good thing nothing happened in the Tech world the week we were offline

crp

securitybreach

So what you're saying is that it was an average week in tech?

Always something. And our government's data breach has now impacted upwards of 22 million citizens.
  • Like 1

That's the number they've been forced to admit to. Remember when this first came to light it was only 8 million. I have an ugly feeling the real number is a secret they will keep a long time.

• Like 1

That's the number they've been forced to admit to. Remember when this first came to light it was only 8 million. I have an ugly feeling the real number is a secret they will keep a long time.

i think the first number was less than 3 million.

To me the biggest story of the week was the Reddit revolt. Strange as i never used Reddit and really don't understand its purpose. Still, nice to see that the volunteers who actually made the site hum finally got listened to.Though i don't think the story is close to finished.

• Like 1

no major announcements, no data breaches. Nope , nothing happened. whew.

Oh I don't know about that.

I managed to find the time to work out how to get my windows to focus with a click anywhere in the window as opposed to clicking the top bar of the window.That is a pretty major newsworthy item.

An there is this neat niche tit bit,

4MLinux 13.0 Screencast:

http://4mlinux.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-4mlinux-desktop.html

http://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.ca/2015/07/4mlinux-130-stable-released.html

The status of the 4MLinux 13.0 series has been changed to STABLE. Major changes in the core of the system, which now uses GNU Compiler Collection 5.1.0 to compile programs designed for the i686 architecture. Additionally, I am very happy to announce that my long work on improving the 4MLinux Desktop has been finished. 4MLinux users can now enojoy the result of this work: a unique, highly customized mixture of JWM (Joe's Window Manager), Window Maker and PCManFM

Now that is a very important piece of news as it announces a distro that uses Window Maker as part of the main look of the distro. This could herald the resurgence of WM as a leading player again. :breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

i think the first number was less than 3 million.

To me the biggest story of the week was the Reddit revolt. Strange as i never used Reddit and really don't understand its purpose. Still, nice to see that the volunteers who actually made the site hum finally got listened to.Though i don't think the story is close to finished.

As a long time Reditter (got the 6 year trophy), I read through all the craziness... That said, she really screwed up and the community forced her to resign.

Reddit is like a living machine. The site gets the largest amount of traffic of any website in history and can easily bring down the largest network with a flood of users trying to visit a site linked to from Reddit. In May alone, they were 163,966,958 unique IP addresses and 7,086,828,967 pageviews on Reddit. Think about that for a moment... That is insane. https://www.reddit.com/about/

Well when you screw up as bad as she did, you could lose millions of users all at once

securitybreach
This could herald the resurgence of WM as a leading player again. :breakfast:

That sounds good but you honestly, I do not think WM will become popular unless they do a complete overhaul. I know you can configure it immensely but it looks the same way it did over 10 years ago. Even the website hasnt really been updated in many years. Now if they go crazy and do some major changes, they would probably get to that point again but without that; I really think it will stay a niche environment.

securitybreach

I am amazed that I have never heard of 4MLinux as their on their 13th release. Also, is this a modular live environment as I noticed all the apps were being loaded at boot along with their configurations?

This could herald the resurgence of WM as a leading player again. :breakfast:

That sounds good but you honestly, I do not think WM will become popular unless they do a complete overhaul. I know you can configure it immensely but it looks the same way it did over 10 years ago. Even the website hasnt really been updated in many years. Now if they go crazy and do some major changes, they would probably get to that point again but without that; I really think it will stay a niche environment.

Oh ye of little faith, WM will rule supreme in possibly an alternate universe. :Muahaha:

I am amazed that I have never heard of 4MLinux as their on their 13th release. Also, is this a modular live environment as I noticed all the apps were being loaded at boot along with their configurations?

You can run 4M installed to a 1 GB partition as any normal distro which gives you persistence. I burnt a cd and have it a whirl and once loaded it is darn nippy. I may give an install a try. :breakfast:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...