windows vista won't load on start-up

sviddy

I got a Gateway model GT5404 dual core 32bit 2.8ghz processor with 2gig of memory.On start-up get a message "du to recent hardware,software changes unspecified changes to configuration files may have cause problem.Tried startup repair option.It failed.I went to advanced options. System recovery options .I tried system restore,It failed due to unspecified error.System cannot find file (Ox80070002).Tried other restore points but it just ran for 3 hours liked it timed out.Tried command prompt typed chkdsk/r.Volume in use check system on restart( Enterd Y) was responce,but on restart It never happened.It went back to repair option for start up .In the gateway recovery There is a option 1.Recovery with automatic data backup. 2.Full factory restore

How can I get Visa home premium to load without losing all my programs installed and with over 300 updates installed?

Prior to this I downloaded 3 Windows updates.on restart this started.There is a hidden drive d for restore .i got 3 recovey dics d

Hello,

Given that the Gateway GT5404 is now about nine years old, it is possible you are dealing with a hardware failure, such as a CMOS/RTC backup batter that has failed, or a hard disk drive error of some sort (possible if the machine is still using its original hard disk drive).

For the former, I would suggest replacing the battery, then going into the BIOS settings and making sure the date and time are set correctly. Most default BIOS settings should be correct, but you may have to try toggling the setting controlling how the hard disk drive is recognized between various settings to see what works correctly (these could be labeled "Legacy", "IDE", "AHCI", "RAID" and so forth).

If it is the hard disk drive, then I would recommend replacing it with a new one, installing Microsoft Windows Vista to that, and once you finish getting it updated and configured the way you like it, attaching the old hard disk drive as a secondary device and copying the data from it to the new hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yes, could be hardware failure now; or had hardware failure and hardware replacement that would require a totally new install of Retail Windows 7 since the recovery partition doesn't seem to like the hardware at all.

I tried last configuration,not successfull,it just timed out.I checked the status of the battery with a multimeter. The battery is good putting out 3.07 volts.I changed it a few years ago..I am going to take harddrive out and put it in a second computer as a secondary drive.Then I'm going to run sfc/scannow ,chkdsk/r on it from my good computer.Before i do that I downloaded western digital diagnostics 1.28and run that on it to check condition of drive..If its bad I'll get a new hd ,install old system vista onit then upgrade to win7.A new hard drive has to be formatted and partioned.I'm not sure how to do that so I may be back for that info.I never did try a factory restore or a restore with saved data from Gateway recovery consol.I want to save any data from old drive to my newer computer first.Then restore if drive is good, that's an option I'll try first If I get a new hd . Don't I have to get a hd to match ports speed on motherboard? I mean you can't replace a sata2 with a sata3 drive? How big a hd do I need to install win7 on it?

I got a Gateway model GT5404 dual core 32bit 2.8ghz processor with 2gig of memory.On start-up get a message "du to recent hardware,software changes unspecified changes to configuration files may have cause problem.Tried startup repair option.It failed.I went to advanced options. System recovery options .I tried system restore,It failed due to unspecified error.System cannot find file (Ox80070002).Tried other restore points but it just ran for 3 hours liked it timed out.Tried command prompt typed chkdsk/r.Volume in use check system on restart( Enterd Y) was responce,but on restart It never happened.It went back to repair option for start up .In the gateway recovery There is a option 1.Recovery with automatic data backup. 2.Full factory restore

How can I get Visa home premium to load without losing all my programs installed and with over 300 updates installed?

Prior to this I downloaded 3 Windows updates.on restart this started.There is a hidden drive d for restore .i got 3 recovey dics d

Sounds to me like you are just out of luck. That's why people do full image backups. If you had a clonezilla image of the C: drive, you could boot from the clonezilla CD and restore the image.

Sounds like your only option now is to do a fresh install of Vista or upgrade to Win 7.

edit: Actually there is one other thing you could try first. If you have access to another computer, download a Linux LiveCD and use its HDD checking software to check the HDD.

Edited by lewmur

Hello,

If there is any valuable data on the hard disk drive, first back it up after connecting it to the other PC before you start running diagnostics and then trying to repair it.

The recovery media will handle the partitioning and formatting of a blank hard disk drive for you, so there's nothing you need to do beyond making sure the computer can boot from its DVD drive to launch the recovery media.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1