Calling All Cooks!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Speaking of breakfast for supper, my hubby makes killer omelets when he is too "lazy" to cook. :D  I'll take one of those any day.  I just try to convince him that I really don't need 3 eggs every time.
Sounds like me, I'm always being told 2 eggs are plenty. I wind up getting the extra. :thumbsup: :devil:The latest omelet kick here has been sauted spinach (fresh if possible), onions, and dill in a butter/olive oil mix with feta cheese added at the end (you don't want it melted completely) all stuffed in the omelet.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paracelsus
CHILI CON CARNE !!!!!in  english    =  peppers and meat  that is all . nothing more and its deliciousCHILI BEANS in english  =  chili con carne with beans added and it is also delicious End of Lesson
Utt-Ohh!!, George...You've done it now!! :oYou've lit the fuse on one of the most contentious questions in the Culinary World :ph34r:I beg to differ with your interpretation...But this shall have to wait until I get home later :thumbsup:

FRENCH SILK PIE
WebbPA, you may very well end up my most admired, respected, and bestest friend for life if this is the same receipe for French Silk Pie I had growing up. I've tried different receipes over the years but never found a match. This may be it. As I recall, it is so rich, a normal person can only eat a very small piece at a time. Then again, if you have a monsterous sweet tooth, you can probably handle two. :whistling:

'Cmon people! I'm waiting for new recipes!! I guess I'll have to post one to get one in return. So here is an easy one for "Cajun Roasted Pecans."1/2 pound of pecan halves1/4 stick of butter2 tablespoons of *Lea & Perrin's Sauce. (Another misnomer. I only put that size spoon on the table if I'm serving soup!)Tony Chacere's Original Creole Seasoning. (You'll notice I use this a lot)Place butter and L & P in a cup and melt in the microwave. Place nuts in 12" roasting pan and pour the butter and sauce over them. Mix well to evenly coat the nuts and then spread them out. (If can't spread them one nut deep, use a larger pan!!) Sprinkle creole seasoning over nuts to taste. (a lot) Place in the oven on the middle rack @ 225 degrees. Roast for 2 & 1/2 hrs, turning once every 1/2 hr. Let cool to room temp before serving. (If you're like me, put them in a zip bag and cool them in the freezer so you don't have to wait so long.)*Worstershire sauce can be used by yankees that don't have the real thing.

You want a recipe. Here is one of my daughter's specialties. She sautes the veggies before preparing everything. It really makes a big difference:Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Roll-ups with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce16 cremini caps, cleaned with a damp towel and finely chopped1 small yellow-skinned onion, finely chopped.2 cloves garlic, minced2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed drySalt and pepper1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or the equivalent of freshly grated2 cups part skim ricotta8 curly edge lasagna noodles, cooked to al dented (12 to 14 minutes)1 cup fat free chicken broth8 ounces Gorgonzola, crumbled1/2 cup (3 turns around the pan) heavy cream1 to 1.5 cups shredded mozzarellaIn a medium skillet over moderate heat, saute mushrooms, chopped onions,and garlic in oil until the mushrooms darken and give off their juicesand the onions are tender - about 7 or 8 minutes. Season with salt andpepper.Add dry chopped spinach to the pan and heat through for one minute. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg. Add ricottaand stir into the mixture to heat the cheese through, then one minutelonger. Remove the pan from the heat abut leave in the warm skillet.Heat the broth in a small pan over moderate heat. Melt the Gorgonzolainto the broth and bring the liquid to a bubble. Stir in the cream andthicken the sauce about 2 minutes.Place cooked lasagna noodles on a large work surface or cutting board. spread the lasagna noodles with a layer of spinach-mushroom filling. Roll up the pasta and arrange the 8 bundles in a shallow casseroledish. Pour warm sauce over roll-ups and top with mozzarella. Place thedish under the boiler to melt the cheese. Serves 8.

Guest Paracelsus

Yummy-YummyJulia!!Anything with Mushrooms & Cheese get bumped up on my list of recipes to try. But... Experimenter that I am... I may try substituting the Spinach with Kale or Swiss Chard :thumbsup:I love Spinach...But it's fun to try new things

Guest Paracelsus
the only argument i have is whether or not there are any beans in chili con carne .
OK, George...All I'll say for the moment is that "con carne" is Spanish for "with meat". Ergo...If there is chili with meat... there must be chili without meat..Per se... "Chili"... Used in reference to the "dish", has a meaning beyond the Peppers (fresh, dried, or ground) used in preparation.

Chilli Sans Carne There are lots of different ways of doing this. As long as you've got chillies, red kidney beans and no meat in it, I reckon you can call it 'Chilli Sans carne'. Here's one of my versions. I usually serve this with guacamole, a simple salsa made of chopped tomatoes and green coriander and maybe some lettuce leaves and plain yoghurt. Taco shells really finish it offIngredients500 - 700 g cooked red kidney beans2 potatoes2 tomatoes1 red or green sweet pepper1 onion6 or 7 shelled walnuts3 - 4 cloves of garlicHalf a tsp. each of red chilli powder and ground cumin1 green chilliOilSaltFinely chop the onion, pepper, tomatoes, chilli and walnuts. Cut the potatoes into 1 cm cubes.Fry the onions until they start to brown, then throw in the peppers, walnuts, potatoes, ground spices, chilli and crushed garlic. Stir and fry for another 2 or 3 minutes before adding the tomatoes, beans and salt. Stir, put a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes.

Edited by Plukaduk

Guest Paracelsus

Going back to the topic of Sweetbreads...My sister and her husband from Atlanta stopped over for a weekend on Sept.10, after a trade show my b-i-L, Doug, had in Dallas. Well... there ain't much to do in Denton in early Sept. (thank goodness we had a "cool" spell while they were here), so we spent Saturday cruising around Lake Ray Roberts.On the way back home, I took them to Clark's Outpost in Tioga (childhood stomping grounds of Gene Autry) for dinner. Clark's always gets rated highly in reviews of the best barbecue joints in Texas. They've changed the menu a bit from the last time I was there, and it was interesting to see that they now offered "Lamb Fries" as either an appetizer or entrée.We decided to get the large appetizer order for starters. Doug said he'd had them before, but Marianne didn't know what they were. We said we weren't going to tell her until she tried one and decided if she liked it or not. Fortunately...These were well prepared and were quite tender with a mild flavour. We all had a good laugh as Doug, in his best, gentlemanly, north Georgia drawl, tried to explain the origins of Lamb Fries.As we enjoyed our main course of Ribs; Brisket and Smoked Sausage... Three young couples came in as a group and were seated by us. As they looked over the menu, one young lady asked; "What are Lamb Fries??". Naturally we burst out laughing, as did the tree guys in their group. Somewhat abashed, the lady, looking in our direction, asked what was so funny. To which Doug replied..."I'm sorry. But not having made your acquaintance... I believe it would be inappropriate for me to relate the origins of this particular delicacy." This provoked a response from one of the three young men, still barely controlling their laughter... "Don't you mean... tes-ticular delicacy?" B) B)

I assume this is the same as Rocky Mountain Oysters???? Never heard them go by this name despite hearing of a number of names. Never cared to try them either. B)

Guest Paracelsus

George=:D :rolleyes:

I assume this is the same as Rocky Mountain Oysters???? Never heard them go by this name despite hearing of a number of names. Never cared to try them either.
While George seems to have provided a veritable Thesaurus of euphemisms for these tasty (testy?) treats :harhar: ....I believe the major distinction between "Rocky Mountain Oysters" and "Lamb Fries" pertains to what type of animal they originally came from. Lamb is fairly obvious. I may be mistaken, but I think that RYO's are generally Bovine in origin.But I've never understood how people can be squeamish about something they haven't even tasted... Simply because of what it is. Or even worse...Try it and like it... and then get ill when they find out what it is. :hmm:Personally...I find the thought of eating raw shellfish far more revolting than sweetbreads. (And I LOVE raw shellfish)One anecdote I forgot in my yarn above. When we placed our order for the appetizer... Doug teased the waitress that she better make sure the chef plates an EVEN number! :D

:D :huh: Welllll... although I have never partaken of RMOs myself, I would give it the benifit of the chance, considering some of the "delicasies" (used loosely) that I have sampled in various countries I visitied while floating around the ocean. Now domestically, that ox tail stew I mentioned furthere back that my Dad made was mighty tastey (although I really think it was bovine tail) and beef tongue was equally good, after a sufficient amount of boiling was done ... and battered and fried jumbo shrimp .. ummmm so good.

Guest Paracelsus
... I would give it the benifit of the chance, considering some of the "delicasies" (used loosely) that I have sampled in various countries I visitied while floating around the ocean.
Now THAT'S the proper attitude! :thumbsup:I lost my squeamishness about "food" as an undergrad. Between Invertebrate Zoölogy; Entomology & Marine Phycology we sampled some fairly exotic items.Now... I pretty much eat anything that doesn't fight back when I poke it with a fork :huh: (At least once)

But I've never understood how people can be squeamish about something they haven't even tasted... Simply because of what it is.  Or even worse...Try it and like it... and then get ill when they find out what it is. :huh:
Another thing that really stuns me is the old "I don't like it" when they've never actually tried it. I get this all the time. I got into a bit of a tiff with a family member who claimed to "not like" fried squid (aka calamari). I asked if they ever tried squid, their response was "No, but I know I won't like it"After a good deal of haranguing, the person in question tasted and now LOVES squid, especially the tentacles (arguably the best part!!). Personally, I'm willing to try ANYTHING at least once, and will usually give most dishes two chances. Variety is the spice of life, afterall. :D

Another thing that really stuns me is the old "I don't like it" when they've never actually tried it. I get this all the time. I got into a bit of a tiff with a family member who claimed to "not like" fried squid (aka calamari). I asked if they ever tried squid, their response was "No, but I know I won't like it"After a good deal of haranguing, the person in question tasted and now LOVES squid, especially the tentacles (arguably the best part!!). Personally, I'm willing to try ANYTHING at least once, and will usually give most dishes at two chances.  Variety is the spice of life, afterall.  :huh:
Ah, the perfect place to reply with a poem:
rattlesnake meat A gourmet once challenged me to eat A tiny bit of rattlesnake meat. Remarking don't look horror-stricken You'll find it tastes a lot like chicken. It did. Now chicken I cannot eat Because it tastes like rattlesnake meat.  - Ogden Nash

I'm not sure why I want to know, but how many turkeys have to give up hope of progeny before one can make a meal of these?
HEHE...I just did a bit of searching and I don't think it would take as many Turkeys as you think. Lets just say, we have more in common with Turkeys than I previously thought. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :P :lol: Thet can't be to private ... there open to the world to see .. imagine a bull wearing a pair of Wranglers ... :devil: :lol: I had raw Octopi once and only once...bland taste, but, IMHO, I could have chewed on that until the cows came in and it still have been like shoe leather. Smoked/fried oysters I can do, tried raw once, was not impressed with the gritty stuff I encountered, fried battered squid aka calimari,,, is good.. prefer cervechi (spell ck) to sushi any day but to each their own ....

:lol:  :P  :lol: Thet can't be to private ... there open to the world to see .. imagine a bull wearing a pair of Wranglers ... :devil:  :lol:  I had raw Octopi once and only once...bland taste, but, IMHO, I could have chewed on that until the cows came in and it still have been like shoe leather. Smoked/fried oysters I can do, tried raw once, was not impressed with the gritty stuff I encountered, fried battered squid aka calimari,,, is good.. prefer cervechi (spell ck) to sushi any day but to  each their own ....
It sounds like you had improperly prepared octopus. When done right its very tender. Prepared with vinegar, olive oil, lemon etc its excellent.I've also had gritty oysters only occasionally. Raw oysters topped with a bit of horseradish and/or tabasco...heck even plain are a personal favorite.I've also got a great recipe for mussles somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post for those that are interested.

Here's a recipe I found a while back, it may be related to the Lambs Fries etc.Chinese CrocodileIngredients:1 Kg. of crocodile's nuggets½ Cup of tequila1 Teaspoon of flour½ Cup of soy sauce2 Garlic's teeth 2 Spoonfuls of oilPreparation:1 - Put the nuggets to marinate together with the garlic, salt, pepper, tequila and flour.2 - Fry them in the oil and add the soy sauce and the ½ cup of consommé or water.3 - You can include vegetables while cooking ( broccoli, celery, onion and carrot or spinach). It can be accompanied with white rice.This recipe is unedited.

:lol: :lol: NRD.............Not my fault... I was in Japan , in a bar, a bit hungry and ordered something to eat to go along with what I was drinking,,,, and that was what I got, of course I was way past intoxicated too,,,,,,,,,, maybe should have gone to a diner instead.

Guest Paracelsus
ESCARGOT
I also love snails. Although, I prefer a crisp Chardonnay with these tasty little Gastropods :thumbsup:
I've also got a great recipe for mussels somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post for those that are interested.
Bring it on!! I'll take mussels over clams any day. :drooling:LittleBone - Where did you find that poem? Definitely a funny twist on the ol' "tastes just like chicken" thing. :lol:
1 Kg. of crocodile's nuggets
:lol: :w00t: If it weren't for the " 's ", I might have thought they just meant diced crocodile meat :hmm: However, the overall recipe looks pretty good.

and i also wonder just WHO does that neutering
georgeg4, I live about 250 kilometres north of Steve Irwin The Crocodile Hunter's Australia Zoo here in Queensland Australia. Now when he appears on his TV shows he uses 3 or 4 helpers to jump on the Crocodile, Steve has not only got to nick off the "Nuggets", but get out of the way of the very pi**ed of Crocodile at the same time.I do not think this would be a cost effective way of farming either.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paracelsus

With the Holidays swiftly approaching, I thought I would once again offer "The World's Best Plum Pudding" recipe to anyone who may wish to have it.I have it in a word doc., and will send it (free of charge ;) ) to anyone who send me a PM or e-mail with their addy of choice.

I have it in a word doc., and will send it (free of charge  :happyroll:  ) to anyone who send me a PM or e-mail with their addy of choice.
I'll send a email shortly...homer_02.jpg