• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

Hi and thanks to all who have offered advice. Striker, I tried your suggestion and while the ESCD updated on all occasions with/without NIC's - they still did not show in DM or Network Connections.James, as far as I know, I Did Not have any XP services disabled prior to SP2 install. In other words, it was running in its default mode with the Nic's showing in the DM and under Network Connections and I had complete control over them.Marsden11 - I think you are right in that there is some sort of registry issue involved here, can't prove it, but it seems logical. Something in the reg was changed by the SP2 upgrade which has effected the Network Adapters showing up in DM and their disappearance in Network Connections. Today I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and checked the 'Connection keys' for each and looked In the folders for ShowIcon. I made sure they all contained 1 as a setting. They all did, except for my LAN card which I updated to 1 - however, upon rebooting it had made no difference - the DM and NCons still didn't show the NIC's.The process above showed that the cards are in the registry and I know they are working, but SOMETHING is stopping them from appearing in the DM and NCons.I feel like we might be getting closer, I certainly DON'T want to uninstall SP2, so any further help and suggestions from you will be gratefully accepted. I really do appreciate all of you who are offering your expertise to help me out. Thanks Paul

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried trading out the current NIC for another NIC to try to force XP SP2 to look at it?I know, weird, but sometimes that can work.OR if it's an onboard one, adding a second NIC.

Have you tried trading out the current NIC for another NIC to try to force XP SP2 to look at it?I know, weird, but sometimes that can work.OR if it's an onboard one, adding a second NIC.

Not exactly, but I have removed the NIC's rebooted, updating the ESCD and then reinstalling, both NIC's are then active and working, but don't show up in Device Manager or Net Connections...as they are both still working and show up in the MS help & support hardware wizard and AIDA32 I am reticent to make anymore hardware changes as both cards are still working and therefore giving me internet and local network connectivity - if I make a change and lose the connectivity, I am in real trouble. At the moment I have two NIC's which work but I have no way of controlling or accessing them to try driver updates etc. I think the real issue here is that they were working and showing up fine prior to SP2 upgrade, this has somehow made them disappear from DM and Net Cons even though they are functioning properly. I don't know what else to do at this time. I believe it is a registry issue - SP2 changed something/s - but how to remedy it is the question. So please keep on making suggestions or offering advice or fixes, I really do need your help to resolve this. Thanks Paul

My apologies if this has been suggested, but it goes along with my mention of Services above and may not apply in this case: No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open Ithttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;311504

Hi James, Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at it and followed the advice in checking to see whether 'plug and play' was set to automatic on my pc. It is, so that is not causing the issue, but thanks very much for the tip. One of them soon I'm sure will rectify this, I am very hopeful.Thanks againPaul Edited by itzpwh

• 3 weeks later...
davismccarn

SP2 Dissappearing Network Adapters:I just spent almost two weeks helping someone with this problem and I'll bet you will find that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI contains a recursive heap of nonsense folders and, while I am not 100% sure, I think the culprit was a Creative Labs sound card. You will also probably find it impossible to delete these wacky entries because of a permissions problem.Here is how to fix it:First, go here and get a registry backup everyone should have: http://www.computer-help.net/Best-Registry-Backup.html Install it and when it runs, add "-b4-ENUM-fix" to the folder name so we have a backup that won't get overwritten.Second, log in as the system account, run regedit, give permissions to the key, and then delete it.Do Start -> Run -> CMD<enter> ( a command prompt window will appear)In it, type AT xx:xx /INTERACTIVE CMD.EXE<enter> (xx:xx should be the time in 24 hr format, two minutes in the future of your system clock)Wait two minutesA new window should appear with "SVCHOST.EXE" in it's title.In it, type REGEDT32.EXE<enter>The registry editor should appear; but, it will be running as the SYSTEM account.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI, right-click on the PCI and choose Permissions. If it is not there, add the Everyone group, check Allow Full Control box, click the Advanced button, check the box to Replace permission entries on child (yada,yada), then click OK (maybe twice)Now that we have permission, right-click the PCI folder again and delete it. It would also be a good idea to do the same procedure for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\ENUM\PCI which will prevent Windoze from recreating the messed up entries.Exit everything and reboot. You will be inundated with new hardware found and may have some minor problems with drivers if their INF files aren't right; but, it will fix the problem; guaranteed.