A good cup of coffee

lewmur

Us single people have a problem getting a good cup of coffee at home. Making a "pot" of coffee is a total waste and "single cup" coffee makers tend to be very expensive. That has pretty much relegated us to using "instant". Yeck!!! :'( Then, while searching eBay for single cup makers, I came across this simple device. You can actually make a good cup of coffee with it.

When my wife was alive, she had a method a making coffee in an old New Orleans creole way. Instead of brewing a "pot" of coffee, she'd make "coffee syrup". She'd use a pound of CDM regular and a quarter of a pound of CDM with chickory to make a quart of syrup. She'd place the grounds in a "drip" pot with the paper filter and heat a quart of water in a pan. The pan was NEVER allowed to boil. (Boiling releases the acid in the grounds.) She'd then pour the water through the grounds, pour the coffee back into the pan, re-heat it back to a simmer and pour it back through the groundd. This process was repeated several times in order to make the "coffee syrup".

The syrup then went into the refrigerator and when you wanted a cup of coffee, you'd pour about a quarter of a cup into a sauce pan then use either milk, water or a combination of the two to equal a full cup and heat it to a simmer. You could also use a microwave for this step. You could "regulate" how strong the coffee was simply by adjusting the amount of syrup you used. You could get a good strong cup without any bitter flavor at all. Personally, I liked mine with about half syrup and half milk.

Using the device from eBay, you can apply the same principles. Heat the water ONLY to a simmer and adjust the strength by how many times you reheat and pour back trough the grounds as well as the amount of grounds you use. Of course, the quality of your results will also depend on the quality of the coffee you purchased.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

There is a product on sale in the British isles .Very similar to the brew your wife used to make . The local equivalent is known by the trade name IREL...a teaspoon of which actually made a passable cup of coffee. Robert Roberts make something similar across the stream . Interesting post man.

I have a little 4-cup electric drip thingie. I make 2 cups, which is a large mug, for breakfast. Unfortunately, I've had to go to decaf with advancing years--I rarely drink regular coffee any more. I do buy good, dark-roast decaf and grind it each day, so it's drinkable, but I do miss the strong coffee I used to be able to tolerate.

• Like 1

I have to cut back on my usual 10/15 mugs a day . The stomach has recently been complaining just after the first of the day. So that has been replaced by a big mug of irish breakfast tea . Now I'm down to 6/10 mugs a day . Has anyone ever got headaches when not drinking coffee for a day or two . ?

• Like 1

securitybreach

I have to cut back on my usual 10/15 mugs a day . The stomach has recently been complaining just after the first of the day. So that has been replaced by a big mug of irish breakfast tea . Now I'm down to 6/10 mugs a day . Has anyone ever got headaches when not drinking coffee for a day or two . ?

I have before and I think that it is due to your body being used to massive caffeine intake at a certain time. Caffeine is like any other drug, you go through withdraws

Has anyone ever got headaches when not drinking coffee for a day or two . ?

Yep, it's the caffeine withdrawal according to my doctor. He warned me about that when I switched to decaf, although it didn't happen to me.

EDIT: Sorry, Josh, you already posted what I just said. :>

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

I bought meself a Aero Press after a discussion here some time ago.

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

Quick and easy to use and rinse out. I make a big cup of coffee every day and have only used three filters as you can rinse them and reuse.

Makes the best coffee. I took it with me on a trip a couple of weeks ago and it was a real treat waking up in a hotel and drinking a decent brew in bed. :breakfast:

• Like 2

Looks and operates similar to a French Press coffee maker. My brother is a one cup a day coffee drinker and uses one. I'm a full carafe coffee drinker - 3 18oz mugs in the morning - and use a Cuisinart drip brewer with an insulated carafe - no heater under the carafe - to hold the brewed coffee, and a reusable metal screen filter. 100% Colombian bean coffee grounds, brewed very strong. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

My Jim and I used to go through a ton of coffee every day (many pots) back when we smoked it was part of the ritual.

My doctor said I needed to cut down a while back due to hot flashes being much worse when I drank coffee (he said it was that), and eventually I saw that it was true that when I drank coffee I would have stronger hot flashes.

I started drinking more herbal teas to compensate for the lesser amounts of coffee I was drinking ... still had my morning jolt though.

When we stopped smoking, we also drank even less and less coffee because it made us want to smoke since they were constantly linked.

So now I drink some coffee once in a while. I am actually drinking more coffee since my sister is at the treatment center than I have been since we sit around quite a bit :lol:

But generally I drink more teas (Spiced Chai, Peppermint, Earl Grey, etc.) then coffee. The Keurig at the Inn we are staying at makes coffee and tea which is very nice. But they are not an option at home. Way too expensive.

Friends of ours started making it in a French Press and that is a very nice method. I wish that coffee thing would be one that sits OVER the cup of coffee instead of inside the cup.

There is an old saw in N.O. about the best way to cook red beans and rice. The answer? "The way my granma did." But probably only in N.O. (or maybe Miami) would that same thing apply to coffee. My grandmother wasn't from N.O., so I deferred to my wife's.

At one time the vast majority of the coffee imported to the U.S. came through the port of N.O. and finding CDM (Cafe Du Monde) on the grocery shelf is as common as finding Maxwell House or Foldger's. (CDM probably outsells the other two combined.) My point being that I enjoy CDM much more than I do the high priced beans.

Guest LilBambi

We always bought Columbian Beans and ground them ourselves when we could afford it. We preferred it over any other pre-ground coffee.

We preferred to make it totally fresh. But who can afford that these days either...

I wish that coffee thing would be one that sits OVER the cup of coffee instead of inside the cup.

If you mean the one I posted about, it does sit over the cup. :breakfast:

3zo0eEN.png

Friends of ours started making it in a French Press and that is a very nice method. I wish that coffee thing would be one that sits OVER the cup of coffee instead of inside the cup.

I've never really understood the point of the "French Press". Seems to me all that does is push the water through the grounds faster. Giving it less time to absorb the flavor.

Only problem with the French Press is that there's no paper filter. I read (doctor at Harvard Inst Pub Health) that there's an enzyme in coffee that pushes up your LDL cholesterol if the coffee doesn't filter through paper. Appears to be correct judging from my blood tests. I've never been sure how much I buy into the supposed extreme dangers of higher cholesterol levels, but in the interests of not hearing my doctor yell because I won't take statins, I've avoided french press coffee for several years now.

i buy this, keeping one at work and one at home

(you squeeze the bottle to get a shot of coffee, and add that to hot or cold water) it's good enough even for company.

Interesting--I've never seen that before.

Yesterday was National Coffee Day. The line at Dunkin' Donut was too long so we skipped that. My hubby got a free large coffee at Sheetz and we both got a 24 oz cup of Hazelnut (both for me) at Wawa.

Sheetz and Wawa are gas/food chains in our area. I'm still enjoying the hazelnut.

• Like 2

Yesterday was National Coffee Day. The line at Dunkin' Donut was too long so we skipped that. My hubby got a free large coffee at Sheetz and we both got a 24 oz cup of Hazelnut (both for me) at Wawa.

Sheetz and Wawa are gas/food chains in our area. I'm still enjoying the hazelnut.

Great foraging, you have the soul of a yorkshire person. :clap:

• Like 1

i buy this, keeping one at work and one at home

(you squeeze the bottle to get a shot of coffee, and add that to hot or cold water) it's good enough even for company.

coolbrew.jpg

If it tastes good that would be fab for travelling. Or for single fol at home.

Googling Cool Brew here gives no results apart from a few USA sopping sites. However I found this delightful way of preparing coffee which is apparently an american craze at the moment.

http://www.jamieoliv...ld-brew-coffee/

Cold coffee has long been associated with huge coffee chains, vats of whipped cream, sweet artificial syrups and other such miseries. This summer, however, New York City introduced me to cold-brew coffee – a very different, far more refined creature that made me realise the magic of cold coffee, just in time for a warm English summer.

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

No matter how hot it is, I NEVER drink cold coffee. My coffee has to be black and piping hot or I don't drink it.

If It is that warm outside, I switch to iced tea or as my friends in Oz referred to it as "cold tea". Iced tea is a summer staple for lots in the US.

No matter how hot it is, I NEVER drink cold coffee. My coffee has to be black and piping hot or I don't drink it.

If It is that warm outside, I switch to iced tea or as my friends in Oz referred to it as "cold tea". Iced tea is a summer staple for lots in the US.

What !!!! They must be a bunch of commie 's then. You should report any tea drinkers to the FBI immediately. :devil:

In the Soviet period, tea-drinking was extremely popular in the daily life of office workers (female secretaries, laboratory assistants, etc.). Tea brands of the time were nicknamed "the brooms" (Georgian) and "the tea with an elephant" (Indian).[12] Tea was an immutable element of kitchen life among the intelligentsia in 1960s-'70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_tea_culture

• Like 1

securitybreach

Since I love strong coffee, I may have to buy some of this (just for testing purposes ;) )

About the Product

• Stay awake with The World's Strongest Coffee. Death Wish Whole Bean Coffee has double the caffeine of your average coffee
  • Our premium beans are carefully selected and expertly roasted to ensure a bold, smooth brew that you will love
  • Take pride knowing that your coffee is Fair Trade, USDA Certified Organic and Kosher
  • This perfect dark roast will make you the hero of the house or office
  • If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund your order. No questions asked

61UX8ue-B3L._SX522_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...R6W/?tag=047-20

By Chasten Ruin on April 11, 2013

Here's a general rundown of my experience with the first pot of Death Wish Coffee.

1st cup - Hmm, this aint bad. Tastes pretty good. I like it.

2nd cup - Dang, I'm feeling groovy. Let's get some work done.

3rd cup - Didyaknowscientiststhinkthereareparalleluniversesandlikeyoucouldbelivinganinfiniteamountoflivesindifferentrealities?

4th cup - OH. MY. GOD. THERE ARE ANTS CRAWLING UNDER MY SKIN, DUDE!

• Like 6

Cluttermagnet

We have used various 4 cup or 10 cup drip coffee makers in recent years.

During that time we transitioned from buying ground coffee to buying only

coffee beans. A little coffee mill can be had for around 10-15 dollars US.

Not as good as a fancy burr grinder, I'm sure, but most satisfactory anyway.

I now have a special blend of coffee I use almost exclusively. It consists of

some dark roast Cuban beans, some medium dark roast Ethiopian beans,

and a spoonful of relatively cheap ground Colombian on top in the basket,

seems to add some flavor overtones we like. It's great coffee!

I also brew individual cups, and was surprised to learn that my practice

was somewhat of a fad- 'hand poured'. For this, you can take a small screen

type strainer, about 3in diameter (7.5cm) which just fits atop the drinking

mug. Into it you place a small 'No. 2' cone filter of the brown (unbleached)

type. Put your ground coffee in the filter and slowly pour boiling water over

it. Once you have mastered this simple method, it doesn't seem like all

that much of a hassle to fuss with strainers and filters and such. Not good

if you are in a hurry, of course. Lately I've been using ground Gevalia to

do it this way. It's been pretty good, and is a lot less trouble than the 10 cup

pot at Betty's. BTW over the years I learned that it was worth the trouble

to press and form fit the cone filter into the screen hemisphere of the

strainer, and even pre-wet the filter a bit, just to assure it is hugging the

bottom of the strainer. No fun to have the works shifting around as you

begin your pour... This method has made me some darned good coffee

over the years, allowing a lot of experimentation to find the right beans

and the right blends.

Betty and I are both dedicated coffee drinkers but we've both decreased

the amount we drink over a day. Lately we go through perhaps a single

5 cups or so made in the 10 cup drip machine- between us. Years ago, I

drank way more... If we go out to a restaurant, we usually drink more

than that... we might order water, we always order coffee...

I also drink a fair amount of a custom hydration beverage during the day.

It's not all coffee here. Just some pure cranberry juice (no sugar/additives)

well diluted with chilled seltzer (~1:5) and sweetened with liquid Stevia

drops. Delicious! Does keep me from becoming dehydrated...

David

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 2

so... i ate a scoop of fresh ground coffee.

worked great for about 20 minutes! the crash from that was pretty horrible, though.

Ouch. I can believe that.
  • Like 1