6 minutes. Drain and serve  on a large tray with Pepper sauce. 4 servings.Pepper sauce1 tablespoon olive oil½ cup chopped onions1 tablespoon minced fresh chilli1 clove garlic, minced¾ cup chopped roasted sweet red capsicum (pepper) 1 teaspoon paprika½ teaspoon red-hot pepper sauce1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce1 teaspoon prepared mustard1 teaspoon red wine vinegar1 tablespoon chopped, seeded lemon sectionsIn a small skillet, heat oil. Add onions, chilli peppers and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. In a blender, combine sautéed vegetables, red peppers, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar and lemons. Puréed until smooth, about 1 minute on high, stopping to scrape down sides.Cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavours. Makes 1 cup B) :) :happyroll: yabby.jpgYabbie Tails over Savoury Rice1 tablespoon peanut oil1 cup sliced celery½ cup sliced scallions½ cup diced green capsicums (peppers)½ cup diced sweet red capsicums (peppers)1 clove garlic, minced1 teaspoon paprika¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper½ cup chicken stock500grams Yabbie tails, peeled and deveined2 cups Savory Rice (recipe follows)In a large skillet, heat oil. Add celery, scallions, green peppers and red peppers and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, cayenne and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.Add Yabbies, stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Serve over Savoury Rice.Serves 4 Savoury Rice1 clove garlic, minced1 tablespoon olive oil1/2 teaspoon celery seeds1/4 teaspoon pepper1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley1 cup rice1 3/4 cup chicken stock1 tablespoon lemon juice1 teaspoon butterIn a saucepan, sauté garlic in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.Add celery seeds, pepper, parsley, rice, chicken stock and lemon juice. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, undisturbed, for 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and fluff with a fork before serving.Makes 2 cups. :lol: :lol: :D

Guest Paracelsus

Sounds Yummy!!, PlukaThanks for the graphic. I was about ready to Goggle for "Yabbies". May I assume they're Freshwater??Depending on what region of the US one lives... Here they're called:

• Crayfish
  • Crawfish
  • Crawdadsor
  • Mud Bugs

Any idea where the term Yabbies comes from? (I love etymology.) Aboriginal??BTW...Thanks for posting to this thread. I needed something to take my mind off of Politics and the Election! B)

May I assume they're Freshwater??Depending what region of the US one lives... Here they're called:
  • Crayfish
  • Crawfish
  • Crawdadsor
  • Mud Bugs

Any idea where the term Yabbies comes from?  (I love etymology.)  Aboriginal??

Here's a link to more Yabby info from where I stole the graphic from CSIROI've found that the best thing to get your mind of the elections is to have another beer... :) We have just had our federal election here in Australia, my lot did not win here either. I had my money on the Democrats winning so I dip out on that as well... B)

B)  :happyroll: freshwater lobsters .... haven't seen many blue ones ... must be really big .. most common here are red or green....
We have the Marron from West Australia which is the largest of the lot. :) Here in Queensland which is the state where I live the Redclaw is the most common and grows to a good size. :lol: The Yabbies got a mention before... :lol:

Guest Paracelsus

Thanks for the links, Pluka! You Aussies seem to have an enviable system for Aquaculture. We do that here with Catfish and Salmon... But I'm not sure if there's any "Farm Raised" Mud Bugs yet.Temmu a/o Lewmur could correct me on this... as most of the Crayfish in the US come from Luzanna (Louisiana, with a Cajun drawl).The only thing I find curious is that your versions apparently have the head and tail reversed :hmm:Must be an "Antipode" thang. :whistling:BTW - I tried the extra brew remedy on the 3rd. Just left a bitter taste in my mouth. :"> :D :'(

Thanks for the links, Pluka!  You Aussies seem to have an enviable system for Aquaculture.  We do that here with Catfish and Salmon... But I'm not sure if there's any "Farm Raised" Mud Bugs yet.Temmu a/o Lewmur could correct me on this... as most of the Crayfish in the US come from Luzanna (Louisiana, with a Cajun drawl).The only thing I find curious is that your versions apparently have the head and tail reversed  :hmm:Must be an "Antipode" thang. :whistling:BTW -  I tried the extra brew remedy on the 3rd.  Just left a bitter taste in my mouth. :'(  <_<  :P
A good percentage of Louisiana crayfish are "farm raised." The "farmers" actually "rotate their crops" between rice and crayfish. Each year, we here in the N.O. area, wait impatiently for the "Bell River" crop to be "harvested." They are not only the best crayfish, but the price drops signicantly from the "wild harvest."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paracelsus

Time to pop this thread back to the top :PWe had our R&D dept. Thanksgiving "Pot Luck" lunch last Friday, and I made a big batch of Beef Stroganoff, which I hadn't made for a while. Naturally...LabRat kept pestering me to do some experimenting. Kept saying... "You never use a recipe anyway". Well..."A little bit of This... And a little bit of That" later, and... :devil: OMG!!! :devil: ... This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for the clowns I work with. :ph34r: But I took it in anyway.I'm going to try and get this one codified (something I rarely do) this weekend and will post it when it's ready for publication.

This was one of the first Road Kill recipes I found on the net. :devil: Ted's Texas Road Kill Chilli.Copyright Ted Rockwell ©19924 lb. fresh road-kill. 1 tsp. black pepper.2 beers or 750ml zinfindel. 1-3 tsps. oregano.2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped). 1 tsp. cumin powder.2-4 tbs. chilli powder. 1 tsp. salt.4 cloves crushed garlic. 1 16 oz. can Cantadina tomato sauce.1 tbs. finely chopped green onions. 2 tsb. chopped bell pepper.Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill. (Note: sometimes, due to the condition of the road-kill, grinding up may not be necessary). Just about anything is acceptable (Armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified...), (in other countries substitute your local critter) but stay away from skunks since their odoriferousnous may have a negative effect on the final result. If you live in an area where there's not much highway traffic, or where urbanisation has scared off all the critters and your neighbours keep their pets indoors, then you can use (all) the following meat as a substitute: 2 lb. ground beef (chilli grind).1 lb. venison (chilli grind) .. pork is ok.1 lb. ground Italian sausage.12 oz. Mexican chorrizo sausage.Mix all the meat in a large kettle. If using the "substitute" ingredients above, then cut open the chorrizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of the 4 lb. of other meats. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well. Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer (or wine) and all of the seasonings. It is a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the chilli pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste. Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally. Sample again and add additional cumin, chilli pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator over night. Reheat on the following day and serve. For an especially tasty presentation, serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Feeds 6 to 8. Enjoy! :ph34r:

Guest Paracelsus

So tell me, Pluka...What substitutes well for an Armadillo in the land of Antipodes??Cane Toads, Perhaps? :happyroll:Oops! That right... They're poisonous, aren't they? :happyrollsick:Locusts, then? Mice?Inquiring Minds Want to KnowBTW....Are you subtly intimating that my Beef Stroganoff is akin to Road Kill Chili :ph34r:

So tell me, Pluka...What substitutes well for an Armadillo in land of Antipodes??Cane Toads, Perhaps :happyroll:Oops!  That right... They're poisonous, aren't they? :happyrollsick:Locusts, then?  Mice?Inquiring Minds Want to KnowBTW....Are you subtly intimating that my Beef Stroganoff is akin to Road Kill Chili :P
We have Kangaroo's, Wallabies, Possums in profusion as road kill. If you get really lucky you can find a fresh Bullamacow (Pidjin English for cattle). :P Beef Stroganoff is a very nice meal known locally as Beef Strangled Horse :)