Paradise lost.

abarbarian

Looks magnificent.. Let me know if you need a roommate...

Tens of thousands of pounds outside my price range I am sad to say. I'll keep you in mind if I need a house mate. I'm a tad particular who I invite to be me room mate :whistling:

• Like 1

Looks nice.

First one you posted looked good and was lovely area but had at least one bedroom that looks as if it started life as a porch, and a narrow one at that. Couldn't put on too much weight or you wouldn't have room to get out of bed.

Temmu nope though if my Singles thread shows a result, who knows.

Bambi the canal side property will never flood as canals have run of points to stop flooding and Brum does not flood also.

The beach hut looks to be well above even a freak high tide point. An if sea levels rise to such an extent that flooding occurred then more than half the world would be under water and we would all be living in boats anyway.

I half have a mind to buy a very cheap house and put some loot into a narrow boat to cruise the canals of england for a few years. That would allow me to cruise into the sunset at 4 mph till me loot or health ran out and I could scuttle of to me house to see out me days. Thinking on this one seriously.

http://www.boatbid.com/boatbid_boat.php?a=1204&b=151327#inline-login-reg-alert

autoimage-151327_BoatPic_Main.jpg-400-300.jpg

:pirate:

Looks great! I was reading a mystery novel a while ago that had a family living on a narrow boat as part of the story line. Interesting to read about families for whom the canals were a way of life and the narrow boat their only home.

I used to helm the Jenny Rose sometimes on the Grand Union Canal . There was never so magical time in my life as steering a narrowboat fitted out with seats and an awning with a full quoir singing madrigals as the old single cylunder engine pop popped along at about 3mph. Watching the customers astonished faces along the wall of the Welsh Harp pub near Harlesden,Nth London .

Fantastic summer evenings.

• Like 1

These old fashioned TUG style narrow boats appeal to me as I could make a small turntable ramp affair on the open deck which I could use to get my motorbike on and of the boat.

421172_1.jpg

http://www.apolloduc...phtml?id=421172

ebrkethere are some fab pictures showing life on board the old canal boats. some of which were still in commercial use up to the 60's. How anyone brought up family in such cramped conditions is beyond me. Bet the kids loved the freedom.

Capt. if I buy a boat you'll have to come and show me the ropes.

:pirate:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Wild horses would not keep me away. Just one word . A narrow boat will take one all over England Wales and Scotland . An amazing amount of the most scenic cuts will not take a boat over 6ft beam. There are times if you go cruising that you will be looking down from the deck at the countryside 100ft below .

Now is the time for you to look up >CEVNI< as skipper the insurance costs drop big time with this little card.

• Like 1

https://www.google.c...445301244639702

Sorry got the name slightly wrong . Old age.. I may forget a name .But never a face.. :oops: :hysterical:

Are some of the canals one-way? The pic captioned Jenny Wren at Warwick Avenue looks as though the waterway isn't wide enough for more than one boat.

All the canals as far as I know are two way. As far as I have found out the standard 7' 10" narrowboat will make it through 90% of the canals as long as it is not more than 55'. I am still fact finding and it is quite hard to find all the information in one place. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

Funny how on reflection we remember ancient things more correctly .

Welsh Harp is wrong . So sorry folks The Grand Junction Arms .was the name of the pub at the bridge in Harlesden. It had a good private quay. Sometimes Jenny Wren tied up there for half an hour . Comfort stop for the very thirsty. etc.. Just remembered that we used to buy full kegs of Guiness straight from ParkRoyal brewery. They used to lend out the "iron lung" :Hammys_pint: