FCC publishes net neutrality rules online

securitybreach

securitybreach

The Federal Communications Commission voted in favor of new net neutrality regulations nine months after first proposing to do so.

The FCC on March 12 published the full net neutrality rules that it passed in late February. The 400-page document outlines how the FCC plans to protect the open Internet, primarily by regulating broadband like a public utility under Title II of the Communications Act. Broadband providers are widely expected to challenge the rules in court.

The FCC on Feb. 26 voted 3-2 in favor of new net neutrality regulations. The new regulations ban companies from being able to pay for faster access to consumers in a practice known as paid prioritization or "fast lanes."

I am incredibly proud of the process the Commission has run in developing today's historic open Internet protections. I say that not just as the head of this agency, but as a U.S. citizen. Today's Open Internet Order is a shining example of American democracy at work.- Tom Wheeler FCC Chairman

In a statement released after the vote, Wheeler said there were three keys to "our broadband future": networks must be fast, fair, and open.

President Obama after the vote thanked the more than 4 million people who contacted the FCC in support of net neutrality, saying that "calling for change" is the "backbone of our democracy." Obama in Nov. 2014 urged the FCC to regulate broadband like a public utility.

Several broadband providers, including AT&T and Verizon, quickly criticized the FCC's decision. Verizon claimed the FCC was imposing regulations "that were written in the era of the steam locomotive and the telegraph." Three days before the vote, Comcast said it didn't believe regulating broadband like a public utility was "the right answer."......

http://circanews.com/news/legal-challenges-to-net-neutrality

All I want to know is where do I sign up for the Class Action lawsuit against the FCC for this arbitrary usurpation of authority over the Internet not granted by Congress?

• Like 1

I am just glad that Net Neutrality passed as the alternative would of been very bad.

What could be worse than granting Fed bureaucrats authority over the Internet? As I stated before, this has nothing to do with the current rules. What IS important is the legal precedent set in allowing the FCC to set ANY rule.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

I understand but you have to remember how Comcast, Verizon and others were trying to change the internet into a pricing structure with different levels. Preventing net neutrality would of completely changed the internet in the US.

If it is was up to Comcast and Verizon, this would be your internet packages:

0024sNi.png

• Like 1

I understand but you have to remember how Comcast, Verizon and others were trying to change the internet into a pricing structure with different levels. Preventing net neutrality would of completely changed the internet in the US.

If it is was up to Comcast and Verizon, this would be your internet packages:

0024sNi.png

Co.s could only get away with that if there were no other co.s to offer better pricing. I, for one, am in such a situation where I have little choice in provider. I either pay AT&T rates for DSL or pay even more for a "cell phone" data package. But I prefer that over giving the FCC a "foot-in-the-door" to start taxing the Internet every which way.

IOW, the govt's role should be to prevent monopolistic practices, such as city govt's granting only one co. "cable rights". Or state laws that prohibit cities from competing with ISPs by providing free Internet access. Granting the FCC power over ISPs amounts to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

V.T. Eric Layton

What could be worse than granting Fed bureaucrats authority over the Internet?

Leaving it in the hands of greedy, monopolistic Internet service providers.

• Like 3

You do realize, I hope, that monopolies only exist because govts create them. The solution is to do away with the monopolies. NOT create MORE govt bureaucracies.
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You do realize, I hope, that monopolies only exist because govts create them. The solution is to do away with the monopolies. NOT create MORE govt bureaucracies.

That would be wonderful. Unfortunately, it's not always practical. For instance, it would be nearly impossible to eliminate water utility monopolies or electrical monopolies, etc. because it would take to the year 3090 for the lawyers of the existing companies to determine how to divvy up the hardware (wiring and machinery) to the 250 new companies that want to come online and provide services but do not own any infrastructure. The situation is similar with the Internet these days. Verizon owns its FIOS lines and its equipment, central offices, and staff. How would they set that up so other companies could use their stuff to provide service? They can't. That's the problem. There's no easy solution, that I can see.

• Like 1