How do I get IE to not re-use active windows?

GolfProRM

Suffering here at work using IE (they've locked our computers, so we're stuck using IE :blink: ), I usually have a web-radio window open (espnradio.com), but whenever I click on a link that opens a new window, it uses my radio window, and then I have to restart the radio again. I want this to stop!!I've found that if I open the radio window, then close all instances of IE and reopen them, it saves me some of the time (until I go to open an .html link from my desktop and it uses my radio window). Is there any setting for IE (registry or otherwise) that will prevent IE from re-using active windows when opening links?

Paracelsus, he's talking about launching a file that opens in the browser, not a link on a webpage.GolfProRM, there is a setting for this in the Internet Options.Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Under Browsing, uncheck Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts

Thanks Epp... That helps. Now my desktop links won't cause problems.There is still the occasion when I click on a link that creates a pop-up window when it re-uses the pop-up window from something else.Ex: http://www.espnradio.com - click on Listen now - opens media player popupThen go to http://www.espn.com click on Tour Tracker for Tour de France - overrides the popup window from the previous site.It doesn't do it all the time, but about 1 out of 5 tries.

Actually, if they're pop-ups, that's generally handled by the internal programming of the website (in which case, there's nothing you can do about it). I tried exactly what you said - and they opened in separate windows. Try restarting your browser, or maybe even you computer.

Actually, if they're pop-ups, that's generally handled by the internal programming of the website (in which case, there's nothing you can do about it).  I tried exactly what you said - and they opened in separate windows.  Try restarting your browser, or maybe even you computer.
I've done both, many times... It's not a huge deal, since I fixed the main problem, and it's by no means consistent, so it's hard to troubleshoot.Thanks for the help though!

From my PFF days (pre Firefox) hold down the shift key whenever you click on a link in IE and a new window opens. I surfed this way all the time.

Opening a link in a new window is different than a javascript window (which is what GolfProRM is trying to figure out). A javascript window is one that's resized or otherwise manipulated. You cannot use "Open in New Window" for these types of links. GolfProRM, I would be led to believe that this is simply a result of the programming of the websites you are visiting.