Vive La Linux Dolce

Peachy

What do you do with your Linux Box?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, currently at home I have Red Hat 7.3 Linux installed on one box to test some network security apps like Nessus and Cheops and to try out Samba. I have Red Hat 8.0 Linux on my XOSL multiboot play toy. I've used this to learn how to install the Promise RAID drivers during the install process and to test my ability to compile Apache 2.0.45, MySQL 3.23.56 and PHP 4.3.1 and get them to work together. I have Red Hat 9 Linux triple booting with Windows XP and Windows 98SE on my daughter's computer. I'm using that to see how that works as a general workstation. I've installed Phoenix/Firebird for web browsing, Evolution for email, and Quake III Arena for recreation. When I have time I will see how easy it is to play DVDs and listen to MP3 files.Things I plan to do:Set up NIS to learn about ldap/authenticationTest its ability as a Windows file server using Samba/NFSBuild a secure e-commerce serverLearn how iptables work and set it up as router. Might use one of those floppy-based Linux router projects

I just added SuSE 8.2 as a dual boot on my home Win98 PC. I'm just playing around with it, to see what it's all about. So far, so good.

Nice poll Peachy !I run 4 distro´s: Mandrake, Debian, Slackware and VectorLinux.The first 3 on my main box and the last on an older computer.The main drive is learning about Linux.I am no gamer, do not play any computer game ! Actually learning Linux is the only ¨computer game¨ I play, and it is just as addictive as ¨other¨ games.As I see someone gaming on his/her computer, I think that I would never be able to learn to play, it looks so complicated.I guess it depends where you get your kicks. I´m sure if people would put in as much effort in learning Linux as they do in their gaming, they´d all be wizards !:lol: Bruno

I am no gamer, do not play any computer game !  Actually learning Linux is the only ¨computer game¨ I play, and it is just as addictive as ¨other¨ games.
You know what Bruno, I would have to agree with that. I play less games now that I play around with Linux. When I wasn't playing around with Linux the past couple of years I was playing with games. Think about it, getting Linux to install without a problem is similiar to reaching the end of a game. If it fails, you start over! :lol:

I voted workstation even tho I do dual boot I am using Linux part as the main desktop. It use to be Windows was main and messing around with Linux here and there, but the reverse has happened. Now I use Windows for messing around in here and there. Looking at trying Wine for a few applications so I can even stay further from Windows.

I voted option "1" . Have only one distro RedHat 9.... May switch to BSD later this yr. System is used to compile progs, forensics, security tools, seeing how root-kits work, PHP development etc etc :lol:

twistedcranium

Hey all!I answered the poll with ... "Dual boot with Windows - comparing the two" although I am actually looking toward making it ..."It's my main work/home machine - I do everything with it" I still have a few apps that I need to find a comfy linux equivalent for and then I'm there. (I saw in another thread here that someone posted a link to an app table comparing the windows apps with their linux equivalents....just sweet, I'll be fully linux in no time if I keep hanging out at these forums).

:P I use SuSE8.0 and will probably upgrade to 8.2 soon. I use it the same as a Window's machine, what I do on Windows I can also do on Linux. At the moment I'm trying to teach myself programming for both Linux and Windows.Joy

I'm a dual-booter currently... I'm a relative Linux newbie, but I'm learning quite a bit and now that I've got a free week, I'm going to hit it hard and get myself so I only need to boot into Windows once a week or so :P

nlinecomputers

MISSING OPTION!I SELL IT! You insensitive clod! :) (Old slashdot joke. I miss Cowboy Neal in the slahsdot polls.)I have a linux server running mandrake 9.1 and did dual boot with my windows XP box into Red Hat 8 but I was having XP problems and nuked the drive as an emergency backup. Linux is fun to play with but it isn't quite up to par for me as a desktop. Gotta have Office and Quickbooks and my games and fonts that don't make my tired old eyes hurt. Now as a server...Warp Speed! I run Samba, MySQL, and Apache all off of a little old 500mhz Celeron. The MySQL database holds my records of service tickets using a PHP driven webpage. Sweet and cheep. :)

nlinecomputers
I am no gamer, do not play any computer game !  Actually learning Linux is the only ¨computer game¨ I play, and it is just as addictive as ¨other¨ games.
You know what Bruno, I would have to agree with that. I play less games now that I play around with Linux. When I wasn't playing around with Linux the past couple of years I was playing with games. Think about it, getting Linux to install without a problem is similiar to reaching the end of a game. If it fails, you start over! :)
Note only that. But I get "KILLED" frequently. Linux wins every game. 'Course so does Windows and I think it cheats. :)

Neither was there one for trying to install! Actually, I hope to dual boot for a while. My goal is to learn as much as I can before someone says "hey, you are teaching this next semester, week, whatever." :PIt is hard to stay on your toes and know what is going on when you teach computers. It is always changing. :) I am looking forward to gettting my education here this summer.

Guest LilBambi

As you may have noted in other threads, we have 11 computers throughout the house and porch networked and running various versions of Linux, freeBSD and Windows.My two main computers are currently Win98se and RedHat Linux 7.2 and I switch between them with a KVM switch.

OMG I think I just found what I want to use for an image to cut out on the side of my case - Tux! Do an outline of Tux and cut that out than take plexi-glass and paint a Tux on it the same size of the outline and mount it behind in line with the cut out. Than add a light inside to make Tux glow. Cool Idea or what?

Yea I can do - not sure when I will get to it - got to get other things done first, but I will pluck away at it and get it.

Hey Everyone..Just found this form..rather new to being serious about linux, Been playing with it for over a year. running 5 dual boots on mix Eth/PNA network. Mixed bag of mandrake, redhat, Suse, Debian and whatever distro I want to see if I can load and make work with w2k , XP home and Pro) Anyway I like linux alot.and I've configured on everything from a 166 Packard Bell to a 2Ghz HP .but I use all the systems to try different network configs.serers combos .and just learn.the systems..(umm break..learn more!!..you know what I mean..) B)

Welcome to the forum BarryB !Glad you´re enjoying Linux as we all do here !Hope to see more posts of you.B) Bruno

Hey Everyone..Just found this form..rather new to being serious about linux, Been playing with it for over a year. running 5 dual boots on mix Eth/PNA network. Mixed bag of mandrake, redhat, Suse, Debian  and whatever distro I want to see if I can load and make work with
Welcome aboard, Master Chief. Love your avatar, just take one star off and I can use it. B) Bruno, I ordered Suse 8.2 today to dual boot on another PC with 30 GB free on the c drive. I'm trying as many distros as I can to understand what everyone is talking about. B) ken

Thanks BrunoI do enjoy Linux...Now if I just remember to put my / the right way LOL! Linux , so far hasn't been that difficult..and the more I move pass the KDE/GNOME GUI and learn how to use the commands the more fun I'm having with it. But with any change it (being Linux) just takes me out of what I know..But hey, change is good!!

Welcome aboard, sailor!You will find the denizens of this ice floe pretty fun to hang out with. Hope we can enjoy your company. B)

• 3 weeks later...

I had to go back and look at this thread. It took me a while to find it. Gee, when did a few weeks become a long time ago? :( Way back around May 12 I said I started looking at Linux because I figured I would be asked to teach it someday.Guess what????? Yesterday I got a call asking if I would do an independent study for two students on Linux for a semester! :( :( That gave me a good laugh. I came up with a politically correct answer to say "Not yet". I figured I need to know just a little bit more before I start trying to teach it. To top all that off, can you even hook a Linux machine up to a Novell network? I don't think I am ready to try that one yet!_________________________________Had my laugh for the day :(

Wow Julia,That's great. You know you can do it. You have all summer to learn. As to NetWare, I don't know off hand if there is a Linux Novell client yet, but, Novell is currently working on a Linux kernel that will have Novell NDS compiled into it. Basically, native NetWare on a Linux server. When that happens then they are sure to release a Linux client. However, Linux can operate in a NetWare network to the extent that it can get an IP address from a NetWare server and participate as a host in a TCP/IP LAN with the ability to get to the Internet. What it won't have is NetWare authentication to NetWare file shares and direct server access.

PeachyI could teach Linux if I had to. North Carolina has this funny thing where you can only teach classes off the state list of classes if you are a "vocational" teacher. That keeps me from teaching most of what I would like to teach, and back doing things their way only! It was suggested I tie it in with the "Networking" class but I know I don't know enough about Novel and networking to do that one. I would be happy just to get my three machines at home to share printers, scanners, etc. I know, I need to go back to the network forum and do some homework. That is in the stack of printed pages for this summer! :rolleyes:

Guess what????? Yesterday I got a call asking if I would do an independent study for two students on Linux for a semester! :P  :rolleyes:
How much does it pay Julia ? We´ll do it together, get those students a Linux piercing and a Mandrake tattoo on both their arms and lower backside !;) Bruno