XP SP2 Problems/Questions thread

-ct-

Ok...so install SP2 on two PCs....all works so far EXCEPT when I plug in my Sony Camera...the the camera aquisition wizard starts and then crashes...on both PCs!Anyone else? Am I the only one? Is MS going to fix this...sure hope so..-Michael

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

James M. Fisher
Ok...so install SP2 on two PCs....all works so far EXCEPT when I plug in my Sony Camera...the the camera aquisition wizard starts and then crashes...on both PCs!Anyone else?  Am I the only one?  Is MS going to fix this...sure hope so..-Michael
Thanks for posting this question here, Michael.It may not be Microsoft's problem at all, but Sony's. Do you need to reinstall or update some Sony software for your camera? I have a Fuji camera and it works fine with SP2, but it's detected by Windows once I turn it on; it doesn't require any other drivers to be installed.

I just tested my sony camera, and it works okay using the sony transfer software... I would recommend uninstalling/reinstalling the software.

James M. Fisher

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

MORE INFORMATIONThe programs that are listed in this article may experience issues after you upgrade to Windows XP SP2. You may not notice some of these issues. Additionally, software vendors may have resolved some of these issues. Contact the software manufacturer or vendor for more specific details.You can also search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for specific issues that are related to your program and for the effects of the increased security features that are offered in Windows XP SP2. (Use the WINXPSP2 keyword in your searches.)Many of these issues are related to the introduction of the Windows Firewall feature.

Guest Paracelsus

Thanks for the link, James!!That's a hefty list-o-stuff :oSomewhat amusing to note how many MS products are there :rolleyes:At least they don't discriminate against their own 'ware when it comes to conflicts with SP2 :thumbsup:

James M. Fisher
It shows no CR date at all.
I made a point of watching once when I booted my PC and I noticed the same thing..... :thumbsup:

i haven't had this problem, but i have heard something about itFIX IT HERE------------------If you installed Windows XP SP2, then Microsoft has severly limited the rate at which connections can be made on your computer. Where you used to be able to establish hundreds of connections in a short period of time, you may now only establish connection to 10 peers. Any more than 10 connections in often 10+ seconds (this depends on the latency of the connecting party) will cause new connections to become throttled and eventually denied all together. This has serious damaging effects to eMule+, the eDonkey Network, and P2P as a whole. It means a slower network and eventually fewer search results. It means connections fail more frequently and losing your spot in someone's queue. It also provides a means for disruptive users or music industry thugs to sabotage P2P networks by preventing connection opportunity through SYN attacks.This also effects your web browser and other internet applications. If you ever notice slow browsing, broken images, or ignored page requests while you have eMule running... now you know why!You can tell if this new "speed limit" is effecting you by viewing your System Event messages (Right-Click "My Computer > Manage > System Tools > Event Viewer > System"). You will see yellow-triangle Warning events with "Tcpip" as > theSource. Double-Clicking on one of these events will display the following message." TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. "Micro$oft implimented this feature to slow down the effect of email worms and exploits. They figure people don't need to be making so many connections in such a short timeframe, even though P2P demands it. Yet another tactic to try and curb file trading. There is a fix however. It requires editing your tcpip.sys file, which is located in your c:\windows\system32\drivers\ folder. There may be other tcpip.sys files on your system, but this appears to be the important one. This file is a binary file, and requires a hex editor to make changes.Before making any changes to your system, always backup what you're about to hack.The following instructions are for the Final Release of XP SP2 (build 2180). Other builds may or may not have the same tcpip.sys file. The file should be exactly 359,040 bytes and have a Last Modified time of 8/3/2004 11:14 PM. ItsCRC-32 is 8042A9FB and MD5 is 9F4B36614A0FC234525BA224957DE55C.This fix will remove all tcpip socket creation limitations in Microsoft Windows XP SP2.In your hex editor...First Goto offset 130 (hex) or 304 (decimal)...Replace these 4 bytes of hex data: 6E 12 06 00 With these 4 bytes of hex data: 62 13 06 00Then Goto offset 4F322 (hex) or 324386 (decimal)... *from beginning of file* Replace these 4 bytes of hex data: 0A 00 00 00 With these 4 bytes of hex data: FE FF FF 00If any of the data that you're replacing does not match exactly, double check what you are doing, or abort completely.Once you are confident you applied the correct changes, save the file. You should not experience any write protect issues while saving. If you do, log on as administrator.Reboot.YOU ARE NOW FREE FROM MICROSOFT RULE AND OPPRESSION!

James M. Fisher

For those interested in what -ct- is referring to, here's the explanation of why MS made this change: http://tinyurl.com/3d9qkOn a personal note:I find it interesting (and a little sad) that folks clamor for MS to create a more secure OS, but as soon as they do, a hack like this appears! And for a risky purpose like P2P applications of all things! Oh well... as Lord Nelson would say: "Such things are".

Edited by James M. Fisher

It's sort of like overclocking: some power users always wants to push their OS/hardware to the limit. Another example, Microsoft pulled support for concurrent Remote Desktop sessions (Terminal Services) during the beta of SP2. Well, if you still have the last build of SP2 beta that had the concurrent termsrv.dll file you can overwrite the 2180 version, add the appropriate registry key and you are back in business. Whether there's any security flaw in that beta dll is still to be determined.

After installing SP2, if one decides they don't want automatic updates turned on and do not want to use the new firewall, has anyone figured out how to get rid of the Windows Security Center icon in the task tray and stop the irritating notices that your computer may be in danger?

James M. Fisher
After installing SP2, if one decides they don't want automatic updates turned on and do not want to use the new firewall, has anyone figured out how to get rid of the Windows Security Center icon in the task tray and stop the irritating notices that your computer may be in danger?
Just choose to have AU 'notify' you of any critical updates, but not to download or install them. This will get rid of the red sheild icon.

turn off the service (rightclick my comp., go to manage, then to services, "security senter" is the name of this new thingy)i posted about this earlier :(

James M. Fisher
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2list of known apps borked by SP2worth a read
ct, I posted about this earlier ;)Just to clarify, SP2 may not necessarily 'bork' the apps listed. It may or it may not. The point is, MS is aware of this and has produced this KB article. "The programs that are listed in this article may experience issues after you upgrade to Windows XP SP2. You may not notice some of these issues. Additionally, software vendors may have resolved some of these issues. Contact the software manufacturer or vendor for more specific details."<rant>Remember, you don't have to install SP2! MS is not forcing this SP on you, although it is a good SP to install. Even Scot highly recommends it.If you do install it and don't like the added security features, or if one of your favourite apps breaks, you can uninstall it. Don't panic and blame MS for all the world's ills. </rant>

ct, I posted about this earlier  ;)Just to clarify, SP2 may not necessarily 'bork' the apps listed. It may or it may not. The point is, MS is aware of this and has produced this KB article.
Quite right, James!Some of these apps use specific ports that are not typical and so the XP Firewall would block them. ZoneAlarm will do that too. It's just a matter of fine tuning the firewall settings or turn it off. Here's another Microsoft list:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

nlinecomputers

Ok My Security Center this morning is claiming that AVG Pro 7.0 is out of date. It was but it did an update but the security center is still complaining. How do I clear this?

James M. Fisher
Ok My Security Center this morning is claiming that AVG Pro 7.0 is out of date.  It was but it did an update but the security center is still complaining.  How do I clear this?
Have you rebooted since? It may need several before it 'sees' it.You can always tell SC that you will handle your own AV updates (or something to that effect). AVG6 works fine here.

nlinecomputers
Have you rebooted since? It may need several before it 'sees' it.You can always tell SC that you will handle your own AV updates (or something to that effect). AVG6 works fine here.
I did after I posted. And it shows as updated. It going to be very annoying if I have to reboot after every update just so the security center will stay quiet. I can turn it off but for clients I rather have it running just wondering if this is going to be an issue that people will be phoning me about. Or worse something annoying enough that clients who shouldn't turn it off will.

nlinecomputers

I don't think so this is on a system that is never turned off. It flagged this overnight so it does check but I don't know how often. Once I rebooted it came up fine. There might be a registry hack that sets the time of how long it is before it checks.

Well, I was finally able to get SP2 installed on my computer. I found a newsgroup posting from someone that had the same exact problem I was having and got SP2 to install by first doing a Repair Installation of Windows XP. I gave it a shot and it worked perfectly for me too.Now I just need to find out how to get rid of MSN Messenger as changing the sysoc.inf file doesn't seem to work anymore.Thanks again for all the help and advice.

I just found out how to get rid of MS Messenger:Click [start] [Run] and in the [Open:] box type or copy/paste the following commandRunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.RemoveClick [OK]

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are 2 separate apps. I assume you meant Windows Messenger?
Yes, I meant Windows Messenger - I always get Microsoft's many Messengers mixed up :thumbsup: