Another 1st time SuSE installation

bjf123

I've been following Prelude76's exploits on installing SuSE as a dual boot on his Windows box. I'm about to start the installation on mine. If I run into any problems, I'll be back. Luckily, I've got a Mac at home, too, so I'll still be able to get back here if the Win box can't connect. Wish me luck! :)

i can sorta help you out if you start install tonite.if you have Nvidia card, let me know. there is a tricky yet fairly easy to follow instructions for installing latest nvidia driver to get 3D acceleration working. dont use SuSE's driver or normal installation from nvidia site. let me know if you have an nvidia card, i'll go look for the instructions and post them.also, dont worry, as long as GRUB is picked, the multi-boot was a piece of cake (and i have already win98/winxp multiboot, which still works).let us know how it went, and good luck :)

First question, and I haven't really started yet. I remember reading that you should defrag the drive before starting. In running Norton's Speed Disk, it looks like I've got data / files at the beginning and end of the drive, if the map is accurate, with a bunch of free space in the middle. Will that be a problem when SuSE wants to partition the drive? It's a 19GB drive with about 12GB free.

what do you have now? just one 19gb partition?I had my second drive, 20gb, already split into 2 partitions, and i cleared out and deleted the second one (13gb) and made all linux partitions on that drivei dont know much about suse splitting an existing partition, i just used Partition Magice a while ago to repartiton drives.the way Partition Magic works is that it moves all files to front or back and then splits it, so with PM anyways, defragging shouldnt make a difference. I dont know how Suse does it.greengeek, do u have any tips on this?

here is some suse partition infohttp://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/thallma_partition.htmlhttp://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_en.cg...hwort=partitionand this bit of infoIf you want to install Linux on the same hard drive as Windows and be able to "dual boot" into either one, you'll need to resize your Windows partition to make room for new partitions for Linux. First though you of course you should back up everything. Partition Magic is a commercial Windows application that resizes and creates partitions without erasing the data, but the Suse and Mandrake installers apparently will also be able to resize partitions too. Click on the icon for your hard drive to see if you have a FAT32 or an NTFS partition. NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary format that the Linux distributions are only recently able to handle. The installers for the new Suse and Mandrake versions will be able to resize NTFS partitions too, so you may not even need Partition Magic.so basically, it *should* resize your partition safely. i dont think you need to run defrag, but you could to be safe. maybe post a defrag and partition question in "tough questions" forums and see what response u get.good luck

Aparently it works like a charm, but I get goosebumps when I see or hear someone resizing partitions with data on themHD's have come long way and you can get some dirt cheap ones with huge size.I have several disks always ready around for my experiments, thank god :rolleyes:

I'm back, and posting this via Konqueror! I do have one problem (that I know of). My screen resolution is set such that I can't see the bottom of the screen. I'm assuming there's something down there like the Windows toolbar or the Mac dock. I know there is on the RedHat system at work. How do I change those settings?

in the hardware area of YaST you will find graphics setup, and in there, you can set a lower resolution (mine defaulted to 1280, and i prefer 1024x768). you can also set external limits of screen.when u log on, you should pick KDE desktop, and in KDE mode, there should be a toolbar along bottom, starting with green icon of lizard (?) and green icon of lightning flash.

bjf123: first, congrats on pretty smooth install, since u did manage to re-partition and connect to the forum thru linux. how did SuSE's re-partitioning work? does your windows still work? :rolleyes:

Thanks! I lucked out by dragging the mouse off the bottom of the screen and clicking around until the SuSE work menu popped up and I could select Administration and adjust the settings from there.I'm able to see my Windows drive, and am able to open Word and Excel files from there in Open Office, which is pretty neat. My printer is configured and working. The sound card didn't configure at installation, so I'll have to do that. Other than that, everything is looking good.

how did SuSE's re-partitioning work?  does your windows still work?  :rolleyes:
Windows still works just fine. I'm posting this after booting into Win98. My 19GB drive now reports as being 11.1GB. The initial linux configuration wanted to take all of the free space left on the windows drive, so I manually adjusted that to leave some space on the C: drive. Now I need to figure out how the linux partitions ended up. I was trying to follow some of the advice in one of the other threads, but didn't get options to select all of the items suggested. How can I see if /home is a different partition than / and the swap file?

how did SuSE's re-partitioning work?  does your windows still work?  ;)
Windows still works just fine. I'm posting this after booting into Win98. My 19GB drive now reports as being 11.1GB. The initial linux configuration wanted to take all of the free space left on the windows drive, so I manually adjusted that to leave some space on the C: drive. Now I need to figure out how the linux partitions ended up. I was trying to follow some of the advice in one of the other threads, but didn't get options to select all of the items suggested. How can I see if /home is a different partition than / and the swap file?
Go to Applications > Monitoring and see if you have "KDiskFree". This will tell the free space on all your partitions; in lieu of that, try the Hardware section of Control Center. It's probably somewhere else, also, but those are two choices. :rolleyes: Hope you find it.

bjf123Congratulations with your new SuSE ! From what I read everything was smooth and you´re on line, brilliant !I hope you´re finding your way around the new programs you come across, and have fun doing so.I see Prelude76, Zox, Greengeek and Quint have answered most of the questions you had. Reading all the post in this thread I can´t find any left open. So all I can do is tell you: sit back, look at your screen, smile and say: ¨wel done bjf123, well done !¨B) BrunoPS: thanks to all the people jumping in to help our new Linux user bjf123 !

Go to Applications > Monitoring and see if you have "KDiskFree". This will tell the free space on all your partitions; in lieu of that, try the Hardware section of Control Center. It's probably somewhere else, also, but those are two choices. B) Hope you find it.
No luck with either of those. I'm sure it's here somewhere, though.

bjf123:Open a console and type:< df -h >This will shw you all partitions, their names and sizes + free space.Hope this answers your question. B) Bruno

Looks like one partition? <df -h> shows the following:Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/hda6 7.4G 1.5G 5.9G 20% //dev/hda1 12G 7.3G 4.0G 66% /windows/Cshmfs 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shmAlso, someone e-mailed me an avi file that I thought I'd try viewing under linux. I got a Fatal Error: MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: key_events. In English that means....... B) The plot thickens. After clicking OK on the Fatal Error, I got the following: MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM. Recompile Mplayer with --enable-debug and make 'gdb' backtrace and disassembly. For details see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash.b

Looks like one partition?  <df -h> shows  the following:Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/hda6            7.4G  1.5G  5.9G  20% //dev/hda1              12G  7.3G  4.0G  66% /windows/Cshmfs                125M    0  125M  0% /dev/shmAlso, someone e-mailed me an avi file that I thought I'd try viewing under linux.  I got a Fatal Error: MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: key_events.  In English that means....... B)  The plot thickens.  After clicking OK on the Fatal Error, I got the following: MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.  Recompile Mplayer with --enable-debug and make 'gdb' backtrace and disassembly.  For details see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash.b
It looks indeed that you have set up only one partition during install for Linux ! ( don´t know how you managed to do that ?? )As for Mplayer: have you got the right plugin to play avi files ?Do some research here:http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ http://mplayer.sourceforge.net/ http://www.mplayerhq.hu http://mplayerhq.hu/B) Bruno

PS: thanks to all the people jumping in to help our new Linux user bjf123 !
hehe... we figured you needed some sleep, and it was about 5am amsterdam time. B)

Looks like one partition?  <df -h> shows  the following:Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/hda6          7.4G  1.5G  5.9G  20% //dev/hda1              12G  7.3G  4.0G  66% /windows/Cshmfs              125M  0  125M 0% /dev/shmAlso, someone e-mailed me an avi file that I thought I'd try viewing under linux.  I got a Fatal Error: MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: key_events.  In English that means....... B)  The plot thickens.  After clicking OK on the Fatal Error, I got the following: MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.  Recompile Mplayer with --enable-debug and make 'gdb' backtrace and disassembly.  For details see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash.b
It looks indeed that you have set up only one partition during install for Linux ! ( don´t know how you managed to do that ?? )As for Mplayer: have you got the right plugin to play avi files ?Do some research here:http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ http://mplayer.sourceforge.net/ http://www.mplayerhq.hu http://mplayerhq.hu/B) Bruno
actually, i had the same problem, but i figured since its a DiVX or Xvid video, i doubt Linux has those by default. I'm gonna check out the plugins too.see, we still need you, Bruno. B)

we figured you needed some sleep, and it was about 5am amsterdam time.  B)
You´re so right Prelude76, if everybody thinks of my health as you do I´ll have many many more years to live. B) B) Bruno

It looks indeed that you have set up only one partition during install for Linux ! ( don´t know how you managed to do that ?? )
Neither do I. I didn't see any options to change that during the install. Is there a safe way to "undo" that? I was hoping to get a setup like was suggested in another thread, with /home being on a different partition.

bjf123I suggest you use this as a test install, play, mess around with it till it finaly crashes ( hard work ! ) Then at a new install we´ll get you set up on better partitions !As you´re new to Linux, some day you will get a fatal crash, time enough for a re-install then ! B)( just back up on a regular basis what´s important in your /home directory ) B) B) Bruno

during my install, i click on change partition, and it was under EXPORT button where i found all thatto get to it now in SuSE, click on Lightning Icon, Administration, YaST2 Control Centrem, System, Partitionerthen select your Linux partition (hda6 for you, the one with just "/" meaning root) and click Resize. with about 7.4GB to play withkeep only what you need for "/" (your root), i forget what the guide said. 1 gig? and then with the rest free,select free space, click Create partition, chooser Resier or ext3 format (both are good), and under mount point, type /usr, and repeat for /homeit pick start cylinder, and for end cylinder, u can type 5GB for example instead of cylinder number.does that all make sense? good luck