Comcast!

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

I just recieved an email from comcast saying that i should dowload a transition wizard to make the change:"The transition wizard consists of two parts. Prior to June 30, each time you restart your computer, the wizard checks our transition server for changes to the schedule, currently scheduled for June 30, 2003. The Transition Wizard will automatically prepare your computer for the transition and configure your e-mail settings, which will change your attbi.com e-mail address to your comcast.net e-mail address at that time. The Transition Wizard will also set up e-mail forwarding to make sure that all e-mails sent to your AT&T Broadband Internet account are forwarded to your new Comcast e-mail account through December 2004. In order to have a smooth transition to the comcast.net e-mail domain, you need to install the Transition Wizard on any computer that you currently use to access the AT&T Broadband service. "Call me crazy, but i think i will wait for the manual instructions to come out...

Guest LilBambi

Dialup here, but this just sounds like another move by Comcast to get their spyware on more computers.Not needed. Not wanted. B)* Moved to Security and Networking *

Yeah, I got the "transition wizard" email too. Can you believe the arrogance of this company, Comcast? I also refuse to install this.Anyone else who has installed the Comcast TransistionWizard, I would very much appreciate it if you could either post your experiences with it here or email me with them:scot@scotsnewsletter.com-- Scot

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to a Comcast representative today as I use Eudora and wanted to get the settings for the change (since the Wizard won't update Eudora). He was helpful, giving them without hesitation. When I asked him if I needed to download the Wizard to set up anything else, including mail forwarding he said "No." He said the forwarding would be automatically enabled despite what the Comcast emails have said.Anyone else try calling?

SonicDragon

ooooOOOOOooooo. Interesting! Now they are lying to us??? How strange. I just might have to call next time i see one of their 800 numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

After somewhat less-than-satisfactory chats and phone calls with Comcast Tech Support regarding what might happen to my PWPs after June 30, I gave up. And I can't download the transition.exe magic bullet without re-wiring my Linksys Router-Cable Modem. :D Right now I have 6 interlinked PWPs to take advantage of ATTBI's 10MB limit/per mail account, but I'm told that Comcast will have a 25MB limit overall.One complication is that one of my mail accounts must change as it already exisits on Comcast.I'd like to begin the editing process - but I don't know what direction to move in. Will the 25MB be applied to my primary e-mail account? Will there be a grace period (assuming that both servers will be running)?You can reach me at frowns@attbi.com until June 30.

SonicDragon
If you do not choose to use our easy Transition Wizard by June 30, 2003, you should manually configure your email settings to take advantage of attbi.com e-mail forwarding, and  you will still have high-speed Internet access. The Wizard and the manual instructions will insure uninterrupted email service from Comcast. Manual instructions will be posted on http://connect.comcast.net on Monday, June 30th.
Previous emails from them have stated that email fowarding would not be available if you didn't download the transition wizard. Another forum member pointed out that when he/she called Comcast, the employee said that email fowarding would still be availible, even though the emails said other wise. Now, they send an email conferming out suspisions ;) It looks like you will be able to receive email fowarding even if you don't download the transition wizard. Comcast seems to be playing some games here..... any thoughts?

Comcast seems to be playing some games here..... any thoughts?
I suspect that Comcast, like AT&T and like the DSL providers I dealt with before them, just assumes that the bulk of their users are computer illiterate and will appreciate having this done for them automatically. The "new" information coming out now probably reflects the questions that they are receiving from the more hands-on capable users. I don't see anything sinister here. When AT&T replaced @home you could not convert without running their program. At least Comcast is giving me the option to do-it-myself.That said, I am opting for the manual change-over. I don't use Outlook Express, and don't want a third party app checking the internet with an "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?" test to see if it is time to cut over to a different mail server for softeare that I am not using in the first place.I have seen the other thread that gives the new comcast mail POP3 and SMTP servers and the news server that Comcast will be using. Will I also need to change my DNS look-up servers?

SonicDragon
Will I also need to change my DNS look-up servers?
I don't think so. I don't think i had to do that when they switched from mediaone to attbi. But, who knows.

SonicDragon
Sonic --Merged your two Comcast Topics to keep the thoughts together.
Sorry, i should have done that in the first place! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Transition: Day 1I'm nine+ minutes in trying to get the "Comcast High-speed Cable Internet" home page to display. Surely the number of manual changers does not rival the number of people accessing the Federal "Do not call" web site?

When I logged on to Eudora 4.3 this morning, June 30, my attbi mail seemed to be coming through OK but I changed to the Comcast POP3 and SMTP servers to pick up any comcast-created e-mail - I thought that I would get a greeting from them - but none so far.I did not download the Transition Wizard.But I am quite satisfied with the changes that Comcast made in my PWP pages so that the interlinks within the pages have all been changed to the new address. Score one for Comcast. ;) Take a look- http://home.comcast.net/~uss_whipple/index.htmlEd Finigan

After 54 minutes, I closed the window. I tried again and connected, albeit slowly. I have lost one e-mail account, because it was previously in use by someone else, but I didn't use the AT&T accounts anyway and won't be using the Comcast accounts, either. And I had advance notice of this loss from Comcast, so it wasn't a surprise to me.I've made the necessary changes to my e-mail client, but I wish there was some way I could have told them: don't forward any mail from my old account. I pretty much have to delete everything that comes in on the old account, as it represents 99% of my spam. Since I don't use the comcast accounts, it will be interesting to see if any e-mail comes in directly targeting this account. One nice thing to report. Comcast's mail site allows you to retrieve POP3 mail for other accounts. Hotmail and Operamail used to do this without having to sign up for premium services. This will good for collecting e-mail on the road when I don't have my own computer along for the ride.

Hi all,Have been a subscriber to Comcast cable for a while now; when I joined, was AT&T - it was problem-free for me. :D Since a few days ago, (when I received a very pertinent e-mail from Comcast, stating that I only had x number of days to d/l and install their software), it has been hectic...just this morning, when all is supposed to be "completely transitioned", they have been on / off 5x! :lol: BTW, their software is, as far as I can tell, only for Windows...I no longer use WinXP, just distros of Linux; never had a problem, when it was solely in the hands of AT&T, but Comcast is making me icon8.gif Yes, I have sent them e-mail (very polite ones), but due to the on-again / off-again status, I don't know if they even received any! ;) At least I am on-line - for now. :D Hopefully, it is just "growing pains", and all will be OK. ;) Just my two cents, hope you all have better fortune. ;)

BTW, their software is, as far as I can tell, only for Windows...
Typical ! Some over here with ISPs, ADSL and Cable companies . . . . ;) :lol: Bruno

BTW, their software is, as far as I can tell, only for Windows...
Typical ! Some over here with ISPs, ADSL and Cable companies . . . . ;) :lol: Bruno
One interesting point, however, when I first had it installed, the Comcast install-guy told me not to bother with installing the software (was using WinXP at the time), followed his advice, and never had any problems. He also told me that Comcast instructs the techs to make sure they install the software. ;) Guess this guy saw what was coming, or he just didn't want to return to my residence. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Transition: Day 17When the heck do the messages from Comcast telling me to convert, if I haven't already done so, stop? I get three or four a day. Am I the only one getting these?

SonicDragon
But I am quite satisfied with the changes that Comcast made in my PWP pages so that the interlinks within the pages have all been changed to the new address. Score one for Comcast. 
That's nice!
When the heck do the messages from Comcast telling me to convert, if I haven't already done so, stop? I get three or four a day. Am I the only one getting these?
Humm... that's strange. I haven't got any since i witched.
just this morning, when all is supposed to be "completely transitioned", they have been on / off 5x!  BTW, their software is, as far as I can tell, only for Windows...
Yea i noticed the off again on again thing too!As for only windows, i can't say i'm surprised. They probably figure most people running linux will change their own settings anyway and never download any software like that. But they still should have included a linux version anyway.

Transition: Day 17When the heck do the messages from Comcast telling me to convert, if I haven't already done so, stop? I get three or four a day. Am I the only one getting these?
Wow! they must Really want you to install their software...consider yourself Special! :rolleyes: :blink:

DOH!One of my two comcast e-mail addresses was still pointing to the old attbi login ID. I think the repeated messages were comcast's way of telling me this. My mistake.