Today's networking problem - NOT wifi

zlim

I finally got Win 2000 installed as a 2nd OS in a notebook. I spent the day installing firewall/av/trojan detector/malware detectors, Firefox, about 30 must have programs, and ran the MS security update CD to cut down on the amount of fixes I need. This nb has not been on the internet so there are no connections.I plugged in the ethernet and thought I set up a connection but I must be doing something wrong or failing to put a setting in because I can't bring up any site (windows update, Mozilla, nor MSN were the sites I tried). My desktop and notebook are not to be shared but must I enable something to get on the internet with the notebook and a wire? Also all the appropriate lights are on at the router.1. The Nic is set up properly, I went to the HP site and downloaded the proper driver and it appears ok in Device Manager.2. FWIW, it appears that the nb and the router are talking because it tells me how many minutes I'm connected and the number of packets sent and received.3. I made sure the ethernet adapter was showing, I highlighted TCP/IP and at first let it obtain an IP automatically, when that didn't work I put in the IP of my cable modem , the subnet mask address it put in was 255.0.0.0 which did not match the one I was showing elsewhere of 255.255.255.0 (I tried a few variations of this), the default gateway is my router 192.168.1.1 and the DNS server addresses are the ones I obtained from Comcast. So what am I doing wrong? :) ;) :devil: I know, I will be embarassed after I learn what I didn't do. I don't want to have to upgrade all those software packages over dialup!Well, something else must also be going on because I connect on dialup but I can't get any pages to load. Once I figure out what I have blocked on dialup just maybe I will be able to connect using ethernet.

Poor zlim. :(

So what am I doing wrong?
Well
I put in the IP of my cable modem
In that you're connected to a router you should be using a router address. And since it supports DHCP you shouldn't need to manually input any addresses.Do you have a firewall installed? Is it showing any error msgs for IP addresses associated with your router?

EdP and Peachy are both on the right track. Comcast is very easy to setup and use.Unless you disabled DHCP on the router to manually enter the IP addresses on each of your systems, you should clear out any manually entered IP address info and simply let the computer get the IP address from the router. With that out of the way, you mentioned having installed a firewall. You might need to disable the firewall for a few minutes to see that you actually have a connection to the router. Once a connection is established (i.e., the forums come up in the browser), you know then it is the firewall causing a problem and needs adjustment.Another tip is to download wntipcfg.exe as from Microsoft (it's a resource kit add-on), and similar to win98's GUI version of ipconfig.And a little twist to Peachy's post.....

ipconfig /all > c:\one or more optional folders\ip_addy_info.txt

Laptops: Toshiba Tecra's (win98 & win2k) and IBM ThinkPad (linux RH9 at the time, HDD crashed after mouse died and was replaced :().

I checked the router and I have auto configure DHCP on. I went into the settings, removed the entries that I put in and set both up to auto find. I shut off the firewall (ZoneAlarm, free) up to this point I was sending packets but not receiving and then I started receiving. I launched a browser and the computer crashed - blue screen white numbers of addresses but it happened so quickly that I didn't get a chance to write down anything, the computer rebooted and ran scandisk.I then let the firewall on and launched windows update but a popup window appears and wants me to connect via dialup ( this happened when I was troubleshooting the wifi card so I guess I'll have to go back and start reading notes).I completely removed the dialup connection and launched windows update again. The status bar said - detecting proxy settings and then I get the page can't be displayed. I diabled AdMuncher and the status bar says web site found, waiting for reply and then another this page can't be displayed.I'll get the ipconfig, move it to a computer that can connect and post it in a bit.the picture http://mercury.walagata.com/w/perk/Scot_links/ipconfig1.jpgI'm sure Comcast is easy to set up. Keep in mind that I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully, I will learn from all the mistakes I'm making so I don't have to keep asking the same things over and over.What has me concerned is that even dialup doesn't work so I must really have something botched because I never had a problem getting on with dialup.

The status bar said - detecting proxy settings and then I get the page can't be displayed. I diabled AdMuncher and the status bar says web site found, waiting for reply and then another this page can't be displayed.I'll get the ipconfig, move it to a computer that can connect and post it in a bit.
Liz, I think I know what the problem is. Internet Explorer is set to Autodetect a proxy server. Go into IE then from the menu select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and then uncheck the first checkbox that says: Automatically detect settings. Many times for some inexplicable reason, a default install of Windows 2000 will have that checked.

That was checked, I removed it and I get web site found, waiting for reply and the normal The page cannot be displayed error.When I launch Firefox, the error is The operation timed out when attempting to contact www.mozilla.org

Okay, but we still need to see the ipconfig /all output. You have the computer set to get an IP from the DHCP server, correct? Rember, the router behaves as if it's just another computer on your network. So you can't assign its IP address statically to your computer.

I did post the link to the picture http://mercury.walagata.com/w/perk/Scot_links/ipconfig1.jpgCan you see it?I also discovered this site and I'll do some reading to see if I missed or guessed wrong on settingshttp://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/win2k.htmI also did an Ipconfig and my results look exactly like a sample on the pageConnection-specific DNS suffix:IP Address............................: 192.168.1.101Subnet Mask.........................: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway....................: 192.168.1.1so I'm off to read troubleshooting your card.

So, can you ping the router and get a response?

ping 192.168.1.1

It looks fine. It shouldn't be a firewall issue. The other thing is to do an

arp -a

and see if the MAC address of the router shows up. If that works then do a

netstat -r

to display the routing table. The critical line you need to see is that Destination is 0.0.0.0, Netmask is 0.0.0.0, Gateway is 192.168.1.1, and Interface is 192.168.1.101.

zlim your DNS address looks wrong. I don't know where it came from but it is part of the problem.Part of the IPCONFIG display for my pc is:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.214 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254

Note the DHCP and DNS addresses.

What you have showing ISN''T what I see here. Let me look again - Yikes.Sorry, I misunderstood - you are showing your info.Maybe it isn't picking up the DNS even though auto is checked. Should I enter a value in?I also did a ping from the desktop (computer #1 attached to the router and cable modem) to computer #2 and it timed out . (You need to tell me what that means, LOL).

Liz, can you access your router's config page? Ed, it may be wrong or it may be right. My Linksys router forces me to input the DNS servers of my ISP. Any host that is DHCP configured should be given those ISP DNS addresses. If I manually assign the IP address I still have to put in the ISP DNS addresses. Yours may be correct for your setup if the router is doing DNS forwarding, which it most likely is doing if you can access external IP addresses in your browser.

Yes I can access the router set up page.(Another setting on the notebook under Obtain DNS server address automatically and clicking the Advanced button), Interface metric has a 1 in the box.I ping the notebook to the router and that's ok 4 packets sent and received in a time of less than 2 msOn the nb, I typed in arp -a and the response was "No ARP entries found".Is there a place to put in the MAC address of the router?Here's netstathttp://mercury.walagata.com/w/perk/Scot_links/netstat1.jpgOn a completely different note...I'm still reading, must I enable IP Routing?http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/w2kprout.htmIt's bottom hald of page under 2000 Troubleshooting TCP/IP.It seems to me the notebook sends out the info but then it doesn't get from the router (or desktop computer) to the nb so it times out.

You shouldn't need to enable routing since your notebook shouldn't be setup as a router. You'd also need two interfaces, which you have since you have a modem, right?The netstat looks fine, although you could set the metric higher. You can set that in the TCP/IP properties for the NIC. The other thing to do is from the command line, do an nslookup. For example if you do:

nslookup forums.scotsnewsletter.com

it should return the IP address of the DNS server that was used and the IP address of forums.scotsnewsletter.com. If you get an error then the DNS server is not working or you can't access it. If you just type nslookup by itself it should return the IP address of the current primary DNS server. You can change the server at this point by typing in server and the ip address of another DNS server, perhaps your gateway. Then just type forums.scotsnewsletter.com since you are already in the nslookup command (using it interactively; that's what the > prompt means.) Type exit to exit.

When I did nslookup for scot'sDNS request timed out..........timeout was 2 seconds.Can't find server name for address 68.82.0.6: Timed out , again 2 seconds and the same for the other DNS ending in 5Default servers are not availableServer: unknownAddress: 68.82.0.6and a few more time out lines and request to unknown timed out.I'll put in my own DNS using the router address and see if I get anywhere.I get the same error..DNS request timed out...Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1I turned off the firewall, typed in just nslookup and the error is: "Unknown can't find nslookup: Non-existent domain"I get the feeling this notebook hates me! First on the ME partion, it took 2 weeks to get the wireless card working and now on the 2K partion, it doesn't want to let me get on the internet at all! (phone or ethernet...I don't even want to start on the wireless card)My goal was to get connected, get all the updates, burn a Ghost of the system, install the wireless card and wipe off the ME partion.I may just wipe off the 2K partion and go back to crappy ME (at least it lets me on the internet). :w00t: :bounce: :worthy:

So, basically those DNS numbers are incorrect. Can you plug the modem directly to the notebook and have it autoconfigure. That way when you do ipconfig /all you will get the correct DNS servers. Use those for the router. Looks like the router maybe incorrect.

I don't think going back to ME is a wise move. Another clean install of win2k might help and don't bother with the dial-up. Put in AV and firefox, but hold off with the firewall and other utilites until the connection checks out to be good (i.e., you can get to the forums here). Then one by one, add your other necessary utilities.The autodetect proxy settings shouldn't matter too much as that's the way my omputers are set up with win2k. The router shouuld be obtaining DNS info from comcast. I have DNS IP starting with 68.60.*.* from comcast. That DNS number might vary form region to region. Does your other systems report the same DNS? If it works with the other systems, then it shouldn't be a problem as the router and other systems are working as they should. nslookup??? Well if one doesn't work, niether will the others (ping, etc.). Does the router show the MAC address of the laptop in the IP table of the router? Can you get to the router settings? Unplugging the modem and/or the router might help as well, but I doubt it in this case.Err.... I think I'll step back and observe. But you mention "the router (or desktop)".... So do you have a separate router (DLink, LinkSys, etc.) where one cable goes to the cable modem and several cables to the various systems? Or do you have have a hub/switch that connects all of the computers but nothing to the cablem modem (as the cable modem is connected directly to a computer with a second NIC card)?

I just checked the DNS IP address with Karen's (karenware) WhoIs. It checks out to be part of Comcast's network and should be good to go. No errors there. That leads me to think there is a problem at t he software level. Perhaps ZoneAlarm is still the culprit after all. Double check the allowed programs of ZoneAlarm and try resetting or clearing the settings if possible. Otherwise, try the re-install of win2k as noted in my prior postNow, one other thing that comes to mind is the network connection. Having a Tecra 8200 with both WiFi and LAN/NIC (wire) built-in, there is a switching utility to move betwen the two. Rarely if ever can you get both to work at the same time (in fact Toshiba's pages says that you can't).

I'll try to answer the questions.The DNS numbers 68.82.0.6 and 68.82.0.5 are on the network setup page of the router when I bring it up so I would assume they are correct because my desktop, connected to wifi router (Linkysys WRT54G) in slot one thru a linksys card I just added in June and my notebook using ME and card (WPC54G) can get on the internet. When I switch partions on the same notebook and plug the ethernet in slot 2, I get nowhere.I assume that if the firewall was the problem, turning it off which I did would allow me to get on the internet - but that didn't work.The router does not show any MAC addresses.When I click on my network places/computers near me on the laptop, I get the laptop showing. When I click on my my network places/computers near me on the desktop I get a blank white screen. (I'm not sure if this tells you anything).Tomorrow, I'm done dealing with this for today, I will clear all the entries in Zone Alarm and turn it off and see if it makes a difference.I will try and see if the card in the notebook has a switching utility - who knows maybe the ethernet only needs to be turned on!

OK, so your basic setup is one router connected to two computers, correct?Zlim, your last post tells me that the problem is not your network card or your router, because you can access your laptop over the network. The reason you get a blank screen is because you probably do not have any resources shared.Reset your router to DHCP and all the machines connected to it to use DHCP if you haven't done so already (unless you have a dire need to use static IPs :'(). Then just check to make sure your Inet connection still works (which it should)Try going into your Internet Options (control panel or MSIE), go to the "Connections" tab, then click "Setup". This will re-setup your Internet connection. Run through the steps carefully - make sure you choose a "LAN Connection" that is "Always On" (I don't run 2K/XP, so I don't know the exact steps).

WRT54G, the same router I have. At the bottom of the status page you will find a button labeled "DHCP Clients Table." The DCHP Clients Table has a line for each computer consisting of the Client Host Name, IP Address, MAC Address, Expires (or the expiration for which the lease of the IP address by a particular computer ends; however, the IP address generally remains the same for each computer).You should then be able to see whether the notebook is connected or it will not be listed. If it's listed, then I think we're back to ZoneAlarm as the culprit. ZoneAlarm despite being disabled and closed out can in rare situations still interfere with the operation of other system processes such as surfing the web. If you're seriously thinking of going back to ME that will require a re-install, just reinstall win2k with a fresh format and go a bit slower installing AV and firefox, and then move on from there once you've established a connection and know that it's working. That's what I would do at this point in time. And that's what I had to do to get my WiFi working in win2k SP4 with an alternate set of drivers from Agere instead of Toshiba's drivers. It works and that's what really matters.

I'm now getting windows update. I've done 3 things. I'm not sure which of the 3 items is the culprit but I will try to add them in one at a time and figure out what IS the problem software.1. I completely uninstalled AdMuncher (this is the smallest of the 3 programs and will be easy to install if that isn't the problem). It also said to clear browser caches, which I did even though I haven't been able to use a browser. I rebooted to make doubly sure it was gone.2. I turned off ZoneAlarm (I've done this and it didn't seem to make a difference before but then I had AdMuncher in the picture.3. I use The Cleaner and have 1 item running in the tray called TCActive! I disabled it.I read and looked at the settings again but I did not change any settings on the nb or the router setup. When I pinged the nb, I got 100% packet loss so one of those three was blocking information.I'm going back to grab some more updates and see which product is the problem.

It's ZoneAlarm. I can run TCActive! and access Windows Update with it on but I run ZoneAlarm and I get nowhere.I'll have to go through the settings and see what is going on because I run it on the desktop (also with 2K) and don't have a problem.I like having both a hardware and a software firewall (I'm paranoid, what can I say, LOL).

It sounds like one of the three or the combination of the three was causing a blockage.Take a closer look at what each product does. AdMuncher and ZoneAlarm both might be doing the same thing - blocking ads depending on what version of ZoneAlarm you're using. I'm never heard of The Cleaner. What is it?

I use ZoneAlarm with a very similar setup to you and have no connection problems. Although, I've never used AdMuncher, so I'd suspect that it, or the combination of it and ZA were the culprit.

The Cleaner is a trojan detector/remover. As for the combination of the three products, I have the exact three programs (same versions) running on my 2K desktop connected to the router at slot 1 and have no problem. The notebook, running 2K and connected to the router at slot 2 can't run ZA and connect to the internet. I'm clueless as to why. :'( But I'm going to try and figure it out because even though I don't need a firewall when connected to the router IF I manage to get the wifi card installed and operational, I don't want to go to a public hotspot without a firewall.To further add to the confusion, the ME partion on this notebook gets on the internet with the same three products running!!! :w00t: I don't think I will ever understand completely the mysterious ways of computers.

I bet your issue is dns related.Can you connect to the router? 192.168.1.1 for the linky.Can you connect to your cable modem? possible 192.168.100.1 (may be different)You say you have comcast. Use these dns numbers. 68.60.32.6 and 68.60.32.5 Also open command (cmd) again and run ipconfig /flushdnsTry connecting again. You can also try to ping www or try to ping the dns server I gave you above.Chris

Fuzzbutt, I have a few questions. (Remember you are dealing with a networking idiot on this end). :D 1. I do I test if I can connect to the router?2. My cable modem doesn't have a 192 address are you suggesting that I now go in and change it?3. Why do I need to use your Comcast DNS addresses when my setup works with the ones I was given 68.82.0.6 and 68.82.0.5 (I'm in PA and because Comcast is huge I suspect they use different dns #s in different states).4. This last is a comment: I'm afraid to flush the dns because I have finally succeeded in getting the desktop connected to the internet, the notebook on the ME partion connected to the internet with the wifi card and the nb with the fresh 2K install connected to the internet using ethernet. I'm not real sure that I want to fuss with the setting and lose the connections that I now have. (If it ain't broke - don't tweak it any more!!! :P ) In my case, I'd probably end up tweaking it so it doesn't work.