Today's networking problem - NOT wifi

zlim

Well Comcast might have different dns's but I know that the ones I gave you work for me.Did you open command again and run the command "ipconfig /flushdns" ?flushing in win2k does not hurt anything.You can test connection to the router in a few way's. Easiest is try to ping it. Open a command window and type ping 192.168.1.1 or you can type in the address in your browser. I'm confused. You are running winME on a laptop and on another partition win2000? Another partition on the same laptop? If so why? ME is terrible. Also when you say ethernet do you mean wired eithernet vs. WiFi?

I'm running ME, not by choice - it was installed on the purchased laptop. I was having a terrible time getting 2K installed. I did not want to do it from within windows. (I wanted to see how it went on a blank partion because I have an older nb with 98SE on it that I can't get 2K installed on so I was doing the install on the newer nb because I know it will install). Eventually I will either wipe ME off completely or upgrade ME to XP (I've already gone that route a few years earlier).ME is running wifi. Since I just installed 2K and couldn't get it to work with ethernet, I didn't want to complicate the situation by trying to install wifi software and troubleshoot that. I tend to want 1 thing to work before I move onto the next problem. So yup, ME surfs fine with a wifi card (or should I say did - last night all my folders refuse to open, for some reason they are in the restricted zone now and active x is diabled - that will be this week's problem) and the 2K surfs with ethernet wire, provided ZA is disabled - I'm still trying to figure out what I need to tweak to keep ZA running and bring up an internet page.I will eventually do what you suggest about the ipconfig /flushdns and let you know what happens. First I need to fix the ME partion. So if I don't surface for a few days, you know what I'm working on.Well, this is too weird...I'm typing from the ME part, now all the files open. I did not change a thing. I tried it with and without the wifi card just to see if that made a difference - nope. So I guess I am forced to work on the 2K partition/ZA/surf problem. LOL. My nb has more than just Ghost software - I think it's haunted! :teehee:Here is a shot pinging the router http://mercury.walagata.com/w/perk/Scot_links/ping1.jpgas you see that works fine with ZA on. I can't get on the internet either using Firefox or IE. With Firefox, I get a blank white page with IE I get the usual, this page can't be displayed.When I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser, it puts http in front of it, the password box pops up and when I enter the info, I get the router setup boxes. Is that normal?

Liz, if ZoneAlarm is the culprit then you should open ZoneAlarm (right-click on the Task Tray icon and select Restore ZoneAlarm). Go to the Log tab and look at the entries. Look for ones that shows blocked DNS traffic (port 53) or any traffic blocked from the router to your notebook. Right-click on those and add them to the Trusted Zone. Some of the default settings in ZA prevent access out-of-the-box.

And the weirdness continues...it must be something in ZA. Here's what I did, shut it down, then restarted it and I'm able to surf. Apparently when it loads at startup, it is missing something.Note: I did not flush the dns and changed no other settings. All I did was close it down and then open it again from the program list.ZA is a pain to remove and reinstall so I may just try to disable at startup, reboot, select enable at startup and see if it fixes itself. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

When I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser, it puts http in front of it, the password box pops up and when I enter the info, I get the router setup boxes. Is that normal?
Yes. The router is running a web server so you can change its settings. :rolleyes:

Seems like what I did fixed it. Now I can load ZA at startup and surf. I guess the next step is to cut the wire and install the wifi software. Take a deep breath, here I go again, LOL :w00t:wifi card installed flawlessly, very much different from the ME install on the same nb.For a few brief moments everything is working correctly on all the computers! :rolleyes: I guess that means I'll have to install some more software on the 2K part to see if I can mess things up again.A hearty thank-you to everyone here who helped with my networking ups and downs!!!At one point I felt I would never get the wifi card working and would be forever attached to the router. It is nice to take the nb outside and surf from the patio.

Make sure you image all those systems now that they are working zlim. There should be an option to backup the router's config that you should do also.

You've read my thoughts. I've installed Ghost but my Toshiba doesn't like my old favorite software (Adaptec v. 4, only in 2K it works fine in the ME part) so now I'm going to look at burning software (I have Roxio v 6 but I don't like it). Everyone raves about how easy Nero is and someone let me try their's - my computer chokes on it.Once I have figured out a burning program I like and it likes my computer, I will Ghost the setup. I also have tons of notes on the router/ethernet/wifi setup with detailed instructions of settings to put in. Now that it is all working, watch the cable go out from a thunderstorm and I get a new address! :thumbsup: :drooling: :drooling:

You've read my thoughts. I've installed Ghost but my Toshiba doesn't like my old favorite software (Adaptec v. 4, only in 2K it works fine in the ME part) so now I'm going to look at burning software (I have Roxio v 6 but I don't like it). Everyone raves about how easy Nero is and someone let me try their's - my computer chokes on it.Once I have figured out a burning program I like and it likes my computer, I will Ghost the setup. I also have tons of notes on the router/ethernet/wifi setup with detailed instructions of settings to put in. Now that it is all working, watch the cable go out from a thunderstorm and I get a new address!  :thumbsup:  :drooling:  :drooling:
Really? You don't like Roxio 6? I use it constantly and find it to be Adaptec/Roxio's best version. I haven't tried 7 yet to know if it's even better, but I read a review that was positive. Version 7 apparently has a cleaner and easier to use interface.

Peachy, maybe it's time for me to clean off all the remnants of the burning programs on my desktop, do a clean install of Roxio v. 6 and see if I like it any better. (Could be that something upgraded from 4 and didn't install properly).EdP, not quite sure why you linked me to BootItNG??? I looked at that a year or so ago, didn't like it and since I have PartionMagic7, BootMagic works fine for my boot up options.I guess today's project is uninstall burning software, clean out the registry, look a few more times to make sure no cobwebs are any where and then do a clean install.

zlim, you said you were having problems imaging/Ghosting your various systems. Well, BootIt NG > "Imaging (including directly to CD-R/RW or DVD+R+RW-R-RW)" would address the problem across all your systems.

My problems Ghosting stems from the fact that I need to find a burning program that works with my Toshiba burner. It isn't a problem with Ghost. I think I may have a program. When I purchased the XP upgrade CD from HP, they included software because some of the programs in ME would not work with XP. One of the programs they included was NTI Backup Now. I have to take a look at it and see if I can use it. It would be sad to think I had a perfect backup only to discover that when I needed it - it wasn't correct because I blew the burn process.

Liz,what version of Ghost do you have? It shouldn't have any problem with any other software since Ghost is usually run in DOS, especially when writing to CD-R/RW and DVD+R/+RW.

I didn't get to this today - we had paperhangers here so I was busy cleaning and setting the house back in order when they were finished.I have Ghost 2003 and I was following the tutorial. I decided I would try it when I had an uninterupted block of time. Thanks for letting me know it doesn't need burner software.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I just happend the stumble onto this problem. I dont know if you got it resolved or not, but I use Zonealarm, and it is kinda a pain. But it is easy, your router has an ip address of it's own on your LAN, therefore Zonealarm see's it as another computer, and blocks it. You have to tell it not to block it, and it's pretty simple. Just double click the Zonealarm icon on your system tray and the control screen comes up. Go to firewall, then the tab "zones". Down on the bottom click add, then ip address. Enter your routers ip address and name below the ip entry, i named mine "router" you can name it what you like. once you finish entering the information click ok, then apply and your done. Zonealarm should now let your router in. I hope this helped. Do the same when using file sharing. Add the ip of the computer you want to let in.

Edited by Cjhoskins