Laptop Penguin

Jeber

I've checked most of the topics here, but I don't see one specific to my question, which is; Can I load SuSE 8.0 Personal version on my laptop with the following specs:TOSHIBA Satellite 2415 PS241U-85143V2000 megahertz Intel Pentium 48 kilobyte primary memory cache512 kilobyte secondary memory cache40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive CapacityBoard: TOSHIBA Portable PC Version A0Bus Clock: 100 megahertzBIOS: TOSHIBA Version 1.30 11/28/2002TEAC DW-224E [DVD-CD-RW drive]3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba) [Display adapter]Toshiba 8 Panel [Monitor] (14.3"vis, January 1999)Standard PCMCIA Card ModemTOSHIBA Software ModemIntel® PRO/100 VE Network ConnectionRAS Async AdapterI've heard of problems with hardware configurations, etc., but never hear specifically what the problems are. Is there a flavor of Linux better suited to laptops than the others?I'm determined to learn Linux sooner or later. Since I practically live on my laptop now, it would be easier if I can load it here than on my desktop (it's already there actually, dual-boot w/ WinXP, but I don't fire up that machine much anymore).

Jeber,You are VERY welcome in the Linux department !As for your question: There has been a long time that linux had problems with laptops, but those times are quickly fading away. I do know of the top of my head that the Toshiba satelite was in the ¨supported list¨ on a special linux-laptop site ( I´ll search for the link and post it later ), the Mandrake hardware database: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3 , does list 50 -60 types of Toshiba´s but I can find your type number there ( have a look yourself perhaps you see a type very simular ).The software modem you have there does sound a bit tricky . . . I´ll be back with the other link.:huh: Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --Smart move! It is always a very prudent thing to check hardware configurations against OS compatibility in Linux as it is with say WinXP.It will definitely save you a ton of headaches, and make your overall experience with Linux better, to be as informed as possible before embarking upon the journey.I haven't done Suse yet myself, but I really would like to try it too in the not to distant future.The hardware compatibility list that zox listed should be a great start for you. And if they can help you via email on the areas that are not specifically covered, so much the better. :huh:

Thanks, bruno and zox, I'll check those out. BTW, I don't use the software modem anyway (I have a ricochet PCMCIA modem card for wireless access). Would one of the "boot-from-disk" distro's work better, worse??

nlinecomputers

I'm with Bruno the only item I see that would be a big issue is the modem. And modem troubles are common in Linux be it desktop or laptop. (!@$@#$* Winmodems!)The other big issue with Laptops is power management. Linux is kinda difficult to configure to make best use of your battery life. Kernal recompling is in your future. (But worth learning!)Now the only thing I can't figure out is with the avatar you have that your NOT a linux geek? Don't all Linux geeks look like Richard Stallman? :huh:

Would one of the "boot-from-disk" distro's work better
Yes JeberA Knoppix to check the hardware compatebillety is the safest way you can travel !:huh: Bruno

........NOTE: The topic has been split ! ( new thread: A few questions before I jump, Teacher looking at Linux )..... B) BrunoPS: we will keep this thread open for Jeber´s laptop questions.

Thanks Bruno...you know once I try some of your suggestions I'm going to be back with a ton more questions. B)

Jeber,You will be welcome with your questions, you can post them right here !As you would have noticed I´m keeping this thread clear for you ! All my friends deserve a thread of their own ! B) :D Bruno

Just received my May copy of "PCUtilities" magazine (www.livepublishing.co.uk) that included a copy of Knoppix KDE 3.1 on a CD. Is this a good version to try? Also, won't resetting my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first slow down the boot time when I want to boot into WindowsXP? (it's been quite a while since I changed the boot order, and I can't recall...)

Jeber.Knoppix 3.1 is exelent !!Booting order makes a difference of 3 seconds, you can always put it back the way it was before, make sure your floppy is last in line that takes up the most time !<_< Bruno

OK, kewl...I'll try it out later today. BTW, I don't allow the system to check the floppy at bootup at all, ever. If you hear some screaming and cursing later...don't mind it. I've always reacted that way every time I've tried to learn Linux in the past. Helps me concentrate. <_<

O.K. ! Jeber !Here are some cheatcodes only for if CD reacts wierd on your Laptop:Knoppix lang=en nopcmciaKnoppix lang=en nopcmcia noapmKnoppix lang=en noapmI will look for more of them, but usualy you do not even need them ( the lang=en can come in handy though ! ) <_< Bruno

Jeber more cheatcodes:Nvidiacard !!!! --> knoppix lang=en xmodule=nv|radeon|savage|s3knoppix lang=en xserver=XFree|XF86_SVGAYou can always press F2 at the prompt for more options ! <_< Bruno