Trying Google AdSense

Scot

No doubt you've noticed that the Forums has added Google AdSense ads at the top of many pages. The pages where you see the dark plum Scot's Newsletter ad just haven't been indexed by Google yet, but probably will be over time. When they are, the Google ads will appear there as well.Why are we doing this? To make the forums self sufficient fiscally. There has never been any intent to make money on these forums. But there is an expense in running them, both in terms of time and outlay of money, and this could help us offset those costs.So, I'm asking you to try this out, see whether it's irksome or something you can live with. The look and feel of these ads may change. What will not change is where they will appear. Or let me put it this way, they will never be any more intrusive than this.I welcome your constructive feedback about these ads (whether you can live with them or whether you hate them). This forum belongs to everyone who is part of it. Your input matters. But please understand that there are monetary realities that we have to face. I'd rather we all had to deal with some pesky ads at the top than we have to decide that we're stuck with a current bad webhost or a current version of the software. As the forums grow, we have to keep pace. This should help us do that.-- Scot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed_P

• SonicDragon

• Arena2045

• Ozidave

Do what you got to do there, Big Cheese. I am sure that everyone fully understands. It is a fact of life on the internet. Just keep up the great site Scot. Substance is what counts.To be honest, I never even noticed. I have my eyes so thoroughly trained to ignore ads it is like they are not even there.

SonicDragon

The adds are fine by me. I have no problems with them at all. Just wondering a little on the placement. Maybe we should center the add? Or maybe move it to in between the forum rules box and the actual forum sort of like lockergnome does? That way the first thing people see is the scot's newsletter banner? Either way, the placement of the add doesn't bother me, just throwing out some ideas. :(

I like where they're at, and the content seems to be very good on all the forums, except one (Browser and Email). :( It's not bad or anything, but I found it a bit odd. :lol:ScreenshotAll of the rest of them are very good! :lol:

I'm running out Google AdSense on all the sites I run. On the Scot's Newsletter home page, where buried in the text I say the abbreviation of the site is "SFNL" because "SNL" sounded too much like Saturday Night Live, I got four ads across the top that were all advertising Saturday Night Live DVDs or similar. That was pretty funny.I think we're definitely in for some strange or stupid ad matching. I'm trying to look at that as sort of randomly-generated "automatic mirth."-- Scot

I bet there was some reference to .gif on the page and they were translatting that as gifts. Oh no, what have I done to the ads on this page now??? o:) :D Julia

Now mind you, I neither condone nor encourage such behavior :D , but I have seen some fun being had by starting a topic with the sole purpose of getting Google AdSense to produce humorous results. Cheap thrills were had by all. o:)

nlinecomputers

google ads are fine. the placement is where most such forums put it. This, to me, is SOP and hardly a problem at all. heck I've even click on a link in them before.

Guest Paracelsus
:D o:) :hmm:Perhaps I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...But I must register a vote of dissent.Please understand that I fully understand and appreciate the fiscal requirements and reasoning for the ad placement...But I, for one, dislike them.I would much rather see the Forums remain viable through contributions or some form of dues.I know this concept doesn't get a very high approval rating, but it's my 2¢ worth and I'm sticking to it.

Guest Paracelsus
I'm sure scot would take any donations...
Quite True, SD...The problem however, is...Do enough people make donations, and is the sum enough to cover the costs of the Hosting Service; Software Upgrades; etc.I don't think that Scot or any of the Admins should be in the postition of having to make onerous pleas for contributions. Not that there is anything wrong with that... but it is distasteful.Now I understand that many members are students; retired; or run their own businesses... and the world economy ain't exactly grand at the moment. However...Seeing as we now have well over 2K members...A dues format required of all members, when divided by even a liberal estimate of the per annum costs associated with maintaining this Site...Would be a pittance to all but the most parsimoniously inclined.

:D  o:)  :hmm:But I, for one, dislike them.
I do not like them on a page,I do not like them in this age,I do not like them Sam I am.I do not like them in print,I do not like them with a mint,I do not like them Sam I am.The ad will drive me mad,My dissent has me bent,I will not look at them Sam I am.Sorry, Para. I watched that this morning with my kid and I can't get it out of my head. Been talking in Dr. Seuss all day.

Guest Paracelsus

You're too funny, Man!Leave it to Stryder to lighten the atmosphere o:) Thing 1 & Thing 2 ROCK!!But my personal favorite has always been, "Horton Hears a Who" :D

ads are fine with me and easy to live withThe licensing on IPB is not cheap and web hosting costs $$ too, not as bad as the forum software tho. If the ads let us keep up with the current software of IPB and good hosting than lets have the ads.

Why are we doing this? To make the forums self sufficient fiscally. There has never been any intent to make money on these forums. But there is an expense in running them, both in terms of time and outlay of money, and this could help us offset those costs.
I think Scot's quote say's it all, I find this Forum very entertaining at times. It also gives me the pleasure of trying to help with what 'little I know' and the challenge of catching up.I'm also of the opinion that, if those who give help where they can are expected to donate to provide it, something will come apart and these forums will suffer for it.Those looking for help are here-and-gone, so I doubt any donations will be forthcoming there. Entertainment is not free, and the 'regulars here' can thank Google for paying for ours. :lol:Those who object 'at the moment', will just have to learn to o:) them? And congratulate Scot for the service he has provided for free, thus far..... :D Ozi.

I never even noticed the ads untill I clicked on this thread. At least Scot was decent enough to tell us that the ads will be used. In other forums they were just thrown in with no explanation whatsoever. I for one applaud Scot for being professional and businesslike about this. :D

I would like to hear your opinion on this...IF we set up some sort of special donation system, and asked for "X" amount... would you donate said amount to have an Ad free skin associated with your username for a given span of time (probably 6 months, or 1 year)?This would be purely on an individual user basis... there would be no status change to identify your account as being a person who donated; you would just be Ad free.

nlinecomputers
I would like to hear your opinion on this...IF we set up some sort of special donation system, and asked for "X" amount... would you donate said amount to have an Ad free skin associated with your username for a given span of time (probably 6 months, or 1 year)?This would be purely on an individual user basis... there would be no status change to identify your account as being a person who donated; you would just be Ad free.
Personally I would not. But I like the offer. I don't have a problem with the ads but for those that do I could see paying for the right to be ad free would be handy.

This would be purely on an individual user basis... there would be no status change to identify your account as being a person who donated; you would just be Ad free.
I would. I think to find out how many would honestly donate a poll might be the best way as that would allow folks to indicate they would not without it being posted by name.Julia :thumbsdown:

I noticed when I click on the ad, to give my support to the site and the great folks that volunteer their time as Admins and Mods, that it does not open in a new window or tab. It takes over the current window or tab. Anyway to change this behaviour so that it opens in a new tab or window?

You're too funny, Man!Leave it to Stryder to lighten the atmosphere :whistling: Thing 1 & Thing 2 ROCK!!But my personal favorite has always been, "Horton Hears a Who" :thumbsdown:
I love the Dr. He is just silly fun. Why does it not suprise me that you are a fan too? Of course me being a Sam... I am... kinda biased as to my favorite. :devil:

SonicDragon
The pages where you see the dark plum Scot's Newsletter ad just haven't been indexed by Google yet, but probably will be over time. When they are, the Google ads will appear there as well.

Guest Paracelsus
I would like to hear your opinion on this...IF we set up some sort of special donation system, and asked for "X" amount... would you donate said amount to have an Ad free skin associated with your username for a given span of time (probably 6 months, or 1 year)?
By all means!! :thumbsdown:

Well I guess Scot can set up a special password for those that wish to pay not to see the ads. The regular members would see the ads without a fee, and the members that wish not to see the ads can pay for that privilage. Seems kind of silly though. :thumbsdown: