New PC I'm thinking about building!

Neil P

Hey...The AMD 64 will handle the 32bit slack or 64 Bit DRAKE and Suse...same with XP Pro....in fact for all your software to work though you'll might want to stick to 32 bit til the compilers catch up...More so with Windows...lack of Software(especially Av software)  The 32 bit will run fine...the 1 gig ram is good...I'm not running sata ,,,sorry can't help there...But for me I'm running Mandrake 64 and Suse Pro 64...but have loaded WinXPH..Pro...Slackware 10...Mepis..on the 64 box and they do fine>)Check out http://www.planetamd64.com for more infoSounds like a great system...Have fun!!  (And yes it will be screamer!!!!!! :thumbsup: )Go to PC PITSTOP after building..it's cool when it says "your is one of the fastest available " B)
Thanks Barry, its good to know someone else here has at least used the A64 hardware, which looks great.As for SATA, I haven't given up (sorry Bruno). I found This page, which shows what SATA hardware works. It lists "VIA VT8237 South Bridge" as compatible (2.4.x, with 2.6.3+ beta support), and the mobo I selected has said South Bridge.I'm still debating....as switching to ATA would require finding a new mobo (the RAID controller is for SATA)I'm even considering dropping RAID (until later maybe) and just running the two drives seperately...and if SATA doesn't work, maybe see if I can't run the drives in PATA mode (needs an adapter or a setting in the BIOS)

Since you specifically mentioned the case, I'll throw in my 2 cents in. Considering the amount of money you are throwing into the system, I think you're cheaping it on the case /PSAt $79 dollars for an aluminum case with power supply you may be asking for trouble. That 420w turbolink goes for around $20. You can't go wrong with plenty of good clean power, especially if you ever plan to over clock.I would take a look at some of thermaltake cases and buy a separate Enermax or Antec power supply rated at 450w or over. I would also make sure the P/S can deliver adequate amperage to the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V rails paying particular attention to the +12v rail

Since you specifically mentioned the case, I'll throw in my 2 cents in.  Considering the amount of money you are throwing into the system, I think you're cheaping it on the case /PSAt $79 dollars for an aluminum case with power supply you may be asking for trouble.  That 420w turbolink goes for around $20. You can't go wrong with plenty of good clean power, especially if you ever plan to over clock.I would take a look at some of thermaltake cases and buy a separate Enermax or Antec  power supply rated at 450w or over. I would also make sure the P/S can deliver adequate amperage to the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V rails paying particular attention to the +12v rail
Ah, surely. I was looking for recommendations on the case, as it is an area I know the least about probably (not that I'm an expert in the others). I'll give those names a look and see what I can come up with.ThanksNeil

I think thats an excellent power supply. Looks like its delivering 33 amps to the 12v rail which is great. 12v usually powers your optical & hard drives, Processor, processor Fan and case fans. That P/S has dual fans & shielded cables. I'm not sure, but it may also have gold plated connectors and extra long cables. :thumbsup: I also have an antec case and am very happy with it. It is exceptionally well made, heavy with well finished edges..nothing sharp that will cut your cables. The paint was also better than on some cars I've owned B) My only complaint about mine & the one you list is that the door is plastic and feels flimsy. Antec also has decent support. I had one quick-latch that wasn't closing firmly so I left a message with Antec and got a call back in an hour. They shipped a new latch that day no questions asked.

Wow... Nice find with the Antec case. Antec is pretty good case. Removable hard drive cages are a benefit if you ever need to change out or add hard drives. At first I thought I hated the idea of drive rails (I do when they get lost or separated from the case). But rails are handy when it comes to swapping and installing CD/DVD drives (when you have the rails). The case seems to have a fair price given it's lacking the power supply while including useful front ports. Enermax, Antec, and one other that (Fred) Langa (aka langa.com) recently covered in an article are popular and quite good. There is also a correlation between the (heft) weight of the power supply, it's price, and it's quality. So the heavier it is, and the more it costs typically, but not always, means it's of higher quality. (:thumbsup: I wish I could find that site now).So with all of that said, the power supply seems like a nice find as well with an average price.

Ok a little searching has turned up This case and This power supply.I don't really have an affinity for newegg, pricescan just keeps turning it up with the best prices :thumbsup:
I was going to recommend the Piano Black Antec Sonata case. I just purchased one last month and it is very nice. It has some nice touches like rubber grommets in the hard drive bays to dampen the vibrations (and it does; you can't hear the hard drives, especially if they have fluid dynamic bearing motors!) and SATA hard drive power connectors from the power supply.

I was going to recommend the Piano Black Antec Sonata case. I just purchased one last month and it is very nice. It has some nice touches like rubber grommets in the hard drive bays to dampen the vibrations (and it does; you can't hear the hard drives, especially if they have fluid dynamic bearing motors!) and SATA hard drive power connectors from the power supply.
That looks like a nice case, but it has a power supply already. Would that be "good enough"? Or would I be better off getting the case I showed above and separate power supply? It doesn't look like I can get that case without a power supply (and don't want to buy it and another PS).Hmm.

That looks like a nice case, but it has a power supply already. Would that be "good enough"? Or would I be better off getting the case I showed above and separate power supply? It doesn't look like I can get that case without a power supply (and don't want to buy it and another PS).Hmm.
You can't go wrong with an Antec power supply, especially one bundled with the case! :thumbsup:

Decisions decisions.... :thumbsup: Man do I love shoping for PC stuff, even vicariously.You could always get This case. It has an included 430w Antec truepower P/S...but the Enermax one you have chose seems clearly superior. Another option may be to sell any included P/S on ebay.

Barry (or anyone):Does the A64 require a different connector from the Power Supply than, say, the Athlon XP?Reason I'm asking is because the current one I have picked says "for AMD K7 & Pentium4". So if the connector is different, there is little reason for me to buy said power supply! :thumbsup: Neil

That Power supply will work with the 64.I was going to suggest you head over to Asus' forums to see what the members were saying about various Power supplies and the board you chose, but they seem to be offline.If I were you, before plunking down cash on one of the most important parts of your system, I would check out some overclockers forums and see what they say about Power supplies for the Mobo you chose. If a power supply can deliver stable Voltages while being OC'd you are practically guaranteeing you will run stable at default speeds...at least where power is concerned.The other thing I would check is to make sure your RAM has been qualified by Asus. I made the mistake of trying to run generic RAM with my abit NF7-s and regretted it. Random reboots, monitor refreshing by itself, audio cutting out. I threw in some Crucial and presto, stable machine. I know Corsair has an excellent rep, but I would check just in case.

If I were you, before plunking down cash on one of the most important parts of your system, I would check out some overclockers forums and see what they say...
Great advice vis mobos, too, even if the maker's rep is good and the specs inviting.

Alright, just one more question before I decide (I like most of the parts I picked now): Are the VIA chipsets good/bad? (From your experience, or stories you've heard).Reason I'm asking is because I talked to another person, and he said he wouldn't buy a VIA chipset anytime soon. Sure, it could have been just a freak personal experience, but what if I just missed it and everyone is having problems? Also, should I get the mobo from a more "well-known" name?

VIA chipsets tend to be hit and miss. Although they often come with more features then Intel chipsets they seem slower to me. However, if you are planning on AMD then you have other choices beside VIA; ALi, Nvidia and SiS make chipsets for Athlon CPUs, while with Intel CPUs you can choose Intel, ALi, VIA or SiS, and now even ATI!Albatron is considered to be a middle-grade motherboard maker. The top two in quality from many opinions are ASUS and MSI while you will see AOpen, ECS, Tyan sometimes up there.I've read good reviews of the Nvidia nForce 3 250 chipset for Athlon64.

Alright, I want to thank all of you for the help in picking the components. The order has just been placed! ;) VGA AOPEN|FX5200 - V128MB RTPOWER SP|460(P4)ATXEG465P-VE(FC)NRTHD 80GB|HITC SATA 8MB 13G0252DVD+/-RW 8X Sony DWU18A BEI BAZ SW CPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64 RTL MB CHTECH VNF3-250 NFORCE3 250 RET DDRAM PC-3200 512M KINGMAXMNTR CTX|19"CRT VL951TCASE ANTEC|PLUSVIEW 1000AMG RTL(That is from the summary, so the names are a little cut off)Two major changes: Went with a Chaintec motherboard with that NForce 3 250 chipset, and I bumped up to the Athlon 64 3400+ (retail). :DThe order was just under $1200, shipped.It should arrive sometime on or after August 2 (if I calculated right), so I'll update then :)Neil

Good Luck! Wishing you nothing but problem free, screaming fast computing  :)  :o
Thanks!I've got a friend who lives up the road, he is more than willing to help me put it together (hes done it before), so it should be alright.I'm just trying to get this slack iso downloaded....bittorrent is taking forever :hmm:

I've got a friend who lives up the road, he is more than willing to help me put it together (hes done it before), so it should be alright.
Just take your time and you should be fine :whistling: Just remeber one very important thing...Since you bought a Retail Processor, make sure you remove any protective tape that made be covering the Thermal Pad on the bottom of the heatsink. Forgetting it is almost a sure way to fry your new processor.If your going to use a different Heatsink/Fan than the one included, I would get some ceramique from arctic silver as the thermal paste. Its not conductive, so you won't short the processor if you apply too much by accident.Good Luck :whistling:

martinultima

Too bad you didn't decide to just get two separate drives... I myself have a Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive in my Dell computer (one of the many upgrades I've given it :thumbsup: ) and have never had a problem with it. I use it quite frequently, too - works beautifully on Windows, even better on Linux :"> Oh well - DVD burners sound cool too.(I'm so jealous - the only system I've built myself is an old 486 that I really got in one piece, then took apart and re-built! Of course, the next computer I own will be built with my own two hands... :clap2:

NeilLooks like a great system..I think you'll like the results.. ;) I know I don't regret doing a AMD64 system(and I really have to give credit to you folk that build your own..I just don't have that kind of fortitude.....same reason I can't golf...no patience!!! B) Heck I get impatient changing a DVD..muchless a DVD drive) :P Anyway...enjoy...and get a good set of seatbelts!!!!!!!!!FYI..I have found Mandrake 64 to be a bit faster(especially on boot-up) than SuSE 9.1 Pro...and Slack 10 on par with Drake..there are still some quirks in the 64bit distros...(I've had some issues with Fedora 64bit, and fedora based 64bit distros haven't had a successful load yet...but it's probably me and not the distro)SuSe loaded the Nvidia driver, I haven't had luck with Mandrake yet..(it's a known issue) and I could probably do it wilth a kernel upgrade..but haven't done so. Mandrake saw my entire network and was seen...Suse see's the network, but doesn't show-up itself....(still have to figured that one out..again it's probably me)Getting DVD's to run (encrypted ones) in Suse has not worked....and isn't good in Mandrake either...non-encrypted are fine. Didn't try in slack

Hmm, maybe I'll look into Mandrake and SUSE's 64 bit offerrings.....newegg sent me an email yesterday, one of two boxes of stuff is already shipped! Everything but the case and the monitor should be here no later than Thursday at 4:30PM....:w00tx100:Neil

Hmm, maybe I'll look into Mandrake and SUSE's 64 bit offerrings.....newegg sent me an email yesterday, one of two boxes of stuff is already shipped! Everything but the case and the monitor should be here no later than Thursday at 4:30PM....:w00tx100:Neil
Hardware build party! :P Just remember if you need help building this beast you know where we are! ;)

Well that's a lot of posts.Here's my 2 cents. Everything goes out of date at some point. Fast as **** PC's are only fast for a short time. Build it to last. Buy quality. With that said skip the 80GB HGST drives and go with WD's or Seagate 120GB SATA's. I have had to many failures from Maxtor and IBM/HGST to tell a budget minded person to use them. Go with ATI's 9700 or 9800 series cards. They are coming into a great price point now that the next generation cards are out. I would drop in a TV tuner also. This way you can do PVR functions and other Multimedia stuff on it. If cost is an option then 512MB is really all you need. Skip the dual drive thing unless they are both going to be burners. Get the DVD+RW at any speed first. This out weighs the cost of a standalone DVD and CDRW. With a better drive and a TV out card you can skip the DVD player and VCR in your Dorm. Finally go Intel all the way. Intel chip set is a must. Use a P4 in the 2.6 to 3GHz area. This is going to be your only PC so make it relieable. Yes AMD's are good and fast but stibility comes first on a lone PC. Finally get good software packages for it. Since you are building from scratch get the OEM versions of what ever you need while you are buying all the parts. I know you can get the student copies but why bother.Good luck in the fall at U of P.Chris