VPN

zlim

I think it is time to learn how to set up and use VPN.

Post any links to Dummy type information because I'm starting at the beginning.

Assume I know nothing and you'll be pretty close to my knowledge level.

Thanks in advance. :lol:

You misunderstood - I do not want VPN software suggestions, I want reading material to see about setting up a VPN.

Ah, I still think I'm in trouble. From your page, I started to read and saw

Intended Audience

This HOWTO assumes that readers possess a prior understanding of basic networking concepts such as IP addresses, DNS names, netmasks, subnets, IP routing, routers, network interfaces, LANs, gateways, and firewall rules.

So I need something to read before i even read this. :wacko:

I'll go through some of the links and see if they lead to something more basic.

Is there a Dummies Book? Because that's where I'm at.

Hello,

First things first, where would you like to host the VPN server? Are you planning on running it at home? On a dedicated server at a hosting provider? Somewhere else?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

would you like to host the VPN server?
No. I will want to connect to a VPN that someone else is running. I'm aware that there is a fee and do not mind paying for security. I was looking over things like hotspot shield, VprVPN, NordVPN and PureVPN.

Here's my mindest: free wifi hotspots are dangerous places. When I take a netbook (Win 7 or linux) or my Android tablet on the road, I will use a VPN so I have less change of my traffic being sniffed and passwords stolen.

I do not do much more than email and surfing and all passwords are different but I don't want account info stolen.

Hi zim I came across this today which will alow you to surf out in the wild safely.However it does require you to have a pc running at home.

How to Create a SOCKS Proxy through an SSH Tunnel

"How to create a what through a what?" Yeah, that's what I said when I first heard about this trick, too, but don't worry, it's much much easier than you think. In fact the only hard part about this trick is the physical requirements; you must have access to your own personal server with SSH access.

Put those two concepts together and you have a server sitting safely in your home or workplace or data center, and it's speaking to the Internet. And then you have yourself sitting in a cyber café talking through an encrypted tunnel to that server. So you get to see all the super secret internet business you are doing, without the fear of some outside snooper eavesdropping on you, thanks to your encrypted tunnel.

:fish:

• Like 1

When I leave the house, I turn the computers off so that isn't something I would use.

I don't even have the computers share files between themselves.

Edited by zlim