i think some people have too much time on their hands

crp

securitybreach

And it was fixed the same day it was announced. At least this article didn't claim that linux was hacked as others did. This simply bypassed the grub bootloader if you set up a password on it.

:)

• Like 1

securitybreach

yup.

windows, likewise.

Yeah that was my response to a few articles.. If you dual boot with windows, I guess windows is hacked as well? :hysterical:

• Like 1

And it was fixed the same day it was announced. At least this article didn't claim that linux was hacked as others did. This simply bypassed the grub bootloader if you set up a password on it.

My grub isn't password protected anyway, but I don't recall having seen a grub patch come through for Mint 17.3.
  • Like 1

Hello,

I suspect it was more eyeballing the code than taking the "monkeys at the typewriter" approach.

It does point out that physical security is important. If someone can gain physical access to a computer, they can usually find a way to perturb it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

securitybreach

My grub isn't password protected anyway, but I don't recall having seen a grub patch come through for Mint 17.3.

I do not know about Mint's update but no distro gives you the option of password protecting your bootloader in the installers. You must manually do this.

Since Mint uses Ubuntu software sources, it looks like it should of been updated: http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2836-1/

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade