Calling All Cooks!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus
NEVER EVER PICK UP BRATWURST WITH A FORK OR ANY OTHER OBJECT/TOOL/IMPLEMENT THAT COULD POSSIBLY PIERCE THE OUTER SKIN .
EXCELLENT point, George!I just kinda took that for granted, as it is a Mortal Sin to begin with! :D B) B)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

• lewmur

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah!, Yes...Just lots of "Tasty Bits" thrown together with a binder to keep them in place when sliced.  But wait!!...That's almost the same description for Scrapple!! :P  :hmm:
Don't know. I've only had scrapple once. Came out of a can and was fried. Can you eat scrapple on a Ritz cracker with a dash of Tobasco?

Guest Paracelsus
Don't know.  I've only had scrapple once.  Came out of a can and was fried. Can you eat scrapple on a Ritz cracker with a dash of Tobasco?
YIKES!!!I have no idea what that was... But I can assure you it was not Scrapple. Sounds more like Spam (the original, I mean), or some other canned meat.Scrapple would never come in a can, to my knowledge. And if it did...I wouldn't eat it. :thumbsdown: But then...I'm a Scrapple devotée. It has to be homemade, or Habbersett.I suppose one could eat Scrapple uncooked, since the meat in it has already been cooked. But I don't think it would taste nearly as good as when slow fried. (See some of the earlier posts in this thread). Once done, I bet it would go nicely on a Ritz with Tabasco. After all..."Everything's Better When it Sits on a Ritz" :whistling: Tabasco is alway good, likewise. About one the few things I make that doesn't have at least a dash (usually more) of Tabasco (I'm currently partial to the Green Pepper Sauce) is Ice Cream.

l..."Everything's Better When it Sits on a Ritz" :thumbsdown:  Tabasco is alway good, likewise.  About one the few things I make that doesn't have at least a dash (usually more) of Tabasco (I'm currently partial to the Green Pepper Sauce) is Ice Cream.
What have you got against Ice Cream?

Here's the greatest recipe ever for Crabmeat Au Gratin'First load your crab nets and 'melt into your Lafite Skiff and hook your skff to your pickup. Drive to the Bonnabel boat launch on Lake Pontchartrain and proceed to catch a bushel or so of crabs. Be sure to throw back any crabs where the shell is smaller than your hand.As soon as you get back home, call a bunch of people over for a crab picking party. (Be sure to tell them to bring their own beer. You're just providing the crabs.)Get out your Zatarain's crab-boil and your big crab pot and proceed to boil all of the crabs. Then it's time for the picking party to begin. The thing about a picking party is that the guest get to all of the crab *EXCEPT FOR THE BACKFIN CLAW MEET.* That gets reserved for the Au Gratin.As soon as your hangover from the picking partly clears, you can proceed with the rest of the dish.Rest of the dish:Roast one large red bell pepper under the broiler. (Why they call this roasting instead of broiling is the subject of another post.) Peel and chop the pepper.Finely chop 'half-a-bunch of green onions.Open the carton of chopped mushrooms you already bought.Shread a cup of mild cheddar cheese, one of Swiss and a half of Parmasean and mix them in a plastic bag.Make a cup of breadcrumbs from that stale po-boy bread you have hangin round.In your largest skillet (wrought-iron I hope) melt 1/3 of a stick of butter in 3 Tbls of EVOO. Saute the green onions until you can see through the white part. Season liberally (who says I'm a diehard conservative?) with Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.Add 3 heaping Tbls of flour and make a *light* reaux. Stir in the right amount of half&half milk to get just the creamy texture you want. Remember, the sauce isn't completely thickened until it starts to simmer. Next, add the mushrooms, red bell pepper and the *gently* fold in the lump crabmeat.Fill as many small bowls as you can, leaving enough room to cover with a layer of shredded cheese and a dusting of breadcrumbs.If you are like me, you will have forgotten to turn off the broiler so it is already pre-heated. Put some plates in the bottom of the oven to heat.If you have heavy stoneware bowls, you can skip placing the bowls in a water bath and put them directly under the broiler till the cheese melts and the crumbs are toasty.At this point you are ready to serve. Use your asbestos fingers to place the plates over the bowls, invert and remove the bowls so that the cheese is covered by the hot sauce and stays melted. (At least for a little while.)Sit back and enjoy!!!

YIKES!!!I have no idea what that was... But I can assure you it was not Scrapple.
Maybe canned corned beef hash??? Hehe I hate to admit it, but I still eat the stuff...what the wife affectionately calls ALPO. ;)LEWMUR That sounds recipe heavenly.Question?? how do you guys deal with a crab that escapes and makes a run for it by hiding under the couch? B)

Maybe canned corned beef hash??? Hehe I hate to admit it, but I still eat the stuff...what the wife affectionately calls ALPO. ;)LEWMUR That sounds recipe heavenly.Question?? how do you guys deal with a crab that escapes and makes a run for it by hiding under the couch? B)
My grandkids love pets. What's the problem?

YIKES!!!I have no idea what that was... But I can assure you it was not Scrapple.  Sounds more like Spam (the original, I mean), or some other canned meat.Scrapple would never come in a can, to my knowledge.  And if it did...I wouldn't eat it. ;)
You have to realize that this was part of the "larder" on a long-distance sailboat race. If it didn't come in a can, it wasn't onboard.

Guest Paracelsus
Here's the greatest recipe ever for Crabmeat Au Gratin'Sit back and enjoy!!!
So, when's the party, lewmur!! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey-Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! That sounds, Much More Better Than Good!!Temmu lives in your neck o' the woods. And I'm only a long day's drive away ;) :P
You have to realize that this was part of the "larder" on a long-distance sailboat race. If it didn't come in a can, it wasn't onboard.
That's different. You're forgiven. Haven't been long distance sailing... But I have Backpacked. Sometimes....Compromises are acceptable :(

Guest Paracelsus

I've had Haggis twice. Really quite excellent... and it's another delicacy with more than a bit of debate (in Scotland,anyway) over what constitutes "proper" ingredients. However...All can agree that the best part of the tradition is a liberal christening with a good (single malt for me, please) Scotch upon "The Cutting" :(

Sorry to jump in so late but you may have heard that a hurricane knocked out electricity in S. Florida for a few days (I'm in Palm Beach County).Anyway, this is one of my favorites. Hot Fudge Pudding Cake. With all that chocolate and sugar you can't possibly go wrong. (Make sure you DIVIDE the ingredients, though.)

Thanks georgeg4, it's nice to be back.I thought I'd look for foods that don't need refrigeration.There's not much more that Ivan can do to us because Frances already knocked down every tree in the county. Palm Beach County is 50 miles north of Miami. You have Dade County, which is Miami. North of that is Broward County, which is Ft. Lauderdale. Just north of that is Palm Beach County, which is Boca Raton, Palm Beach and West Palm Beach.(I didn't intentionally overlook you, NRD, you just posted as I was writing mine. Hope you enjoy the Hot Fudge Pudding Cake.)

Guest Paracelsus
Paracelsusi hate to burst your bubble buddy but scrapple (and Habberset was the very brand ) that did in fact come in a 5 pound tin years ago . I have had many breakfasts with Habberset on the home made bread that was baked in that very same tin that the scrapple came in.
OK, George...You've piqued my curiosity.:wacko: But I'll need to see it to believe it. Please define, "Years Ago". Our family ate nothing but Habbersett... and at least from my earliest memories (©1957) it was always in waxed paper type wrapping. Of course, we always bought if from the refrigerated case at the grocery store, and I wasn't the one doing the shopping, then. :PI may have to do some Googling on Scrapple and Habbersett history and see if I can find a picture of this.

Guest Paracelsus

Hey George... No Problem. We all have our moments :PI took a look and by golly, you're right!! I had no idea Dietz & Watson made Scrapple. As a matter of fact... I always thought they were a strictly Kosher brand :">So, now it's my turn to apologize to lewmur... who was correct about having Scrapple from a can.

Hey George... No Problem.  We all have our moments :PI took a look and by golly, you're right!!  I had no idea Dietz & Watson made Scrapple.  As a matter of fact... I always thought they were a strictly Kosher brand :">So, now it's my turn to apologize to lewmur... who was correct about having Scrapple from a can.
Dietz & Watson also carries a brand of pork & beef hot dogs. Perhaps they started as a Kosher company???I've never seen the scrapple in a tin either. Learn something new every day! Our local supermarket carries about three brands of scrapple but the only one I touch is Habberset. Not the beef variety either! Make mine pork!Since we're on a breakfast kick...How about creamed chip beef on toast. Comonly known as !@#$ on a shingle. My favorite brand is Knauss dried beef, sauted in butter before making the roux & adding the milk to boil slowly. mmmmOr Taylor pork roll breakfast sandwiches. :ph34r: B)

Guest Paracelsus
Dietz & Watson also carries a brand of pork & beef hot dogs.  Perhaps they started as a Kosher company???
No Idea, NRD.I'm not familiar with their products, actually. Recall hearing the name (especially when I lived on the East Coast). I may be confusing D&W with some other "x&x" that is solely Kosher.
Not the beef variety either! Make mine pork!
Beef Scrapple!!! EEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!:ph34r: ;) B) May as well have Pork flavored Turkey Scrapple :P
Since we're on a breakfast kick...How about creamed chip beef on toast. Commonly known as !@#$ on a shingle.
Love it!! But that was Dinner for us, way back when.... When James & Eileen had eight hungry mouths to feed... And James was a "Country Lawyer" in Indiana, PA. Made most of his yearly income doing tax work for the few local business owners.Thank goodness we all loved Creamed Chip Beef on Toast. Easy and cheap for Eileen to fix.We pretty much grew up on that... and Beans & Franks. Which I also never got tired of. :P

Guest Paracelsus
We are talking haute cuisine here!
Since when, Juwie?? :P ;)Allow me to quote from the introductory Post....
This is a general... take as many wild tangents as you like... thread about:
So??....We're having a Wild Tangent :devil:I left plenty of leeway in this Thread :thumbsup:Nothing, food related, is actually :blink: :clap:

Here's another one of my CHOCOLATE favorites. It was originally in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook but BHG doesn't use it anymore because they are wimps and afraid of people suing them over salmonella. I have made this at least 10 times and never gotten sick from salmonella. But, use fresh eggs and use the recipe at your own peril (I don't want to be sued either).Have you ever had chocolate mousse? This is about 10 times sweeter!FRENCH SILK PIE1 cup sugar3/4 cup butter (not margarine)3 squares (3 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled *1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla3 (raw) eggs1 9 inch pastry shell (I use store bought graham cracker crust)Whipped cream (optional)Chocolate curls (optional)In a small mixer bowl cream sugar and butter about 4 minutes or till fluffy. Stir in cooled chocolate* and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed, unti thoroughly mixed and fluffy. Turn into pastry shell. IMPORTANT - Chill several hours, but overnight is better.* See my next post for a better and cheaper chocolate substitute.

The Chocolate SubstituteAs a chocoholic I find many recipes call for unsweetened chocolate squares. Who the heck keeps unsweetened chocolate squares around?This substitute has worked better than unsweetened chocolate squares every time I have tried it. You don't have to buy chocolate squares and have half of them left over and you don't have to go to the trouble of melting chocolate.For 1 square (1 ounce) of unsweetened chocolate substitute:3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (your general off the shelf Hershey's Cocoa Powder) and1 tablespoon butter

Ewwww! SOS and bean and wieners.  We are talking haute cuisine here!  At least it is not more scrapple talk.  I would prefer Scrabble talk! :clap:
Haute cuisine??? :blink: Over sauced efette snobbery in my opinion. I much prefer provencal dishes. There is nothing like digging into some good old fashioned "comfort food" like Scrapple, SOS, Chilli etc. Now about chili....beans or no? I know proper Chilli is made without beans, but I love adding them....along with a bottle of beer in the mix

Who the heck keeps unsweetened chocolate squares around?
HEHE...That would be me. :blink: I currently have two packages of the stuff.WebbPA I'm going to try that Silk Pie recipe on Monday. I'm trying to empty the larder before hitting the diet trail :clap:

I figure any moron can cook a basic chicken or veal parm or marsala, a few basic breads, some sauces, etc., so I'm going to go with a little more esoteric, but not bizarre.I live in S. Florida and I'm outside a lot. I used to take a big jug of water to the golf course because they don't supply enough watering holes on the course. I don't mean beer girls, because there are always plenty of them, but I got tired of paying $2 or so for a can of Gatorade on the course and I think they are about $2 a quart at the grocery store.I did a lot of research and came up with a Gatorade substitute that will cost you about $0.35 for 2 quarts - the vast majority of that is the $0.20 for the Kool Aid.Gatorade (2 quarts)2 quarts water (duh)1 package unsweetened Kool Aid - or other soft drink powder - I'm partial to lemonade flavor but orange isn't bad1/2 cup sugar - you can, of course, vary this, but after researching it I found that this is the precise amount of sugar in real Gatorade3/4 teaspoons Morton Lite Salt - here's the potassium that Gatorade touts so highly. This is basically 1/2 sodium chloride (basic table salt, which you need if you perspire) and 1/2 potassium choloride. At this ratio, $1 will make about 100 gallons of Gatorade. Of course, you could substitute another similar product.If you have kids they will probably still whine for Real Coke but if you're going outdoors in the summer this makes it.

Great stuff NRD i love SOS also and my wife along with quite a few others i am sure also makes it as sausage gravy for pancakes and another great variety is hamburger gravy which is my personal favorite .
sausage gravy on pancakes? Now that is a new one for me. Man I wish tomorrow was Sunday, hehe I'd love to try that.....Weekends are the only time I actually make a real breakfast.

Is that the Gatorade? If you're going to drink it over ice you probably need to adjust it (just like real Gatorade - I would wager that football teams use the powdered version and allow for ice dilution) I just make in a 2 qt thermos.. Also note that the lite salt is going to make it taste just as bad as the real thing.

I am going to have to show my husband the gatorade recipe. We buy gatorade in the tubs of powdered mix. I am not sure this would be any cheaper but it is interesting. Before long runs I sometimes have to make the gatorade run and go out and place gatorade and water along the route so they have something to drink every few miles. I should buy stock in gatorade we buy so much of it. B) Speaking of breakfast for supper, my hubby makes killer omelets when he is too "lazy" to cook. B) I'll take one of those any day. I just try to convince him that I really don't need 3 eggs every time.

Speaking of breakfast for supper, my hubby makes killer omelets when he is too "lazy" to cook. B)  I'll take one of those any day.  I just try to convince him that I really don't need 3 eggs every time.
I like to make "refrigerator omelets." Whatevers is in the refrigerator goes into the omelet. Good way to get rid of "leftovers" before they spoil!

Guest Paracelsus

That sounds good, George!The thing I like about leftovers is that they always seem to taste better. Probably because all the flavours and seasonings have had time to blend together. Like home-made Tomato Sauce... the following week :thumbsup:My favorite for all kinds of leftovers is a Frittata :thumbsup: ...Which is kind of like a quiche, without the crust.

Now about chili....beans or no?
I'll have a few words about Chili later :D