Linux Fringe distros.

abarbarian

V.T. Eric Layton
45 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Given the chance, I would be the first to sign up for a direct implant into the net.

Make sure you get the high encryption model with the built-in VPN. You wouldn't want some pimply-faced little kid with pizza stains all over his fingers hackin' into your brain while you were driving down Interstate 10. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Make sure you get the high encryption model with the built-in VPN. You wouldn't want some pimply-faced little kid with pizza stains all over his fingers hackin' into your brain while you were driving down Interstate 10. ;)

Open source all the way.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Given the chance, I would be the first to sign up for a direct implant into the net.

NO! Just no. I prefer to remain 100% biological.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

PsychOS: A Crazy Cool Distro That Pushes Linux Limits

One of the great joys of constantly checking out new or obscure Linux operating systems is finding some insane innovations that stand out from the crowded collection of distros. The current release of PsychOS Linux, code-named “Insane,” possibly might blow your mind.

This distro is really an off-the-wall project with the potential to become a thing unto itself. PsychOS is a systemd-free, GNU/Linux operating system based on Devuan ASCII — a fork of Debian Linux.

PsychOS Linux is a strange duck in the Linux distro world. It is very retro-esque.

Even if you consider yourself a retrophile, however, PsychOS may not be for you. It is developed for older hardware and is available only for 32-bit computers. The developer has no immediate plans to release a 64-bit version.

Perfect for that old pc gathering dust in the corner.

😜

Been playing around with Emmabuntüs DE3-1.02, based on Debian 10, running live sessions from a flash drive. I like this distro and what the project appears to be all about. I have no plans for doing an installation -- I prefer to "build up" from a Debian netinstall -- but Emmabuntüs comes packed with tools and I think it'll be nice to have it around on a flash drive. Kinda reminds me of MX Linux, but coming at things from a different angle.

A review of the DE3-1.00 release: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20191118#emmabuntus

Release announcement for DE3-1.02: https://emmabuntus.org/on-june-15-2020-emmade3-1-02-with-xfce-lxqt-environments/

Edited by saturnian
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I have more than enough "psycho" in my life at the moment.

Well, you are a Slacker..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saturnian said:

Been playing around with Emmabuntüs DE3-1.02, based on Debian 10, running live sessions from a flash drive. I like this distro and what the project appears to be all about. I have no plans for doing an installation -- I prefer to "build up" from a Debian netinstall -- but Emmabuntüs comes packed with tools and I think it'll be nice to have it around on a flash drive. Kinda reminds me of MX Linux, but coming at things from a different angle.

A review of the DE3-1.00 release: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20191118#emmabuntus

Release announcement for DE3-1.02: https://emmabuntus.org/on-june-15-2020-emmade3-1-02-with-xfce-lxqt-environments/

Neat find and a nice way of helping folk.

I have made their Lilo search engine my default for a while as it is such an easy way to give them some support.

https://emmabuntus.org/soutenir/

😎

23 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I have more than enough "psycho" in my life at the moment.

I have something that will put a smile on your face then. Try my best wallpaper,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nkwwyzf3rgxq8n/batestest.mkv?dl=0

😝

On second thoughts this may be better,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqip7o74mpwr7r8/breathtest.mkv?dl=0

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Ophcrack LiveCD

Ophcrack LiveCD 3.6.0 is a completely self-contained, bootable version of Ophcrack 3.6.0 — the easiest and most effective tool that I've ever found to "crack" your forgotten Windows password.

This little gem is based on Slitaz. I burnt the os to a usb and it works well with  MBR pc's but did not fire uo on a UEFI pc.

I built a Windows 7 pc for my sister based on my own main pc when I did an upgrade. Several years later I built her another pc and inherited the first pc I had built her. It has been sat in a corner gathering dust as I have been dual booting on my main rig. However due to W7 borking itself during an update I have been left windowless. No big deal as Arch is fulfilling nearly all my needs apart from running Garmin Express which I need to run to update my sat nav. It seems I may be able to use a penguin to run Garmin Express but the searches I made regarding this were inconclusive.

So I blew a way the dust and tried to log in to my trusty ol Athlon 3400+ 64 bit pc equipped with a super cheap ssd. Start up time was not too bad at all but I could not remember the password so could not log on. There was no admin account or a guest account just the SilverSurfer account (me sister is three years older than me and has started to go grey in her jet black hair an she just loved the log on name🤣)

Phoned said sis and asked if she had changed the log on password, nope not as far as she remembered, had I tried the substituting numbers for letters trick, yes I had, and the capital letters trick too.

So I went searching for a solution that did not entail doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

Found the ophcrack program and used a 1GB usb stick to run the Live version and it worked well. Eventually I installed it to a 8GB usb disk drive and it worked well from there too.

However I did not find the "tables file" and spent some time trying to find them and have them useable plus I had to find the relevant Windows file to. After some messing around it struck me that I could just have used the Arch ophcrack package and installed it on my main rig.

85ZhUff.png

Where it took a whole 11 seconds to find a 9 letter password.

Curious to see how long it would take when running from the Live USB on my Athlon 3400+, I had figured out how to do things right by then, I found that it only took 4 mins 19 secs. Which I recon is not too bad considering how old the pc is.

So now I have a working Windows I hope I can do me Garmin stuff on it with no problems.

I was pretty impressed with the Slitaz ophcrack Live os even running on an old pc from a usb it was smooth and responsive, shame about the non UEFI boot though.

😎

Edited by abarbarian

• 4 weeks later...

AutoTux is a Real Distro With a ‘No Hands’ Linux Installer

AutoTux is a fully automated Linux distribution that is literally a hands-off event from start to finish. It goes a long way to adopting Linux a no-brainer for Windows and macOS converts.

AutoTux’s chief function is to get new users up and running efficiently with no prior knowledge needed beyond how to convert the free ISO download to DVD or a bootable USB drive. Of course, an organization or family member can easily provide targeted users with an already-prepared installation disk to remove that potential barrier.

Either way, AutoTux introduces new users — students or otherwise — to the world of open source computing. This distro can be a win-win proposition all around.

WARNING! Read This Before Trying at Home

The installation DVD or USB is potentially dangerous to an existing computer’s contents. Seriously, this installation process is not like a typical Linux live session.

AutoTux does NOT have a live session environment. When you turn on the computer with the DVD or USB inserted, AutoTux will take a minute or two to boot the system and will then immediately begin to install Debian 10 Linux. This process is irreversible. No warning message or pause will wait for your confirmation to go ahead with the automatic installation.

Installation is simple. You have nothing to do once you insert the installation medium and turn on your computer. The installation process takes about 30 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer. No network connection is needed to get online, since all packages are on the installation media.

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

When you turn on the computer with the DVD or USB inserted, AutoTux will take a minute or two to boot the system and will then immediately begin to install Debian 10 Linux. This process is irreversible.

Scary. I foresee a bunch of people trashing their Windows.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

New GeckoLinux Rolling Editions Are Out Now, Based on openSUSE Tumbleweed

GeckoLinux Rolling editions are the most up-to-date ISO releases of the openSUSE-based distribution. GeckoLinux Rolling is available in seven variants with the KDE Plasma 5.19, GNOME 3.36, Xfce 4.14, Cinnamon 4.4, MATE 1.24, and LXQt 0.15 desktop environments, as well as BareBones flavor with the IceWM window manager.

This GeckoLinux Rolling release is generated from unmodified openSUSE Tumbleweed and Packman repositories, which not only means that they’re up to date with all the latest software versions included, but it also makes it possible for users to update their installations using the official upstream repositories.

😎

• Agree 1

securitybreach
12 hours ago, abarbarian said:

So what is the difference between this and Tumbleweed? Tumbleweed was already a rolling release and they never say what the difference is (or maybe I missed it), they just keep saying that it is based on Tumbleweed.

It appears Tumbleweed ships with Plasma 5.18.5 LTS but Gecko Rolling has Plasma 5.19. Didn't look at the other versions. It is possible to add repos to Tumbleweed to get the latest Plasma as well so that's no differentiation.

The Gecko Linux website has a list of what is different from OpenSuse.

It offers 6 different versions with different DEs which is a negative IMO. The more versions a distro supports, the less they get right.

• Agree 2
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Yeah, focus on one thing and then offer the packages if you want them.                  

• +1 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 9:38 PM, sunrat said:

It offers 6 different versions with different DEs which is a negative IMO. The more versions a distro supports, the less they get right.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:03 AM, securitybreach said:

Yeah, focus on one thing and then offer the packages if you want them.                  

Yep!

• Agree 1

I mentioned Emmabuntüs DE3 in this thread a couple of months ago. Since then, I installed it on my "test" machine. Based on Debian Stable.

Something about this distro keeps grabbing me. Emmabuntüs ships with way too much stuff for my tastes. I've been slowly removing things and turning things off. It comes with both LXQt and Xfce, and I've mainly been using LXQt. Partly because I prefer PCManFM over Thunar any day.

From the Emmabuntüs website:

This distribution was designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers donated to humanitarian associations, in particular to the Emmaüs communities (hence its name) and to promote the discovery of GNU / Linux by beginners, but also to extend the life of the equipment for limit the waste caused by the overconsumption of raw materials.

Emmabuntüs is used for the reuse of computers by many associations in France and Africa.

And I think that's what I'm finding attractive about this distro (and about Linux in general, of course!). Yeah, it ships with too much stuff, but considering what they're trying to do, that's probably a good thing. Lots of tools available to help deal with problematic hardware, and plenty of apps included for users to be able to get to work right away.

I definitely prefer to start with a netinstall and build up, but users don't always have time for all that. It can be nice to have everything all set up for you, out of the box. I'm always interested in distros based on Debian Stable. I don't think I know enough about Emmabuntüs to be recommending it to people, but I do think it could turn out to be useful here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did an installation with SharpBang the other day. It's closer to the old CrunchBang than what I'm seeing in BunsenLabs. I guess SharpBang isn't so much a "distro" as it is an installer. It's just the iso, no forums and all the rest. The end result here was Debian Buster, with a newer kernel from backports, and with a very simple Openbox setup along the lines of what CrunchBang used to ship with. There's no special SharpBang branding or anything; just looks like Debian, and the installer itself is Debian's.

https://head-on-a-stick.github.io/

https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/SharpBang

I like SharpBang's nice, simple live session, run from a flash drive. It's already come in handy. But there are a lot of good options for live sessions these days, including MX and BunsenLabs.

Head-on-a-Stick is an active admin on Debian User Forums. Very knowledgable person. I have too many variously tweaked Debian installations currently to do any distro surfing. 😁

On 9/14/2020 at 8:16 AM, sunrat said:

I have too many variously tweaked Debian installations currently to do any distro surfing. 😁

Same here, and I wasn't planning on adding this installation. Kinda on a whim, I picked up another cheap laptop, but my first installation attempt on it failed (tried a Buster netinstall, then added Openbox). I had used the SharpBang live session to partition the drive, so I plugged that flash drive back in and took a shot at installing it, to see what would happen.

It worked. I suspect that the older kernel from Stable won't boot this laptop, but the newer one from Backports does. On this system I installed with SharpBang, I actually went back and installed the current kernel from Stable and then tried to boot with it. Same results as with the earlier Buster netinstall, couldn't boot with it.

But, yeah, I have too many installations. It seems to be a serious addiction, ha-ha!