Recommendations for Disk Defrag

KCDoug

No, those aren't what I mean.  There are a large number of these typoe of things out there.The value for this technology is specifically in a defragger where you want to try to figure out why something wasn't moved.  Therefore, it has to be part of the defragger.
O&O Defrag does what you want I think. With it you can click on a square and it will tell you what file is in that cluster. It also color codes different filetypes, like brown for pagefile, dark brown for exclusively locked and so on.What i like with O&O is that you can choose what type of defrag you want to perform, like complete name, complete access, complete modified and more. you can find it here:http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.htmlthe downside is that it is expensive, sadlythe next question is then is there really any point in tweaking our pc anymore? Cleaning out junk in the registry, compacting the regystry and so on, it often takes more time than it saves. And having alot of "helper" programs on the pc slows it down 2, so what 2 do :thumbsup:

The whole point of defragging files is to get your files in contigeous form.
One would think. But as you noted some utilities have different priorities.Win XP's defrag does exactly that, it makes all files contiguous. If you then run Norton's Speed Disk it will move less frequently accessed file to the end of the drive and files that are frequently modified to the middle followed by free space. It also does this without regard for file fragmentation which I totally don't understand.I have run Windows' Defrag, viewed the report and found it showing no fragmented files, then run Speed Disk followed by Window's Defrag's Analyze step only to find what I consider many files in many pieces some as many as over 100 pieces. The latter is usually Mozilla's REGISTRY.DAT file so it's not something seldom used. Why Speed Disk does this I don't understand. :) :wacko:

Here is what I use .DIRMS & BUZZSAW Freeware Defragmentation Programs for Windows NT4, NT2000 and XP . Both programs support the FAT, FAT32, and NTFS file systems.http://www.dirms.com/http://www.dlugosz.com/tools/dirms/index.htmlhttp://download.com.com/3000-2094-10198524.html?tag=lst-0-2http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10198524.html?tag=lst-0-15http://www.darkscenario.de/modules.php?nam...download&cid=24http://www.reg4down.com/20/software_3002-2094-10198524.htmlDefragment HD with several passages of DIRMS and then put BUZZSAW in the Startup , which defragments HD continuosly , on the fly!!DIRMS defragments ALL files .BUZZSAW defragments only files been modified after DIRMS..

No, those aren't what I mean.  There are a large number of these typoe of things out there.The value for this technology is specifically in a defragger where you want to try to figure out why something wasn't moved.  Therefore, it has to be part of the defragger.
Ha! Looky what I found. Not part of a defragger, but you can get a similar map and see the name of what hasn't been moved.
DiskViewDiskView shows you a graphical map of your disk, allowing you to determine where a file is located or, by clicking on a cluster, seeing which file occupies it. Double-click to get more information about a file to which a cluster is allocated. Diskview works on Windows NT 4, 2000, XP and Server 2003. Page LinkDirect Download Link
Edited by GolfProRM - reason: added page link, and changed link label to download link Edited by GolfProRM

Guest Paracelsus

Looks like an interesting find, IBE98765. Just one thing...Would you mind changing the link to the WebPage for this app.Currently, it initiates a download (at least on the two systems I use). Some Highlanders may be uncomfortable with that.EDIT - Thanks, Ryan. While I understand that no longtime Highlander would ever link to anything even remotely suspicious...I think most people still prefer to look at an app's WebPage before downloading.

James M. Fisher
Ahhhhhhhhhhh...Has anyone noticed that the links no longer function?? :thumbsdown:
Which ones? The ones immediately above work fine for me....

• 2 weeks later...

The comment from Greg at Raxco regarding Diskeeper contains much false information. Of course, companies can't be expected to necessarily post the truth about their competitors. One thing I can say, however, is that I have never seen Executive Software post anything on their web site or in forums about Raxco, but I have seen misinformation about Executive Software coming from Raxco. Last year when researching defragmenters, I even noticed intentionally hidden text on Raxco's site which was for the sole purpose of getting their web site to show up when people search for "diskeeper" (this is dirty marketing tactics). That at least tells me something about their level of professionalism, in my opinion. This was one of the reasons I ended up going with Diskeeper, and I've been happy with the product.

• 4 weeks later...

Hidefragging works best with the folowing free tools :streams dirmscontig-----My systems where busy for days now, as I tried to defrag them.I used various software but for some reason they couldn't do the job.Yesterday i found at least one reason, that is ntfs data streams.It is a extra hidden collection of data and a special future of ntfs.(they are explained here : winnetmag about data streamsfor example O & O defrag :blink: can't do anything with them (so they keep scattered on your disk, and thus don't allow other files to defragment.At sysinternals I found a new util it's called: streams :) With it you can delete streams (as i'm not sure if they might be useful also i only went to data dir's and program dirs. Keep in mind that any disk itself uses also such hidden dirs with streams those are for the OS itself).Then I used a tool i read about here it is called: dirms :w00t: I noticed it is good in making large free space on disk.The defrag method is nice but not that good as...Wel for the defrag itself i use: contig :w00t: It is also from www.sysinternal.comContig can do nice things for example you can defragment only *.dat or *.mp3 etcYou can work in a directory only or do the entire disk if you stand in the root.Or you can defragment only one file. Or report fragmentation onlyYesterday i first deleted the streams (although i think contig can handle them)Then i made a small batch file so for each disk, and let it run for the night.----------------------------d:dirms d movecontig -v -s *.*dirms d movecontig -v -s *.*dirms d movecontig -v -s *.*e:dirms e movecontig -v -s *.*dirms e movecontig -v -s *.*dirms e movecontig -v -s *.*H:dirms h movecontig -v -s *.*dirms h movecontig -v -s *.*dirms h movecontig -v -s *.*k:dirms k movecontig -v -s *.*dirms k movecontig -v -s *.*dirms k movecontig -v -s *.*---------------------------- :P Now finaly this made a disk without fragmentation.* note at sysinternals they had also another tool to manualy move files over clusters but i forget it's name

My systems where  busy for days now, as I tried to defrag them.I used various software but for some reason they couldn't do the job.Yesterday i found at least one reason, that is ntfs data streams.It is a extra hidden collection of data and a special future of ntfs.
I believe commercial defrag software handles these streams. BUT, you have to run an OFFLINE (i.e. outside of Windows) defrag).btw: Those NTFS streams are interesting. You can actually hide data in them that most people would not be able to find.

• 4 months later...
I'm with quint . VoptXP does the job quickly (around 30% of the time builtin defrag takes), efficiently and safely. It also has some utilities such as pagefile optimizer and temp file cleaner that help prepare for better defragging.
ok, but it doesn't do this:
...If you then run Norton's Speed Disk it will move less frequently accessed file to the end of the drive and files that are frequently modified to the middle followed by free space.
... Some of these apps try to move files around in an attempt to speed up access but the real purpose is to diminish your HD heads flying all over **** and back trying to locate bits of files. The less head activity... the faster your files will be accessed.
i wanna put the pagefile at the start, then a particular folder (or set of files), then the rest of the data on the drive, then free spacenorton speeddisk 2001 was able to do this, but after not having it installed for a while, then updating to SP2 on XP, it will NOT run
norton speed disk service will cause windows to become unstable. windows has prevented these drivers from loading

there is no fix, and there's just about no mention of NSD 2001 on symantec's websitea shame really as i considered that the only worthy thing they had ever or will ever producei tried O&O and diskeeper - both stinkperfect disk seems to do a good job, but it lacks that specific feature to put files where i want on the drive like NSD2001 didneither of the 3 allow me to see what file(s) is taking up a blockthat's not hugely important, but it would be a nice feature as right now there's a large set of red (frequently modified) blocks that perfectdisk shows me right in the middle of the drive but won't tell me what they are (probably pagefile)any other reccomendations?