XP SP2 Problems/Questions thread

-ct-

James M. Fisher
I installed SP2 From windows update and now it take my machine 5 to 6 mins to log in. I also can no longer see anything under Network Connections although I can connect to the my network and to the internet. I also am not able to remove SP2 from add remove programs. System Restore will also not come up. It gives an error that System Restore can no longer protect my system. Anyone have anything I can try.
That is indeed odd. I can't understand why Uninstall SP2 is not available in Add/Remove Programs. Do you have "Show Updates" checked?It almost sounds as if it didn't install properly or complete installation.... :P Have a look at this KB article for a possible solution:How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

James M. Fisher

An interesting new page by fellow MVP Chris Quirke regarding the installation problems on a PC with an Intel Prescott cpu:XPSP2 vs. Intel's Prescott

However, some users may be in for a nasty shock if they try to install XP Service Pack 2 on a PC that is running an Intel Prescott processor on a motherboard that isn't quite as Prescott-ready as was hoped.  The rest of this page is dedicated to such users, as what they will experience is far more traumatic than a couple of apps that don't work.

well, i fixed the gateway :)ended up having to do a reapir install :(now, what's odd is, that the pc has 512mb ram, a 250gb8mb cache wd hdd, and a 2.8ghx cpuit still took 1 1/2 hr to get it installed!of course, this had to be done from gateway's recovery cd, because i know from experience, that a system such as that will take less than 40 minutes to get from an unformatted hdd to a desktopthenTHEN!!it tells me the system has dual cpus! :D except it didnt' say so BEFORE the sp2 fiasco and the repair install.... :D and, the system is acting quite slowvery odd

Ok I tried Rons solution of using the network install download. It give me the error "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer." That service is set on automatic but why I try to start it manually I get the error "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start" James:SP2 is visible in Add/Remove Programs but it gives me an error when I try to uninstall. It stoppes on the Restoring Catalogs step on the first 5 steps of the uninstall. I have tries the KB solution you linked with the same results as Add/Remove programs.Also I can not get the Windows firewall to come up in the security center. And when I try to start the Windows firewall service manually I get the same 1068 error. Any other Ideas anyone?

Ok I tried Rons solution of using the network install download. It give me the error "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer." That service is set on automatic but why I try to start it manually I get the error "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"
If you go into the Cryptographic service propertie, there's a dependencies tab. Make sure everything listed in the dependencies tab is started. (i'm not on an XP box right now, so I can't tell you what they are).

Under Cryptographics properties the only dependency is RPC. When I try to start that service I get error 5 you do not have access to start this service or something along those lines. An I am logged on to the local machine as administrator so I should have access to everything

Well the more things I try to fix the more things I notice are missing. Rons I tryed that KB article and found that Help and Support will no longer come up. Also the search feature will no longer come up. I also noticed that Automatic Updates is set to never receive updates and is grayed out so I can't change it. So I think now it's come to the point where I'll just pull the vital files off and clone the hard drive from a computer that I haven't installed SP2 on yet.Then I'll try again but I'll start with the network install this time.Thanks everyone for all your help

James M. Fisher

Sounds like the system is so completely hosed, this may be the best option in the long run. It would be nice to know what happened, though!

Yeah I agree thats why I played with it as much as I did. But it was killing to much time when I can clone it and have everything working right again in 10 mins.Hopefully everything will go smoother after I try again.

Hello ! The problem that I have is that when I got the update sp2 and it loaded , I could no longer get onto the internet unless I disabled my firewall on norton internet security 2003. I eventually uninstalled the update So I could keep my norton firewall working. I can tell you I have a bookmaker gen virus in which I can't get rid of but I don't know if this is the problem. I haven't taken my pc in because its running fine even though I would like to get rid of this bookmaker gen virus. If this virus is not my problem with sp2 could it be my settings on my norton. If it is what settings should I change so I can load the update. Thanks very much

James M. Fisher

Well, according to this Symantec FAQ, there should be no problems:http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.htmlYou would have been better off to disable Norton's Firewall than uninstall SP2. Or, disable SP2's firewall, then enable Norton's. Both should not be running at the same time.As for the 'bookmaker gen virus', I was not able to find much, but I did find this thread in anothe web forum where the problem was eventually solved:http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-255515.html

WHen i installed sp2 about 95% done it frooze so when i hit the cleanup button it told me i had to restart for changes to take affect when i did i had sp2 fully installed.

I found this, not sure if it has been posted anywhere (I don't run XP so I don't thoroughly read through all the XP posts)

CALL MICROSOFT IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SP2Microsoft has a toll-free number to use if you have problems withService Pack 2, or any other update. It is: 1-866-727-2338
I hope it is legit because when I checked the area code, it's a Tampa, FL area code. If it's bogus please post so I know not to tell any one to use this number.

CT actually that has to a way that AMD/Intel(or soon intel) will be able to prevent buffer overruns that virus writers like to use to get control of a computer. At this time only the AMD64 chip has this.MikeHerIA62 :happyroll:

James M. Fisher
CT actually that has to a way that AMD/Intel(or soon intel) will be able to prevent buffer overruns that virus writers like to use to get control of a computer. At this time only the AMD64 chip has this.MikeHerIA62 :hmm:
MikeHerIA62: You're referring to D.E.P. I assume?(In such a long and continuing thread as this it's best to quote at least part of the post you are responding too. Thanks!) :happyroll:

Thanx everybody and specially Jason ;)I was getting an error msg at the middle of the installation of sp2. I made a repair installation and worked for me.Thank you, you ppl saved my time :D

i read in eWeek that SP2 installs IIS B) though it says it's installed disabledi had no idea it did this, and i can't recall that IIS was ever there before i did check and IIS is there, but not "installed" (the box isn't checked off)i have absolutley no reason to use IIS on any of my PC's and i'm not entirely sure as to how to /completely/ remove it and it's componentsi suppose i could search google, but this is easier :o

i did check and IIS is there, but not "installed" (the box isn't checked off) B)
Then it's not installed. IIS is a component that is available for installation and has been there since Windows 2000 Professional. XP original has it, too.

Then it's not installed. IIS is a component that is available for installation and has been there since Windows 2000 Professional. XP original has it, too.
i figured as much, i just had never used it and pretty much forgot about it until i read the article and it was brought to my attention :thumbsup: now, as far as the claim that SP2 installs IIS (even though disabled) - can anyone else see if this is true? :hmm:

i figured as much, i just had never used it and pretty much forgot about it until i read the article and it was brought to my attention  :thumbsup: now, as far as the claim that SP2 installs IIS (even though disabled) - can anyone else see if this is true?  :hmm:
I doubt that's true. I didn't have IIS installed pre-SP2 and I still don't have it installed post-SP2. The way to tell is to go to the Control Panel, open up Administrative Tools and look for Internet Information Services Management. If it ain't there then it ain't installed! :hmm:

I agree with Peachy on this. It's the same situation with me. It's still showing as an available component ( post-SP2), but not installed as a result of SP2.

I've skimmed this thread (and copied most of the links for future study) and didn't see this question asked/answered:If I already have a firewall that seems to work, should I disable the SP2 firewall?Thanks,-Doug

James M. Fisher
I've skimmed this thread (and copied most of the links for future study) and didn't see this question asked/answered:If I already have a firewall that seems to work, should I disable the SP2 firewall?Thanks,-Doug
Yup. (Don't forget my SP2 page, Doug!) :o How to configure the Windows Firewall feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2
This article describes how to disable the Windows Firewall. If you turn off Windows Firewall, take appropriate additional steps to help protect your system. We recommend that you turn off Windows Firewall only when you really have to and only after you have explored all options to make your system more secure. Windows Firewall is the updated firewall software in Windows XP Service Pack 2 that replaces Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).