Browser security test

ibe98765

From TechSupportAlert newsletter (http://www.techsupportalert.com):

Check Your Browser DefensesI just discovered this site operated by security company Scanit and its set of tests is quite comprehensive. Given the current scumware plague, I strongly recommend you go to this site and test out your browser. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes.http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
Test is easy to run. I run Slim Browser (an IE clone). My results:The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:High Risk Vulnerabilities 0 Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0 Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0 Also, check out the statistics page link at the end of the test.

Galeon came up with the same 0/0/0. It looks like it tries different known problems with various browsers including trying to open external applications and getting into other cookies. Statistics at the end say that 38.5% have no vulnerabilities (probably most readers here) and almost 80% use IE. I am surprised the IE is that low.....I ran it first as Galeon specific then ran it with all known tests..... Same results.Julia

James M. Fisher
Firefox 0.9 default settings came up 0/0/0 as well.Ran specific as well as all tests sme result. :blink:
Interesting.... Firefox 0.9 only had 6 test run on it; IE6 (XPSP2) had 19 tests run. Both 0/0/0. Has anyone not had 0/0/0, I wonder? :hmm:

Guest Paracelsus
Has anyone not had 0/0/0, I wonder?  :lol:
:hmm: :lol: :lol: Well, James....I never was very good at taking tests :( When I ran the "All Available Tests" mode... I came back with 2/0/0
Microsoft Internet Explorer %00 Arbitrary File Execution Vulnerability (bid3578)Microsoft Internet Explorer Object Data Remote Execution Vulnerability (eeye20030821)
But I wasn't sure what to do with all the pop-up boxes about downloads, etc. I thought they might be necessary for the test, so I clicked... Yes. Probably the wrong answer. :hmm: (Did I mention that I'm not good at taking tests? :P )When I ran the mode for the specific Browser I'm using, IE6 (all Critical Updates)... I decided to click "No" to everything, and came back0/0/0 :blink:

Firefox 0.9 default settings came up 0/0/0 as well.Ran specific as well as all tests sme result. :hmm:
Interesting.... Firefox 0.9 only had 6 test run on it; IE6 (XPSP2) had 19 tests run. Both 0/0/0. Has anyone not had 0/0/0, I wonder? :lol:
Ya kno, I had that same exact thought as everyone kept posting zeros. But then I realized, of course we're all getting zeros, we're the experts! :lol: :blink: :hmm:

Well, this is embarrasing :(1/0/0 (oh, and just for the record, I am *not* a non-expert :hmm: )I think it's because I use MSIE 5.5 (no update for this, probably comes with MSIE 6...grrrrrr . . . Microsoft :blink: )

Guest Paracelsus
1/0/0 (oh, and just for the record, I am *not* a non-expert :lol: )
So where does that leave me?? :hmm: :hmm: :lol: You know a **** of a lot more than I do, epp_b :blink:

1/0/0 (oh, and just for the record, I am *not* a non-expert :lol: )
So where does that leave me?? :hmm: :hmm: :lol: You know a **** of a lot more than I do, epp_b :blink:
<grin>I hope to buying a new laptop within the next month or so - which means it will be brand spankin' new and have Windows XP. So that'll meant that I'm done with IE 5.5 (but I *do* like it).

Yes, I don't think it was clear as to what to do with the open windows or prompts for downloads. I closed the windows and replied no to the downloads. Perhpas thoise who have up-to-date security but got lower scores approved one of the downloads? That would seem to be what a neophyte would do....Here's a couple of other locations with more robust testing:http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/info17.htm#andhttp://www.pcflank.com/

So that'll meant that I'm done with IE 5.5 (but I *do* like it).
Does 5.5 have Print Preview? 6.0 does and it's a great feature. I think it was what enticed me to upgrade the Win 98 machines.

James M. Fisher
LOL! Can a non-expert please step up and try this test? ;)
Didn't I already do that??I think I qualify :)
These are the results for a tester in another forum:
The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:High Risk Vulnerabilities 4Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 5Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0
(It turns out he only had a couple of patches installed!)

James M. Fisher
Does 5.5 have Print Preview?  6.0 does and it's a great feature.  I think it was what enticed me to upgrade the Win 98 machines.
I believe so. I think this feature was introduced with either 5.1 or 5.5..... ;)

I think this feature was introduced with either 5.1 or 5.5.....  B)
It wasn't in 5.1. The question is is it in 5.5. And if it was I don't think I would have upgraded the older pcs to 6.0, unless Windows Update required it but I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.

James M. Fisher
According to This MSDN article, it looks like it was put in in 5.5 :lol: Neil
Thanks Neil. I was pretty sure it was in 5.5.EdP: I knew what the question was, I was just musing aloud. My bad. :D

EdP: I knew what the question was, I was just musing aloud. My bad. :lol: 
Not a problem. I do it all the time myself. :D I wasn't aware that Print Preview required special webpage coding. And I thought Netscape had the function before IE did.

James M. Fisher
And I thought Netscape had the function before IE did.
It may have. I really don't print web *pages* that much. I usually just copy 'n paste what I want into Word, etc.

I print pages directly from the browser. Primarily emails for my wife, occasionally an article for a neighbor, and sometimes a credit card statement or order confirmation page. The only time I ever cut & paste into another app is to remove all the ">"s before email jokes I find worth passing on. :lol:

James M. Fisher

I should have clarified: I do print from a browser, but mostly those sites that have the "Printable View" feature. Even then, I will copy n' paste because sometimes when I try to print directly from a browser (usually IE), the text still runs off the right edge.

Does 5.5 have Print Preview?  6.0 does and it's a great feature.  I think it was what enticed me to upgrade the Win 98 machines.
I believe so. I think this feature was introduced with either 5.1 or 5.5..... ;)
5.1. It comes standard on Win98

I print pages directly from the browser.  Primarily emails for my wife, occasionally an article for a neighbor, and sometimes a credit card statement or order confirmation page.  The only time I ever cut & paste into another app is to remove all the ">"s before email jokes I find worth passing on.  :o
What's really funny is that when you send a forward to one of your...ahem...less educated friends, you get that same e-mail back from them in their forwarding list ;)