"Over the rainbow" top movie song of all time

ibe98765

I'm so ordinary, sigh. "Over the rainbow" is my favorite movie song also...For those interested, the definititive version of "Over the rainbow" is on Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall (recorded April 23, 1961). Get it here.

AFI List "Over the Rainbow"by Joal Ryan Jun 22, 2004, 8:05 PM PTWe needed a list to tell us "Over the Rainbow" is the greatest movie song of all time? Probably not, but the detail-oriented types at the American Film Institute have spelled it out anyway, affixing Dorothy Gale's Kansas lament from the The Wizard of Oz to the top of its latest water-cooler-argument starter, "100 Years...100 Songs." The tuneful list was revealed Tuesday in a three-hour CBS special hosted by disco-era musical god John Travolta, whose pipes, along with those of Olivia Newton-John, helped lift "Summer Nights" from Grease to the 70th spot. The rest of the Top 10, meanwhile, was filled out with the usual iconic suspects: "As Time Goes By," from Casablanca; "Singin' in the Rain," from Singin' in the Rain; "Moon River," from Breakfast at Tiffany's; "White Christmas," from Holiday Inn; "Mrs. Robinson," from The Graduate; "When You Wish Upon a Star," from Pinocchio; "The Way We Were," from The Way We Were; "Stayin' Alive," from Saturday Night Fever; and "The Sound of Music," from, yes, The Sound of Music. Just as past AFI lists were self-explanatory ("100 Years...100 Laughs," for instance, compiled the so-called best film comedies), "100 Years...100 Songs" sought to rank, yes, the top ditties in the history of tie-in soundtracks. An AFI-tapped jury of 1,500 Hollywood powerbrokers (actors and directors) and others (critics, historians, screenwriters, etc.) were asked to peruse 400 nominees, and select the top songs that helped "set a [movie's] tone," create a "cultural impact" and leave a lasting "legacy." None of this criteria explains how Carly Simon's modestly memorable "Let the River Run," the Staten Island Ferry commute anthem from Working Girl, made the final cut (in 91st place), and the cult-inspiring "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show didn't. Debatable results are the hallmark of the AFI lists. Full article

SonicDragon

I'll always remember that song by a different version. I don't know if any of you follow the show ER, but they played it when Mark Green died. It was done by a hawiian man... i can't think of the name right now... but it was really great. lots of emotion. I heard that the hawiian man also died. There was a really emotional story and i can't remember the details. Something about his sole purpose in life being to support his family.. anyway, very sad.So that song always is sad and emotional to me, and i always think of that version. I'll see if i can find a copy of it somewhere.

His name is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.Download link
Now that is one of the most unusual renditions of Over the Rainbow that I have ever heard!Here's a version that everyone seems to like from an artist called Austin Cromer who made this back in the late 1950's with the Dizzy Gillespie big band.30 second clip here:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...7391636-1612068A bit longer clip here:http://www.discoweb.com/uk/Music/scripts/i...+SESSIONS_.html

"Singing in the Rain" had a profound impact on me. That was the "Clockwork Orange" version, though, so I suppose that's not in consideration. It wasn't even an American film. Otherwise they may have considered "Blue Danube" from "2001: A Space Odyssey".

"Singing in the Rain" definately belongs in the Top 10.1) It's one of the most performed songs in movie history (Twice in Hollywood Revue of 1929{Cliff Edwards,who had the original hit,& by the Brox sisters},by Jimmy Durante in Speak Easily,by Judy Garland in Little Nelly Kelly,& twice again in Singing in the Rain{the tile sequence by Gene Kelly,Donald O'Connor,& Debbie Reynolds,& of course the dance sequence by Gene Kelly})2) It was part of one of the two or three greatest choreography pieces in film history3) It's a great song B) No "Time Warp"??? Now THAT'S a foul-up ;) Love & Peace,Clarence

FuzzDuckie

"Time Warp" was nominated.If you go to AFI's website you can view a list of 400 nominated songs (PDF format). There was another RHPS song in there but I can't remember which one.They just didn't make the top 100 :D