What OS do you use?

Guest ThunderRiver

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest LilBambi
Personally I prefer RedHat for the simple reason that they are the most well known name in Linux... and most businesses will use them because of the name/status...I'll be playing with Mandrake 9.1 as soon enough...
Me too Mike ... But I sure wish they still had Linuxconf in RedHat 7.3 ... I have stayed with RedHat 7.2 because Linuxconf is still there.My Jim installed Linuxconf on his 7.3 and had to do a few cruel tricks to get it working right.We both use linuxconf because over dialup it makes sense for remote admin of system files ... and if you have a problem with something in the GUI for some reason (video card problem or something like that), they are locking you out of making system changes from the commandline unless you change all the configuration files in /etc by hand. Bloody nuisance.They never should have done away with it. They should have worked with the developers of Linuxconf to get past whatever their problem was so it could still have been included in later versions of RedHat ...IMHO B)

Lil...

Me too Mike ... But I sure wish they still had Linuxconf in RedHat 7.3 ... I have stayed with RedHat 7.2 because Linuxconf is still there.
I certainly understand your point... but at the same time I have heard way too many horror stories of people's systems and conf files getting screwed by using linuxconf... I'm hoping that they'll get their own version of it going... CLI is one of the most powerful aspects of linux in general and I have to say that the guys who I know are using it in the mission critical environments do NOT load the GUI on the systems as that just adds another potential security risk... load and run only the services that you want that particular machine to run.... --

Guest LilBambi

Mike,Are you saying that the new 'linuxconf' type utility for RedHat 7.3 can be run from commandline ... which means it can be loaded via SSH in remote terminal?? Or am I reading what you said incorrectly?If so, I might just upgrade :)BTW: We strongly agree with you about not loading any services that you don't actually need on a given computer.

Guest ThunderRiver

is linuxconf only for Red Hat or for all Linux distro in general? I never heard of this config program. What does it do exactly? The command is not present in Slackware nor in Mandrake, at least not that I know of.ThunderRiver

Guest LilBambi
Linuxconf works for a.out and ELF systems. It installs currently directly on:Caldera (1.1) Debian (1.1) Mandrake (6 and 7) RedHat (5,6 and 7) Slackware (2 and 3.x) SuSE (5 and 6). Linuxconf is distributed in a tar.gz format (binary distribution) which may be installed on almost any distribution. Distribution specific packages (RPM for one) are also available.Linuxconf is a sophisticated administration system for the Linux operating system. In many ways, Linuxconf is different from other administration schemes found on Unix operating systems and most other systems.

Guest ThunderRiver

Ahh ic, that's probably the reason I never seen such command because I started using Slackware at version 6, and started using SuSe at version 8.0.Right now, I am in Sun Solaris, and these Sun boxes at school are quite nice environment for programming.ThunderRiver

Mike,Are you saying that the new 'linuxconf' type utility for RedHat 7.3 can be run from commandline ... which means it can be loaded via SSH in remote terminal?? Or am I reading what you said incorrectly?If so, I might just upgrade :)BTW:  We strongly agree with you about not loading any services that you don't actually need on a given computer.
Due to it's unreliability linuxconf has been dropped in redhat as of v7.3you could try using setup (that's a text mode setup program) and I would also suggest looking at Webmin http://www.webmin.com it's a web interface that can be accessed by any browser...-- :)

Guest LilBambi
Mike,Are you saying that the new 'linuxconf' type utility for RedHat 7.3 can be run from commandline ... which means it can be loaded via SSH in remote terminal?? Or am I reading what you said incorrectly?If so, I might just upgrade :)BTW:  We strongly agree with you about not loading any services that you don't actually need on a given computer.
Due to it's unreliability linuxconf has been dropped in redhat as of v7.3you could try using setup (that's a text mode setup program) and I would also suggest looking at Webmin http://www.webmin.com it's a web interface that can be accessed by any browser...-- :)
Oh, well ... I thought they would have made their own unified config for commandline. We do not use webamin for OS level configuration changes over the Internet. We only use SSH for that type of thing and being on dialup, Linuxconf is a real timesaver.Commandline setup might be an answer but ...I don't understand why RedHat couldn't have worked with the folks at Linuxconf to help correct the problems is beyond me. My Jim made Linuxconf work easily and reliably in RedHat 7.3 with just some minor changes. :)

Guest ThunderRiver

That's the problem with Red Hat. I have not been very happy with Red Hat because they refuse to support KDE, while Gnome seems to be their beloved X manager or something.On the other hand, SuSe and Mandrake are the ones that actually bring the whole community together and their recent products have been quite impressive.I can't wait try out Slackware 9.0 sometime soon though :D

Oh I'm glad to see some others still have a lot of old systems hanging around. I can't bear to toss them when they still work and my work room is beginning to look like a computer junkyard. Currently on hand and still very lively286 NEC 1986 running DOS 5486 NuTech box fr 1988 running Win 3.1486 "" running Win95Pentium(garage) with Win98PII 400 white box with W98sePIII 750 "" with W98seand my most used current systemsDell P4 1.8g Win2000proSP3 and IBM Thinkpad PIII w Win2000proSP3I really can't stand to toss them (bad karma too) while they are still alive but if I bring anymore home I think my husband will toss me out. ;) So I am only window shopping all the lovely new stuff out there. Sigh. Maybe next year. Any suggestions on what to do with all this stuff - and the landfill is NOT an option.

I guess I am an XP junkie.I have four pc's and a laptop all running XP.The laptop is running home the four desktops are running pro.All are on a peer to peer network with the laptop wireless.I keep several old pc's around for nostalgia a couple old custom built 486's running 3.1 that still work.An old Micron Pentium 120 running 95.

I currently am using 4 flavors of Windows and 4 flavors of Linux. I've got Win95 on a 486 Toshiba laptop, Win98 on a P-133 Compaq laptop, Win2K Pro on a Celeron 366 desktop and WinXP on 3 different desktops (2 are Pro and 1 is Home). On my personal machine (AMD XP 1800+, 512 RAM, KLE 133 chipset), I am running a quad-boot -- WinXP Pro, RedHat 8.0, Mandrake 9.0 and Lycoris. I also boot various computers with Knoppix CD. As much as I enjoy playing with the various OSes, I find that I keep returning to WinXP for productive work. For me, XP is the best from Redmond by far. It is stable, easy to use, and it supports everything we need, including VPN access to my wife's corporate networks. (She telecommutes fulltime.) Any OS we use in a productive environment must be compatible with mainstream business, so Linux does not quite pass the test -- yet. However, as Micro$oft keeps raising the cost of computing, I am moving closer and closer to switching the non-work computers to only Linux. I wonder how many others are finding themselves in a similar predicament?

Guest ThunderRiver
I currently am using 4 flavors of Windows and 4 flavors of Linux.  I've got Win95 on a 486 Toshiba laptop, Win98 on a P-133 Compaq laptop, Win2K Pro on a Celeron 366 desktop and WinXP on 3 different desktops (2 are Pro and 1 is Home).  On my personal machine (AMD XP 1800+, 512 RAM, KLE 133 chipset), I am running a quad-boot -- WinXP Pro, RedHat 8.0, Mandrake 9.0 and Lycoris.  I also boot various computers with Knoppix CD.  As much as I enjoy playing with the various OSes, I find that I keep returning to WinXP for productive work.  For me, XP is the best from Redmond by far.  It is stable, easy to use, and it supports everything we need, including VPN access to my wife's corporate networks.  (She telecommutes fulltime.)  Any OS we use in a productive environment must be compatible with mainstream business, so Linux does not quite pass the test -- yet.  However, as Micro$oft keeps raising the cost of computing, I am moving closer and closer to switching the non-work computers to only Linux.  I wonder how many others are finding themselves in a similar predicament?
Well, so far I have not had such problem yet, and that's mainly becuase Xp often comes with the machine I bought. Windows is indeed a lot expensive, but I guess MS is saying that's all due to high amount of piracy. Well, I think it is because of this.. (note.. think of the light bulb as green $$$)sofa-bill.jpg

tsw6655 I don't like the direction MS is going either and that is why I dual boot with RedHat 8.0 using KDE desktop. Each version of RH keeps getting more and more added to it and I am loving it. Just need more software developers to develope for linux such as Adobe and Macromedia - I would almost bet they wouldn't see as much piracy as they do with windows software, cause the OS is so much cheaper and people love to support anything Anti-MS

Guest LilBambi
Win 98Win XPMac OS X (and why isn't that part of the poll?)
Hey, you are right ...Mac OS/9 and Mac OS X are both missing from the poll .. I am sure it was just an oversight that hopefully can be remedied :P There should definitely be one for each of the two active Mac OSes ... there are still a lot of Mac OS/9 users too.

I have 4 PC's networked here at home. 1 homebuilt w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN2K Advanced Server, 1 Compaq EVO8000 Dual Xeon 2 SCSI HD workstation w/ WIN NT4/WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro/WIN XP Pro (on a seperate partion installed for gaming :) ) , 1 Gateway SP1000 w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro and 1 homebuilt w/ WIN XP Pro.3 of the PC's have mobile hard drive racks in them hooked up as Master on IDE 1 so I can put in a seperate HD and install and play with other O/S's (I own a retail or OEM version of every MS O/S since WIN 3.1/DOS 5 - except Server datacenter of course). Currently network is peer-to-peer, but will be promoting the server PC to domain controller in the next few weeks.I took a classroom MCSE course at a local college last year but felt I needed more experience before starting to work in the networking field. My background is non-tech - retail chain store headquarter mangement - though I used PC's all the time at work with both proprietary software and MS Office software. When my company downsized I took the early retirement package and decided, after 30 years of 6 and 7 day weeks and 10 to 15 hour work days to change careers.I bought my first PC - an Apple II+ - back in 1981 and have had PC's at home ever since.

Guest ThunderRiver
Win 98Win XPMac OS X (and why isn't that part of the poll?)
Sorry ..simply forgot. I use Mac OS X from time to time...

Guest ThunderRiver
I have 4 PC's networked here at home. 1 homebuilt w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN2K Advanced Server, 1 Compaq EVO8000 Dual Xeon 2 SCSI HD workstation w/ WIN NT4/WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro/WIN XP Pro (on a seperate partion installed for gaming :blink: ) , 1 Gateway SP1000 w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro and 1 homebuilt w/ WIN XP Pro.3 of the PC's have mobile hard drive racks in them hooked up as Master on IDE 1 so I can put in a seperate HD and install and play with other O/S's (I own a retail or OEM version of every MS O/S since WIN 3.1/DOS 5 - except Server datacenter of course). Currently network is peer-to-peer, but will be promoting the server PC to domain controller in the next few weeks.I took a classroom MCSE course at a local college last year but felt I needed more experience before starting to work in the networking field. My background is non-tech - retail chain store headquarter mangement - though I used PC's all the time at work with both proprietary software and MS Office software. When my company downsized I took the early retirement package and decided, after 30 years of 6 and 7 day weeks and 10 to 15 hour work days to change careers.I bought my first PC - an Apple II+ - back in 1981 and have had PC's at home ever since.
OT: Compaq EVO rocks..what more can I say? ;) Proud user of Compaq Evo business line ;)You mentioned that you felt you need more experiences, wel, you know what? You need to start working to gain experience!

I don't know...let me turn around. Two with XP, one with ME, my 2000 just died. The computers in my classroom are two with XP, two with 98 and 7 with 95 plus 7 parts computers with 95 or 98. In two months I should have (operative word = should) all XP in my classroom (squeaky wheel gets the grease).

I'm currently using 3 pcs.pc1 Dual booting XP Home and Windows 98SEpc2 Laptop with XP Homepc3 Older PI box with 98 SEOS's I've messed with are BeOS, two different distros of Linux, and NT4.0Chris

I've been using XP Pro since Beta 2. To me, it is easily the best version of Windows ever! I haven't found a piece of hardware or software put out in the last seven years that I can't get to function in XP Pro. The only part of XP that I do not like is the Loony (Luna) interface. Oh, I don't mind the appearance, I just hate the amount of system resources it uses to do it! I've felt that way about every incarnation of Themes to ever hit Windows and I will continue to feel that way until they stop sucking up so much of my system!

I have 4 pc's.2 run XP Pro1 runs XP Homeand I'm getting ready to set the other up to dual boot XP home and Red Hat.I have used- Win98se, WinME (hated it), WinXP, Mandrake, Red Hat, Lycoris (hated it too), and I tried BeOs.My pc's are all networked. I run 4 towers on one monitor via KVM (for 2 towers) and using reaVNC to remotely control the other towers.

Guest ThunderRiver
I've been using XP Pro since Beta 2. To me, it is easily the best version of Windows ever! I haven't found a piece of hardware or software put out in the last seven years that I can't get to function in XP Pro. The only part of XP that I do not like is the Loony (Luna) interface. Oh, I don't mind the appearance, I just hate the amount of system resources it uses to do it! I've felt that way about every incarnation of Themes to ever hit Windows and I will continue to feel that way until they stop sucking up so much of my system!
I suppose you like "Watercolor" better? ;)

ldonyo: I totally agree with you - I have my XP set to classic interface, eye candy is nice, but I would rather have the resources ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

You can always hack uxheme.dll in Windows XP so that you can switch to a better theme that uses less resources. I am not promoting changing your file system because of File Protection in Windows XP. I am also not responsible for any damages to your system. You make your own choice. :)Here is the a few place to start.http://vortex.winbeta.org to download hacked uxtheme.dll to replace the file under %systemroot%\system32\http://www.deskmod.com or http://www.themexp.org to download nice theme for your system. Hope that helps.PM me if you have concerns about this posts...

The problem with this poll is that it only allows you to make 1 vote.My kids computer runs 98SEI have a computer somewhat dedicated to VPN use for working at home, which run 2000 Pro sp3My main computer runs XP home editionMy wifes lapop also runs XP home edition.I'd prefer XP Pro, but home edition was pre-installed & $150 - $200 is too much to justify for an home to Pro upgrade.