[Praise] My sister loves Linux too!

ross549

Howdy all...I am going to have to say it once again.... Linux rocks!I have posted before about how cool ImageMajick is. My sister has fallen in love with it too, but she won't say so. :ermm: She has not done any major work with it, but the ability to resize images with one command line entry (vice a dozen mouse clicks) is really the icing on the cake!I have been starting to play with GIMP, and I have to say it is working great for what I need! One of the recent projects I had to take care of on my site was to update the pictures of my family. Since I used perfectly square pics the last time, I wanted to keep the look. Selecting a square portion of the source image is really simple (hold down shift key while selecting with mouse)! Then, simply copy the selection just made, start a new image (selection dimensions already entered!!), paste, and save the new image. Could it get any simpler? B) :ermm: My sister is registered here under the nick swingkatz... if we PM her enough, she might start posting. She is running into a problem with her scanner, a HP ScanJet 4300C. It worked in PCLos, but she is running Drake 10. it is recognized by HardDrake, but no driver is available. Sane reports no scanner found.

Did she go to the control center and try to check under her hardware to see if she can configure it that way???By the way, my granddaughter has decided she wants to keep linux on this computer when she takes it to college next week. I showed her how to boot into Windows and she has left it in linux. ;)Julia B)

SonicDragon
I showed her how to boot into Windows and she has left it in linux
Showed her how to boot into windows!!?!?! B) You mean you didn't keep her in the dark, forcing her to use Linux? :ermm: :ermm:

Well glad to hear that Ross!Once you can get someone to see linux they are not so much afraid of the word. They see the desktop and go "that is linux?, wow" That is where livecds are sooooo nice, pop one in and say here ya go.I can't get over Gimp 2.0. I used it for the first time the other day and it is a big improvement over the version I was using. Who needs photoshop when you have Gimp.

Showed her how to boot into windows!!?!?!  :hmm: You mean you didn't keep her in the dark, forcing her to use Linux?  :rolleyes: :P
I thought I would be nice. I also left the home page as the forum. Will see how long it takes her. She has been through all the games and has been using Galeon to connect to the Internet. That is the main thing she uses it for now. I also explained that open office docs can be saved as .doc to use in the university system's computer labs.Julia

martinultima

If only my sister would switch to Linux... (and my brother as well) Right now the only thing she seems to understand about it is the penguins :hmm:

You guys (and gals) are so right...once are you able to show folks Linux in action...they decide for themselves pretty quickly..My wife was the same as Adams sister..once she knew she didn't have to be a "Ubber Geek: helped also. She now hardly ever goes into windows (except for some Homeschooling tracking stuff)...She Loves "Her Mandrake" and is learning to keep it up dated, as well as figuring out issues (though she hasn't had any major ones). Sorta cool to watch the changes that are occuring..from what is a OS..to setting IP filters...to yelling at the daughter if she must use windows , use proper precautions...or use linux...She has all the applications she needs(and then some)...and some pretty cool educational packages are available to... :hmm: ...LOL..and to think the reason she was willing to try Linux was the cute penguin :P (Well that and a hubby that slipped Mandrake on her system... :rolleyes: )Also think not knowing OS's helped(at least for her,) because she only had to figure out what she liked and sorta didn't get into the one over the other...and as I guess a side result is she is learning more about Win and Linux..and going with what works for her....amazing how people can decide on their own :hmm: