Microsoft Windows 7 Software Recovery

Corrine

It used to be that when you purchased a new PC you received a copy of the software along with it. Then that stopped. Many OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. started charging extra for the software. Some would allow customers to purchase the software for a while and then that was no longer possible.

If you have a Windows 7 computer and no recovery software, you can now do one of the following:

• Create a Windows 7 DVD for installation on a new hard drive
  • Create a backup Windows 7 DVD
  • Create a bootable USB drive with a copy of Windows 7

Instructions are available here: Microsoft Software Recovery.

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

Awesome! This will help to alleviate the concerns for the pre-installed, no media owners!

Does it say how old the Windows 7 computer has to be to do this.

I have a friend who has a 2.5-3 yr old Dell laptop and she did not order the discs from Dell before the 2 year mark.

This may not work with OEM computers as I thought. Reading the website link, it refers to "retail":

This site enables you to recover and install Microsoft software purchased through a retailer. (bold added)

AFAIK, there isn't an age requirement. Dell has been the toughest to get media for so if it works, it would be great. Let us know if your friend tries.

Guest LilBambi

I hope it will be possible.

The hardware is still in very good shape but the registry rot and malware infections have taken their toll.

She wants to be able to back up data (which is done daily), and reinstall Windows 7 to give renewed vigor.

Awesome! This will help to alleviate the concerns for the pre-installed, no media owners!

Does it say how old the Windows 7 computer has to be to do this.

I have a friend who has a 2.5-3 yr old Dell laptop and she did not order the discs from Dell before the 2 year mark.

Hi .. not sure I understand what's needed here, but anybody can freely download a win7+sp1 iso directly from Microsoft. Burn it to a dvd and there's your install disk. Use your own activation number from the sticker on the case.

Good advice about making recovery images -- everybody should have a set. I'd recommend copying them to dvds or to an external usb drive or such -- against the day when the internal hard drive fails.

Download link => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/cannot-find-digital-river-download-site/66a8439b-0d16-4b70-92f7-1c8486a46ebf

Guest LilBambi

Is this going to be a Dell OEM version of the OS or a retail version for the download?

In other words, will it work with ANY type of license; retail or OEM?

In the past, certain licenses had to be used with certain types of Windows installer versions.

I have heard that this was possible but had not had an opportunity to confirm this for myself as yet with a Dell Windows OEM license key.

Seems like a bit of a joke to me. With my Gateway pre-installed key I get:

Unsupported Product

The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Ahhh...OK. So I dug out my retail disk and punched in the code. I get a quick flash of the screen with no results, or:

Unsupported Language Error

The language you have selected is not available for the product you are eligible for. Please select a different language.

What was the language you ask? English! I tried a few other languages with the same result.

Kevin

Is this going to be a Dell OEM version of the OS or a retail version for the download?

In other words, will it work with ANY type of license; retail or OEM?

In the past, certain licenses had to be used with certain types of Windows installer versions.

I have heard that this was possible but had not had an opportunity to confirm this for myself as yet with a Dell Windows OEM license key.

Uhmmm ... I can't claim wide experience on this, but I believe that the only difference would be the inclusion of Dell-specific hardware drivers. Which you could presumably download from a Dell site. And some OEM disks will have a file in the 386 directory that preloads the activation key number.

Definitely works on a Toshiba or HP.

I am seeing elsewhere that this only works on Windows 7 computers that were purchased from "big box retailers" -- stores like Cosco, BJs, Walmart, Tesco, Aldi, etc. Dell, in particular, seems to be problematic Kevin, do you have a Dell?

Dell, in particular, seems to be problematic Kevin, do you have a Dell?

No, as I said, Gateway. The machine was given to me so I'm not sure where it originated but it would have been either Future Shop or Staples in Canada.